I'm having a bit of trouble bending. Having learnt the hotel california solo (the notes) I decided to improve my bends to actually make them sound better, to actually bend to the required height.

However whenever my bend is on the way down, I always end up flicking the above string slightly. Extremely frustrating.

Did anyone else have this problem? How do you get away from it?
I have that problem sometimes with big bends, and yes it is extremely frustrating. I wouldn't know the best solution to this problem. I've tried really slow but it still doesn't seem to work.
Mute it with your right hand?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Mute it with your right hand?

This. Solving this problem is all about pick hand muting.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Chozodragon
Bend the above string as well in the same movement but don't hit it

That sounds like the most awkward and clumsy solution possible..

Just some simple right hand muting should slve it.
Quote by Steve635z
That sounds like the most awkward and clumsy solution possible..

Just some simple right hand muting should slve it.

I'll try that out, thanks everyone
It's another of those things where it boils down to practice. Work on your bends at a slower pace and focus on maintaining control over the bend and being able to hold it at various positions.

As far as muting goes if I'm bending I tend to leave my index sticking up further than usual so the tip catches the strings above and mutes them, but I'll often combine that with some damping from the right hand palm as well.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It's another of those things where it boils down to practice. Work on your bends at a slower pace and focus on maintaining control over the bend and being able to hold it at various positions.

As far as muting goes if I'm bending I tend to leave my index sticking up further than usual so the tip catches the strings above and mutes them, but I'll often combine that with some damping from the right hand palm as well.

It's wierd, like it flicks off my calluses
That is possible if your fingers are still at that stage of having nasty bits of scrobby dry skin all over them - eventually you won't really have noticeable callouses as such, the skin just gets a bit tougher.

Also a played around wth some bends and it's not so much the palm I use as the fleshy part at the base of the thumb.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
That is possible if your fingers are still at that stage of having nasty bits of scrobby dry skin all over them - eventually you won't really have noticeable callouses as such, the skin just gets a bit tougher.

Also a played around wth some bends and it's not so much the palm I use as the fleshy part at the base of the thumb.

I always have that, guess thats the problem
It'll go eventually, try not to pick at the skin though as it makes things worse.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Have you thought about bending the string upwards? When bending upwards, there's less of a chance of the colliding string to ring out, and if it does, it's easier to mute. I try to do upward bends whenever I can, because you can't bend down a step or more on the high e.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Actually, apart from not muting, I find this problem to be caused by incorrect bending technique in many cases.

Make sure, when you bend, that you're bending from the arm and wrist and not from the fingers.

If you bend from the fingers it changes the angle of your fingers slightly so that they catch more on the other strings.