Hi, I'm playing bass in my band and I don't have my own bass or amp so I'm using my friend's bass. But I wouldn't like to use my friend's rig so I would like to have my own bass and amp. I don't want to spend too much on them because I would like to buy a new guitar amp too. Now I don't have that much money to spend but let's say that 500 € would be my budget.

So... First I think I need a bass guitar because our band house has an amp so we don't use our own amps. My friend has a Squier Vintage Modified P-bass and I like it. How does the jazz bass version differ from the P-bass version because those two would be cool? I have heard only good things about the Vintage Modified series. Are there any better basses in the price range (a bit over 300 € for bass)?

And then about the amp. I would like to have that kind of amp that you can jam with a guitarist and a drummer. We are not playing that loud in our band. I don't want too muddy sounding amp, I hate that too loud bass that overruns everything else and you don't even hear anything else than a muddy bass sound that I hate the most. So I don't need so loud amp, is like 30 watts enough for our band (we are not a loud band!!!!)?

We have a Peavey TNT 130 at our band house and I like its sound. But my amp should cost under 200 €. Are there good amps in the price range? So if 30 watt amp is enough for me what do you think about Laney RB2 and are there better amps in the price range (150-200&euro? Should I trust on Behringer or Harley Benton amps (I think not)? But I don't need the amp right now, the bass guitar is more important.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
get a epiphone thunderbird pro iv off thomann , its the best bass for its price which is only slightly more than the vm series off thomann.de . its got humbucking active pickups and pre-amp modelled after seymour duncan basslines and neck through body construction . as for an amp if you can find a line 6 ld series amp in your price range they are great . good luck with it :P
Quote by OMcE96
get a epiphone thunderbird pro iv off thomann , its the best bass for its price which is only slightly more than the vm series off thomann.de . its got humbucking active pickups and pre-amp modelled after seymour duncan basslines and neck through body construction . as for an amp if you can find a line 6 ld series amp in your price range they are great . good luck with it :P

What.

Like... seriously....

Mate, just have a try of the Squier VM and CV series and any others in the price range, but they'll most likely be your best bet. You'll find the Jazz will have a bit more growl whereas the precision is a punch machine.
Quote by OMcE96

Well... I don't need a digital amp. I'm not going to use effects that much. And if I need fx, I have a Digitech RP355 for guitar. It also works with bass, I think. And I have heard that Epiphone basses are not that good. Do you guys know anything about Ibanezes? I liked the Squier VM bass very much so that would maybe be the bass I want.

I want to hear your thoughts about the wattage and model of the amp. Remember: I don't like a bass sound that overruns everything else. I want everybody to hear my playing but guitar is the main instrument of our band, it plays the melodies. And we have only one guitarist. So Laney RB2 or something else? I am able to try Squier VM series and Laney RB series in the music stores near us. One music store sells Orange amps and Esp guitars, second sells Ibanez and Laney and third sells fenders, gibsons, marshalls and lots of other stuff.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
IF you dont want a sound that 'over runs everythin' just cut your mids and turn down a litttle? but something like a Squire VM Jazz. You really cant go wrong with them and they are pretty much on par with mexican fenders... I play a VM P-bass and i like it more than the fender jazz i had before! AS for amps, try out a few and buy the loudest and nicest sounding thing you can with the money you have left. Beginner amps are beginner amps. They all sound pretty shitty so just try a bunch out and see what you like the most!

EDIT: As for wattage, around 50watts will do you fine for practice situations but for gigs you need at least 100watts...
Last edited by SamWhiteBASS at Jul 26, 2011,
People can scream "JAZZ!" and "P-BASS" at you all day but in the end you're just going to have to play both to work out which you like better, you'll find a lot of Fender guys are either J guys, or P guys and have a distaste for the other, personally I lean more to the Jazz side but I like a nice P as well.
With a Jazz you're looking at a slimmer neck, which you might like a bit more coming from guitar (from what I remember those So-Cal necks are pretty small.) and obviously the P is a bit chunkier. Tonal possibilities have already been explained so I wont go into that.
I've heard mixed reviews about the T-Bird Pro series, but I really want to get my hands on one to try, they look great on paper but with Epiphone's track record regarding their basses there's no way in hell I'd buy one without playing it first.
Ibanez aren't my cup of tea, but they can get pretty versatile. In your price range you'd be looking at the GSR200 and possibly the SR300.

For an amp, try and look used. You can usually pick up old Trace, Peavey, probably Ashdown in your neck of the woods and a few other brands. If you guys just dick around maybe 50 watts might do ok, I'd recommend 100 at least though.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
People can scream "JAZZ!" and "P-BASS" at you all day but in the end you're just going to have to play both to work out which you like better, you'll find a lot of Fender guys are either J guys, or P guys and have a distaste for the other, personally I lean more to the Jazz side but I like a nice P as well.
With a Jazz you're looking at a slimmer neck, which you might like a bit more coming from guitar (from what I remember those So-Cal necks are pretty small.) and obviously the P is a bit chunkier. Tonal possibilities have already been explained so I wont go into that.
I've heard mixed reviews about the T-Bird Pro series, but I really want to get my hands on one to try, they look great on paper but with Epiphone's track record regarding their basses there's no way in hell I'd buy one without playing it first.
Ibanez aren't my cup of tea, but they can get pretty versatile. In your price range you'd be looking at the GSR200 and possibly the SR300.

For an amp, try and look used. You can usually pick up old Trace, Peavey, probably Ashdown in your neck of the woods and a few other brands. If you guys just dick around maybe 50 watts might do ok, I'd recommend 100 at least though.

Our school has those two Ibanez basses. The GSR200 has more "loose" sound and the SR300 has more "tight" sound. GSR works better with Laney amp and SR works better with an old HH amp (damn I would like to have that one, I hope that our school decides to buy a new bass amp so I can buy that amp).

But about the wattage. Our guitarist uses in our band practices an ENGL Screamer (50 watts) and we keep the master volume at about 2 (and channel volume full). I don't know if we gigged. So you need more watts for bass amp than for guitar amp? And how loud should I keep the volume of the bass amp (if it was 30 or 50 watt) because I don't think we are going to crank the volumes up. Of course a bit louder than in band practices but we are not going to be something like KISS or Mötley Crüe (everything cranked) because if we gigged the gig would be at some club or smaller place. But yeah, I think buying some used amp is the best option for my budget.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 28, 2011,
OK, so I have checked out some used bass amps. So there's three amps that cost 150 €: Peavey TKO 115, Peavey TNT 150 and Warwick Sweet 15. And then there's a Roland GB50. I don't exactly know the price, he's selling the amp with a Harley Benton bass and they cost 220 € together so I assume the amp is about 100-150€. So which of them is the best? And I think P bass is my thing, I like its Van Halen/Black Sabbath/Guns N' Roses sound. And I really like my friend's Squier VM. Let's hope I can buy it.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
OK, so I have checked out some used bass amps. So there's three amps that cost 150 €: Peavey TKO 115, Peavey TNT 150 and Warwick Sweet 15. And then there's a Roland GB50. I don't exactly know the price, he's selling the amp with a Harley Benton bass and they cost 220 € together so I assume the amp is about 100-150€. So which of them is the best? And I think P bass is my thing, I like its Van Halen/Black Sabbath/Guns N' Roses sound. And I really like my friend's Squier VM. Let's hope I can buy it.

even though i'd rather a jazz, Squiers Vintage Modified are the best basses i've tried when i was in a similar situation as yours.

as far as amp goes, definetly go used. i got a nic ol' fender that has the better tone of the amps i could try (all the others being new) and also more watts. if you can, try to try some of those used amps in a store, or at least some similar new model of the same brand so that you can get the picture of it.

ans, the simplest, though the best advice: try as much things as you can in your budget.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Lower frequencies require more wattage to project the same level of volume, so yeah, you need more wattage than you would a guitar amp. Also, you can't go wrong with a Squier bass. I'm a P-Bass person myself, but it's all personal preference.
The thing is that I can't try the amps because the guys who sell those amps are too far away from our home. The TNT and the Warwick are in the same town. Oh, and both Peaveys are from the '80s and the Warwick is newer. I have tried a Peavey TNT 130 and I liked it. But I want to know if some of those amps are better than TNT.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Hey, there's a used Mexican 60th anniversary Fender P bass for sale for 330€! Maybe I should buy it? It's just hard to decide because I'm not sure if I have enough money and if I had I wouldn't have any money to buy other stuff. But that seems like a good deal. And he sells it in Helsinki, so it's near to my house so I can try it. Oh, and those amps I mentioned are sold. But I don't think I'm going to buy an amp now because I don't need it right now, I'm using the amps that are at our band practicing place.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Bumping this thread again... I have now bought a Laney VC30 but I would still like to buy a bass. I don't want to borrow my friend's bass forever. My birthday is coming soon so I thought that what if I bought a bass as my birthday present.

So... What do you guys think about Yamaha RBX300 from the '90s for €170? Does anybody have any experience with that bass?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Those Peavey amps are old because they never die. I had a TNT 130 for a bit, loud enough, and had a weird chorus effect onboard as well, and a lot of EQ shaping.

It will never die, but you might want to put casters on it or get a trolly/skateboard. Those beasts are heavy and you'll wish you were dead carrying it too far.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Bumping this thread again... I have now bought a Laney VC30 but I would still like to buy a bass. I don't want to borrow my friend's bass forever. My birthday is coming soon so I thought that what if I bought a bass as my birthday present.

So... What do you guys think about Yamaha RBX300 from the '90s for €170? Does anybody have any experience with that bass?

so you got guitar amp???

well, about the yamaha, I've had a '90s RBX, not the 300 but the 650. it was P/J config, 22 frets... it's probable that we're talking about a very similar bass, with different number. i made a review on this site about it. i think it's a good bass, but i preferred my VM. Still, it's great value for the money, depending on it's condition.

there's always a VM being sold used in different sites, so try to find one...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
so you got guitar amp???

well, about the yamaha, I've had a '90s RBX, not the 300 but the 650. it was P/J config, 22 frets... it's probable that we're talking about a very similar bass, with different number. i made a review on this site about it. i think it's a good bass, but i preferred my VM. Still, it's great value for the money, depending on it's condition.

there's always a VM being sold used in different sites, so try to find one...

Yes, I bought a guitar amp because at home I mostly play guitar. I don't think I'm going to buy a bass amp yet unless we start gigging a lot with my band. So first I need my own bass. I can play bass pretty well, I have been playing it for a long time but mostly at school, and after I got my first guitar I got much better. Never owned a bass guitar though. And now when I have joined a band my playing skills have improved a lot.

I just wanted to know everybody's thoughts because € 170 is pretty cheap. And judging by the picture the bass seemed like it was in good condition. But if I'm going to get a bass as my birthday present, my budget would be like € 200. So that's why I'm looking for cheap used basses and want to know if they are worth buying.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
well, if it's similar to my ol yamaha RBX650, you'll be fine. however, don't use your guitar amp with your bass, cuase you'll destroy the speakers eventually
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
well, if it's similar to my ol yamaha RBX650, you'll be fine. however, don't use your guitar amp with your bass, cuase you'll destroy the speakers eventually

Yeah, I've heard of that. And I wasn't planning to. But you could use a guitar amp but if you crank it up, then the speaker could blow up. I don't think it will if only used at low volume levels.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Tomorrow I'm going to a guitar store to try a Tokai TB48 Thunderbird bass. One guy is selling it for €260 (it costs €450 new) and he hasn't even used it. Does anybody have any experiences of that model or Thunderbirds? Can they do blues or funk? My main style is rock but we have some bluesy and funky songs, though they are pretty near to rock. Can it do slap? I know I'm going to buy a bass soon because now I have the money.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
By now if you're still looking you need to get something. I would recommend a VM or CV squier, or a Yamaha RBX170, 270, 374, or 375 if you have much of a choice but you really need to get a bass by now.
Quote by chatterbox272
By now if you're still looking you need to get something. I would recommend a VM or CV squier, or a Yamaha RBX170, 270, 374, or 375 if you have much of a choice but you really need to get a bass by now.

I know. I have been playing for a year in a band on my friends bass. I know it's time to buy one and I should have bought it before but what can you do when you don't have the money? But now I have the money and I will buy a bass ASAP. Today I'm going to a music store and I'm going to try a Tokai TB48 Thunderbird and maybe something else.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Tried TB48 today and it was great. Sounded and played great. It didn't have the P bass sound that I was looking for but it had other kind of sound that I liked. Full, rich sound and also a bit more variety than P bass. It was kind of easier to play than my friend's Squier P bass (that was much easier to play than our school's Ibanez SR basses). I think I'm going to buy it from the guy who sells it for €260 (almost half the price of a new one and it's almost brand new). And it looks bitchin.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Tomorrow I'm going to a guitar store to try a Tokai TB48 Thunderbird bass. One guy is selling it for €260 (it costs €450 new) and he hasn't even used it. Does anybody have any experiences of that model or Thunderbirds? Can they do blues or funk? My main style is rock but we have some bluesy and funky songs, though they are pretty near to rock. Can it do slap? I know I'm going to buy a bass soon because now I have the money.

Just bought a Squier Affinty 5 string as a back up to my G&L L2500, quite frankly at £210 GBP/$270 USD it is amazing and used it on several gigs, a major improvement that I added recently was a J-Retro active kit that can be fitted in minutes.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Ibanez SR300 (299eur at thomann) and an ashdown perfect 10 2012 model (187eur).

Seriously guys, why do you always suggest the Squire VM. I have played a few of them and hated every last one, actually for that matter I've hated every single Squier/Fender I've ever played. Now, I appreciate it's a matter of opinion but what do you people actually see with Squier that I don't?
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Quote by Spanner93
Ibanez SR300 (299eur at thomann) and an ashdown perfect 10 2012 model (187eur).

Seriously guys, why do you always suggest the Squire VM. I have played a few of them and hated every last one, actually for that matter I've hated every single Squier/Fender I've ever played. Now, I appreciate it's a matter of opinion but what do you people actually see with Squier that I don't?

I have now decided that I'm going to buy the Tokai for €260.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I have now decided that I'm going to buy the Tokai for €260.

Took you a year to decide?
Quote by W4RP1G
Took you a year to decide?

Yes.

Well, I have had something other to buy and now I got the money so now i can buy the bass.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115