Hi guys,

I love to play solos on my 5-str Fender Jazz Bass with overdriven sound. Do you like it?
Can you share the names of such virtuoso bass-soloists (except Billy Sheehan and Cliff Burton)?
What gear do you prefer to overdrive your sound?
by the way, i use Guitar Rig's "AC Box Combo". Although it's not a bass tool, still the sound is beautiful and very sharp...
SansAmp BDDI, RBI or PSA 1.1 for your overdrive needs
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Evan Brewer is an amazing bassist in my opininon that just put out a solo album. Don't have a bass yet though so can't talk about overdriving it.
Quote by MetalFriend
Evan Brewer is an amazing bassist in my opininon that just put out a solo album. Don't have a bass yet though so can't talk about overdriving it.

Oh yeah Evan Brewer kick ass!
You can also enjoy a lot with Victor Wooten's stuff
Quote by MatrixClaw
SansAmp BDDI, RBI or PSA 1.1 for your overdrive needs

I liked RBI one
I do enjoy the occasional bass solo using my Epiphone Ripper into my Big Knob Bushy Bison fuzz.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I love to use my Dwarfcraft Devices Great Destroyer fuzz when I solo.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Low wattage tube amp with a boost pedal.

I use my Traynor YBA-3cs, and i use an old Boss ODB-3 or Humphreys Badder Bass Monkey... or go all kindsa crazy and click the Bluebeard Fuzz.

The next pedal i get will be a Catalinbread SFT... that has a lot of potential, me thinks!

I don't do too much "soloing" with my band(s), maybe an intracate fill, but no lead-guitar style noodling.

Some personal overdrive faves:

-Rob Wright, from Nomeansno
-Brian Cook, from Russian Circles/These Arms are Snakes/Botch
-Nick Thineman, from Young Widows/Breather Resist
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Anyone ever use a Blackstar HT Series HT-DRIVE on bass? I saw one going for real cheap on Craigslist and thought it might be cool to use for some tube grit tones. Someday I'll own a Sansamp BDDI... someday.
Play my bass'es trough a Laney LG35r Guitar amp with the drive channel engage i dialed in a killer overdriven tone love it
Quote by vonroden
Play my bass'es trough a Laney LG35r Guitar amp with the drive channel engage i dialed in a killer overdriven tone love it

Oh yeah man, +1 about playing bass through Guitar gear!! I do the same and it's burning me. Just put the bass knob a little down to save the speackers

Desire plug my Fender Jazz Bass into Marshall Tube Guitar Head... Seems to be amazing for soloing with pick!
Quote by Paul 86
Just put the bass knob a little down to save the speackers

Doesn't do a thing to save the speakers.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I like figuring out guitar solos on distorted bass. I don't use anything special, just 10 drive on my sh*tty vox amp and my dean edge. So far I can play the solo to dead my MCR, and most of Tue lead harmonies and the easy solo from knives and owns by black veil brides. It's fun, you should try it , also fatal gear, I liked your ink avatar
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Last edited by ETHANEVIL at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by ETHANEVIL
I like figuring out guitar solos on distorted bass. I don't use anything special, just 10 drive on my sh*tty vox amp and my dean edge.

Like it too much. I use soft (G.Rig's AC Combo) to overdrive bass
I'm trying to learn how to solo like that, whats something good to play and practice or an artist that does that? I can't ever seem to find a bassist that does that stuff except a few random people on youtube.
Quote by Spaz91
Cliff Burton.
Virtuoso.
Wat.

Seriously though, look at John Entwistle, especially the 515 solo at the Albert Hall.

Hehehe... i always thought it was curious that Burton's Ric's custom color wa called, "OXblood".

Yeah... Entwistle OD tone is just so good... add to that his playing, and not much can touch the Ox.

I may be scoring a Japanese Explorer bass copy this week, and in preperation i sat down, lastnight, and worked through 'My Generation'. So much fun!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by Spaz91
Cliff Burton.
Virtuoso.
Wat.

Seriously though, look at John Entwistle, especially the 515 solo at the Albert Hall.

Thanks I usualy just try and play dedbass. Don't know his actual name but thats his channel name on youtube. Hes like a bit out of my leage. lol
Quote by Spaz91
Cliff Burton.
Virtuoso.
Wat.

+1, + Billy Sheehan although he plays only by fingers.