So, my band is playing a local festival at the end of August. I know festivals don't have sound checks. How'd you ensure everyone is at the right volume without going straight into a song? This is our first gig as a band and I really want it to go smoothly.

Any other tips for playing festivals?
You'll do a quick line-check probably.

Or you'll sound shit on the first song while the sound guy sorts your sound out.
So be nice to him so he'll have an incentive to do a good job!
Try having the whole band playing a riff/intro from a song to "sound-check" before you start your first song.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
First gig as a band and your ding a festival.......walking before crawling springs to mind but all the best
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
some festivals have soundcheck, especially to set the drum volume level, its just that theyre not usually done by the band, but by techs.
Either way, if they let you do the soundcheck, why not do it just because its a festival? the problem will be if they dont let you do it, are you the first band playing? if so there should be no problem in letting you do the soundcheck, even if hours before the show
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
So, my band is playing a local festival at the end of August. I know festivals don't have sound checks. How'd you ensure everyone is at the right volume without going straight into a song? This is our first gig as a band and I really want it to go smoothly.

Any other tips for playing festivals?

Do it before the festival to get everything set. If you don't touch anything, your amps should be good.

Too bad it never works like this
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by slash_GNR666
First gig as a band and your ding a festival.......walking before crawling springs to mind but all the best

We've done lots of rehearsals and stuff and we're pretty tight. We've all been playing long enough to do a good job.
Nice job getting your first gig

A tip is if you actually play Freebird when I yell it out, I will love you forever

No one ever does
All you need, really, is to make the goddamn dwarfs turn up on time and that your stone henge isn't 6 inches tall.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by slash_GNR666

actually, i find people are a lot less picky about music at a festival (probably something to do with drugs). my dub band just did its first gig at a world music festival on the isle of wight this weekend, we went down REALLY well, sold 7 cds and for some reason were asked to sign 4 autographs. i don't think we'd have got such a good reception at a normal gig venue.

congrats, ts. my tip - walk around the campsite an hour or 2 before your set, make friends with as many people as possible, and tell them to come see you. offer free food and people will come for that if nothing else.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Jul 26, 2011,