I'm looking for equipment which allows me to record my guitar and vocals into a mac and i have some questions.
1. What programme would you recommend? Garage Band is almost to basic i think however i am a complete newby to recording so it would have to be relatively simple to use.
2. I have heard about the 1/4" male to 1/8" cable to record guitar to computer easily, would you recommend this?
3. And what should I do about vocals? I have a mic but that goes into an amp and has a different cable end to the guitar jack.

Overall I don't want to spend TOO much money on this, however i am willing to make an investment. Thanks in advance. <3
Well for starters, read this
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284568

Second, Garage Band is a little basic, but it's an excellent program and I would guess that for you and your situation, it will be plenty good enough to get started on. If you want to go more pro and more complicated, try out Reaper. Free trial and only like $40 after a month.

Basically, you'll need an interface and a mic. I would suggest a Fast Track MKII and an AT2020 if you're on a budget. There are other good interfaces out there for a little more money like ones from Focusrite, Line 6, Presonus and the like if you want. There are also better mics out there for a little more money like the Rhode NT1A, mics from Blue, and others from Audio Technica.
Quote by sandyman323
Well for starters, read this
for a little more money like ones from Focusrite, Line 6, Presonus and the like if you want. There are also better mics out there for a little more money like the Rhode NT1A, mics from Blue, and others from Audio Technica.

Good point. But the truth is that almost all of this stuff is done by the same people in the same factories. Just like guitars, CD's, LCD's, mainboards, etc. :-)
1. Learn to play
2. Learn to hear
3. Learn to play togather
4. Record with different equipment (DAWs, recorders, mics, studios).
5. Experiment
6. Go to 1
When I first started recording I was in a similar situation, very little money and a Mac. If you are on a really tight budget, here is what I did:

I got a Behringer RCA to USB for about $30 and a tiny cheap mixer (this should accommodate the mic cable)and a decent mic, my total investment was about $125-$150 once I had everything I needed to get started(cables, pop filter ect.) I recorded in both Garageband and Audacity, but actually preferred Audacity for recording. I wasn't getting top notch, studio quality, but certainly decent sounding stuff, after a lot of practice. The band I was in at the time even used out PA as a mixing board and recorded our first demo this way...and it actually got us gigs, lol.

To get started, you don't need a ton of expensive stuff, just a lot of practice. Starting out on the cheap allowed me to get a feel for what I wanted to get out of my DAW and saved me a lot of expensive trial and error.

Whatever you go with, good luck and have fun.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.