so, what songs by shredders do you like that arent totally focused on solo guitar widdling?

for me, im into a lot of buckethead tunes that dont even have guitar solos

but im really into this paul gilbert tune right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8nJSB31Cn0 , he doesnt have the best or most distinct voice or anything but i totally feel this song. Even for a tune by a shredder, its not so much of a popular song, but ive been listening to this on repeat for a while ahaha
Goodnight Kiss by Dream Theater. This song is the furthest thing from shredding, it's very slow and very emotional.

Wishful Thinking by John Petrucci is a pretty upbeat song that doesn't have any shred in it except for one small part.
a lot of stuff by Liquid Tension Experiment with JP are more emotional and slower. Like Freedom of Speech (my favorite), State of Grace, Biaxident,

I like Buckets' Soothsayer but it still has shredding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KUSkGeaUPU&ob=av3e

I'll never get why so many Vai fanboys use For The Love Of God as proof of him putting soul into music when he did something like this. This is beautiful music, right here.

Edit: The album version's a lot more restrained, too.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 26, 2011,
Gilbert also has a badass blues record out with Jimi Kidd. It's a bit solo-y but isn't shred-y.
Quote by blake1221
Laser Speed.

dear god this.

i still almost chuckle every time the bossa part starts

EDIT: John Petrucci's "Lost Without You" is pretty good. Switches between Jazz and Blues/Blues Rock a few times.
Last edited by sporkman7 at Jul 26, 2011,
Sacristy - Jeff Loomis

Joe Satriani - Starry Night

Those are the two that comes to mind.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Top of the World by Van Halen

Sure, there's a bit of wankery but it's easily not the focus of the song.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
ahaha, i spent a good few weeks nailing down the chords for laser speed, ive only got to about 1 minute and a half in and i kind of got bored i guess. does anybody think that this smashing pumpkins tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mn-3EqaO0E is sort of similar to when the bossa nova drum kicks in?

I know SP was a huge influence on btbam so i thought it may have been intentional, i actually never learned drown properly because i just play it with the same chrods as laser speed lol

and listening to it again, girl crazy is totally cheesy as hell but i love it. Jeez, if anybodys actually girl crazy then listen to it on my op, all sorts of stupid lovesick feelings
Quote by The_Sophist
Sacristy - Jeff Loomis

THats a great song. Its really reminicnisnt of jason becker
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by necrosis1193
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KUSkGeaUPU&ob=av3e

I'll never get why so many Vai fanboys use For The Love Of God as proof of him putting soul into music when he did something like this. This is beautiful music, right here.

Edit: The album version's a lot more restrained, too.

Vai is gay as ****. I dont see how anyone can like him, just watch that video. Fan blowing his hair, abnoxious solo, retarded facial expressions, orgasoming over each note he plays. Biggest douche.
never got into vai

just sounds goofy to me, i mean there's sort of a violin/ erhu sounding style he's doing but i just cant get into it. It sounds just too off to me...
Edit: ^ Fair enough. Can I get another reference point in addition to Buckethead?

Quote by mickmos1
Vai is gay as ****. I dont see how anyone can like him, just watch that video. Fan blowing his hair, abnoxious solo, retarded facial expressions, orgasoming over each note he plays. Biggest douche.

Takes one to know one. Very applicable, looking at your post record.

Come on man, trolling isn't funny when it's blatant. It's a subtle art, the reveal can't come until you have the target eating out of your hand. This is just plain lazy.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 26, 2011,
Quote by mickmos1

and using gay as an insult totally doesn't make you douche.

Ontopic, Starfire by Dragonforce. It has a shreddy solo, but it's not the focus. The opening piano bit is beautiful.
Quote by piratemetalhead
never got into vai

just sounds goofy to me, i mean there's sort of a violin/ erhu sounding style he's doing but i just cant get into it. It sounds just too off to me...

Erhus are ****ing awesome
Check out my band Disturbed
Paul Gilbert - Fuzz Universe album. Not so much the title track but there's a lot of variations in the songs, other instruments take over. It's not just a guitar record. One of his best albums I think.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Joe satriani:
Rubina
Echo
The Crush of Love
I Believe
Cryin'
Always with me, always with you
Thinking of You
All Alone
Tears in the Rain
Saying goodbye
Z.Z's Song
Starry Night
Chords of Life
If I could Fly (decently shreddy, not too much though)
Revalation
Dream Song
Solitude
Wind in the Trees
Heartbeats
Longing
Those are just from Joe Satriani, some are more shreddy than others, some are just slow guitar with no other instruments.

Steve Vai:
Windows to the Soul
Tender Surrender
Whispering a prayer
Frank
But steve has a natural tendancy to play wanky stuff, but he can make it sound beautiful in songs like these.

Buckethead:
The entire "A Real Diamond In the Rough" album
Acoustic Shards Album

That's basically what I can think of from "Shreddy" artists who tone it down into something more soulful.
Steve Vai's 'Sisters' is my favorite by him. Its smooth and mellow.
Dean Cadillac 1980
I don't really understand the Vai hype. His tone sounds over processed and too hot for the style of music he trys to play (when he takes a break from the shredding)

I would say Paul Gilbert is both a master of speed and subtlety, this being a good example of the second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRJOIksICpQ
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
The entirety of of the album 'Colma' by Buckethead.

Man that shit is relaxing.
IT'S BEEN
Does Zakk Wylde count? And if so, Time Waits For No One is currently my favourite song
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9aZuYglcn4
I think this stands out as a good song rather than a display of technical ability
The live version is wankier (with unnecessary sweeps)

A lot of people have mentioned Steve Vai, but no-one's mentioned his song "Lotus Feet". It does get rather technical towards the end but I wouldn't say its wanky. It fits the song quite well.
Not everything fast is automatically wanky.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 26, 2011,