Alright. I'm laerning Hollywood ***** by Papa Roach, and thr main riff needs fast switching between powerchord and notes, and everytime i play it, the A string keeps ringing after the chord is played, and with distortion on, the A strint mess up the whole thing. Any trick to keep that from happening at gigs?
If I'm right in the bit that your talking about mate, when you play the 2 power chords and switch to the single note riff, try using your palm to mute the lower strings so they don't ring out too much.

EDIT: Another thing you might be doing is kind of pulling your first finger off the A string when releasing for the single notes. Try just lifting off a little and sliding your hand up to the position for the single note riff.
Last edited by T.A.Z at Jul 26, 2011,
Yeah, tried this. But I almost always play with my hand behind the bridge, even for chords... And puting my hand on the string isn't comfortable at all I'va saw some people wrapping somehing around the nut, Is it done to mute unwanted note?
You could get a hair band and put it on the strings to stop ringing but then you can't play open notes and in a way it is cheating it is better to learn how to properly pull of string shapes and learning to mute with both your left and right hand
Yeah people like Michael Angelo Batio does it a lot and you'll see a lot of tapping players do that too. You could try it, however it does mean that you'll lose the ability to play an open note.

All you need to do is tie a bit of cloth of rag, even a tie? around the nut just at the start of the neck so the strings are deadened. As I say though if you want to be able to play any open strings in the song then this isn't a good option.

The only thing that I can suggest is to try and look at how your pulling your hand of the fretboard and check to see if you are catching the string and making it ring out. If you are you just need to alter your fretting hand to be a little more gentle when changing between chords and single notes.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Yeah, tried this. But I almost always play with my hand behind the bridge, even for chords... And puting my hand on the string isn't comfortable at all I'va saw some people wrapping somehing around the nut, Is it done to mute unwanted note?

So... you can't palm mute at all?

Don't mute it with a hairband or similar- you should work on your playing instead. Muting strings is an incredibly important technique for any genre.
Quote by Våd Hamster
So... you can't palm mute at all?

Don't mute it with a hairband or similar- you should work on your playing instead. Muting strings is an incredibly important technique for any genre.

I gotta agree with this, you want to really look at being able to palm mute.
That's effectively all your doing mate, you play the 2 chords then bring your hand over almost immediately to mute the strings with your palm, then start picking the strings.

You could probably even palm mute those chords. If you put your palm right at the back of the bridge andpress pretty heavy you'll get a light palm mute that sounds quite bassy, sounds great on Roach songs
Quote by n1ckn1ce
In fact, I said qlmost because the only time i do not play behind the bridge is when I palm mute^^

Good good, had me worried there for a sec

But like I said, work on your technique until you can do the riff cleanly- practice practice! it will benefit you in the long run