Hi guys, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but as it involves a tuner I put it here anyway.

I have noticed a couple of times that when I am trying to learn a song using Tux Guitar I sound like I am out of tune but I have checked with my tuner and that shows the guitar is definitely in tune.
I am playing the Tux guitar on a laptop and only using the built in speakers so this could be a possibility that they are out (although I was using an on-line tuner until recently (and checked again with it last night) and wasn't having any problems with the sound from the laptop).

Is it something stupid that I am doing wrong (could even include my ear not trained well enough yet)?
A possibility that the tuner is no good (it was a pretty cheap one)?
The song I am trying is drop tuned and I am not (I do try and read the music and make sure that it matches the fret board but I am still a very new beginner to all that)?
Tux Guitar sounds are just not that good (please advise if you think that Guitar Pro is that much better that it is worth the investment, bearing in mind that I am only a beginner and the brief look I had at GP made it look very complicated and difficult to use)?

Or ....... what else could it be?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
Make sure it is on 440HZ, and make sure your guitar is intonated

Even though A should be 432...

^On second thought, don't mind that, it may just confuse you.
Where's Waldo?
You're right, that has confused me. I know the tuner is showing 440hz though.

Edit: And how do I check the guitar is intonated? I checked that tuning at the 12th fret if that helps.
Last edited by Henry Wilt at Jul 26, 2011,
If you tune your E correctly, does it read E on the 12th fret, and does the 12th fret harmonic also read E?
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
If you tune your E correctly, does it read E on the 12th fret, and does the 12th fret harmonic also read E?

Yes it reads E on the 12th fret but I didn't try a harmonic, I haven't really learnt how to do harmonics yet but I'll give it a go tonight.
Just lightly rest (don't fret) your finger over the 12th fret and strum.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Just lightly rest (don't fret) your finger over the 12th fret and strum.

OK, thanks, I'll give that a go.
As the guitar is only a few weeks old there shouldn't be a problem though should there?
for the harmonic it should look and feel as if you aren't really touching the string.
I think hes thinking of pinch harmonics.
Search up a video of how to do natural harmonics and then do them and see if your guitar is intonated right.
if so i don't really know what to tell you...
OK, I've tried the harmonic on the 12th fret (easier than I thought ) and all the strings are in tune. So that means the guitars intonation is OK right?

So any other clues about my problem described in the OP?
The song maybe is in a different tuning. Not everything is in standard tuning. if you are downloading tabs the author usually puts the tuning in the info. If you don't know about tunings, go to Wikipedia and search guitar tuning and it will explain how to achieve the tuning you need.

Does that help?
Quote by Grawgos
The song maybe is in a different tuning. Not everything is in standard tuning. if you are downloading tabs the author usually puts the tuning in the info. If you don't know about tunings, go to Wikipedia and search guitar tuning and it will explain how to achieve the tuning you need.

Does that help?

Unfortunately not really.
There is no info that I can see on either of the songs I have tried that says anything about different tunings, and as I said in the OP I have tried comparing the actual musical notation to compare to the tab and it seems correct to standard tuning.

Maybe it is just the sound from Tux Guitar that is throwing me but I swear that it sounds out of tune. My wife agreed also although she just said I must be playing it wrong! ("Thanks for the support luv!" )
Lol at the answers in this thread. Tux Guitar doesn't play the notes in the exact same pitch as your guitar would, it's close, but it's not accurate, there's a bunch of factors affecting your guitars tuning, how hard you fret, if you fret it straight, ect.

Tux guitar and your tuning will usually never line up 100%. It'll just sound close enough to give you an idea.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Lol at the answers in this thread. Tux Guitar doesn't play the notes in the exact same pitch as your guitar would, it's close, but it's not accurate, there's a bunch of factors affecting your guitars tuning, how hard you fret, if you fret it straight, ect.

Tux guitar and your tuning will usually never line up 100%. It'll just sound close enough to give you an idea.

Thanks for that, at least I now know it's not me going mad!

Is Guitar Pro better for the pitch/sounds to play along?
And is it as hard to understand and use as it appears on 1st viewing?
I find it hard to use any of them, but they are mainly just designed to help you write songs, or learn songs, not to actually be a accurate representation of what the song should sound like.

They all suck in my opinion, but they are useful for learning or writing out songs if you can't play your guitar atm, or wondering what it would sound like with drums and bass or layered guitars.

I typically just write my tabs on notepad and I play them on guitar to figure out where to go. I'm old school though.
I own Tux Guitar and Guitar Pro 6. Both sound near the same really. Crappy computer synthesizer. And as you stated earlier, the song is drop d and you are not. If the tuning is different, you need to change where you fret the notes. It wont be the same as in that tab. Try to download a tab that is done in standard tuning.
If the song is in Drop D, everything you play on the lowest string will sound out if you're following the tab exactly, because the string should be tuned lower (to a D), but you're playing it as an E, meaning that everything you play will sound higher than it should be.
Just use tux to learn the notes and timing and then play along with actual song. Keep mind too, that just because the tab is available on UG, doesn't mean it is 100% correct.

Wikipedia has good explainations of the different tunings.
Quote by IbanezBossShred
I own Tux Guitar and Guitar Pro 6. Both sound near the same really. Crappy computer synthesizer. And as you stated earlier, the song is drop d and you are not. If the tuning is different, you need to change where you fret the notes. It wont be the same as in that tab. Try to download a tab that is done in standard tuning.

If you own GP, you'll know that all you have to do is reset the instrument on a given track to standard tuning and it will transpose the track tab for you...(If possible, it's damnably hard to transpose a Drop-D 6th string open to standard tuning...)
Thanks for all the replies so far.

As I said before, I don't think either song is in a drop tuning (the songs are Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden and Thunderstruck - AC/DC) and if they are then there is no information in the tab (that I can see) to say so.

I'd love to be able to play along with the song itself to see if I sound right but I am just not good/quick enough yet so I am trying to use Tux Guitar training mode at a slower speed. Hence I am finding it off putting that my sound doesn't match Tux Guitars.

Does that make sense?
Neither of the songs are in drop tuning. And you aren't going to sound like the program. it's using a midi guitar. it is only supposed to sound LIKE the actual song.
just go to the track properties for the song your learning and it will tell you what tuning its in!
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
OK, thanks again guys.
At least I now know that I haven't got to worry about not sounding exactly like Tux Guitar. I'll keep working on the speed and hopefully one day I'll be able to play along with the original songs.