I want to make one as similar to his without blowing a ton of money. My budget is about $1000 usd I want as punchy of a pickup as I can find, I also want to get the finish, I want the hologram stickers and wear almost exact, I want the left handed trem the heavy strings and tune it down a half step.

What I need first and foremost is somewhere to start, a sunburst strat that plays well. I'm not sure where I can find a good cheap strat that wont pain me to beat the hell out of and modify. Next i need pickup suggestions I need them to have that punch Stevie's had, next is the gold hardware. I'm not sure where I can find high quality parts from Fender possibly? or are there websites with quality parts on the internets? Last but not least how the hell should I go about weathering aging and stripping the finish that is probably going to be the hardest part of this whole project.

I appreciate any help I can get becausei am going to need it!
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
For pickups, might as well go with Texas Specials.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
This sounds like a really cool project. I would recommend checking out eBay or Craigs List for a used strat body. Off the top of my head, the cost of a Fender mexi strat body will most likely be around $175-$250, a neck may be more around $150.

For pickups, I would recommend looking at fender the fender Custom 69 set as that will give you a really ballsy vintage tone, those usually go for like$125-$150. A nice bridge and tuners will probably cost another $175-$200ish. The important thing is to not skimp on parts. The ball-park prices I gave should leave you with about $300 of wiggle-room to put toward the pickguard, hardware etc.

There's a link in my sig to a relic project I did on a Squier Strat body a year or two ago with plenty of tips on relicing. From what I've learned, the most important aspect of relicing a guitar is to be extremely conservative, doing a small amount of aging at a time. My tools of choice were extremely fine-grit sand paper, muriatic acid (to tarnish the metal hardware), a chisel, a flat head screw-driver and light brown wood-stain to make the exposed wood look more authentic.
Quote by Schism1985
This sounds like a really cool project. I would recommend checking out eBay or Craigs List for a used strat body. Off the top of my head, the cost of a Fender mexi strat body will most likely be around $175-$250, a neck may be more around $150.

For pickups, I would recommend looking at fender the fender Custom 69 set as that will give you a really ballsy vintage tone, those usually go for like$125-$150. A nice bridge and tuners will probably cost another $175-$200ish. The important thing is to not skimp on parts. The ball-park prices I gave should leave you with about $300 of wiggle-room to put toward the pickguard, hardware etc.

There's a link in my sig to a relic project I did on a Squier Strat body a year or two ago with plenty of tips on relicing. From what I've learned, the most important aspect of relicing a guitar is to be extremely conservative, doing a small amount of aging at a time. My tools of choice were extremely fine-grit sand paper, muriatic acid (to tarnish the metal hardware), a chisel, a flat head screw-driver and light brown wood-stain to make the exposed wood look more authentic.

I really like the squire its sweet the thing with the aging im trying to do is that more of the body is unfinished than finished and where it is finished there are dark areas and light areas and i have been trying to figure out how to get that
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

I don't know if this will be particularly helpful but SRV's pickups were unusually highly wound, which I think gives a higher output. Also, I think the neck & the body came from two different guitars which is why people find it hard to date his guitar. Maybe having an unusual combination of neck & body contributed to his tone. He liked really thick necks because he had big hands.
Rock [James] Roll
Quote by Jiimmyyy
I don't know if this will be particularly helpful but SRV's pickups were unusually highly wound, which I think gives a higher output. Also, I think the neck & the body came from two different guitars which is why people find it hard to date his guitar. Maybe having an unusual combination of neck & body contributed to his tone. He liked really thick necks because he had big hands.

Hmmmmm maybe the thicker neck contributed to some tone well the next guitar show in my area is in the fall and ill probably end up leaving with a thick strat neck thanks for the idea!
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

Quote by JAMBOIAN
Hi 27! Have you seen this

http://www.srvguitar.com/theguitar.html

You are the man thank you so much
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

Quote by Sleaze Disease
For pickups, might as well go with Texas Specials.

Them. I have texas specials and they rock the house, pretty much everything you need for blues and rock, I've played a few srv riffs and it sounds extremely good.
do you think if i make it to the srv specs exactly it will only be like good for blues or do you think i could still use it for grunge hard rock biffy clyro kind of stuff?
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

Texas Specials will do alright for grunge stuff. I used to run them in a strat and I play grunge and metal. With the right amount of gain and the right amp settings, you can do anything.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Awesome also where can I get reliable hardware at a good prices
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

Found an american standard strat 3 color sunburst for 150the that is an awesome way ti start
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

Quote by fmonzo27
Found an american standard strat 3 color sunburst for 150the that is an awesome way ti start

want!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
SRV played whatever was stock on Lenny, which I'm pretty sure the pickups on Lenny were just your average Texas Specials. He used .013 gauge strings, which are labeled as heavy gauge strings.

Just pick up a Fender MIM with the 60's style headstock and go from there, SRV's guitar was a 68 or 69 Stratocaster, or 60 something.
Relic is easier and more accurate on nitro finished bodies, if you could find a Highway One vintage sunburst body, that would be great but maybe its hard to find and too expensive.
So the only other thing that comes to my mind if I were doing your project is to get a solid alder strat body from warmoth and finish it with these
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Finishes_and_solvents/ColorTone_Aerosol_Guitar_Lacquers/ColorTone_Tinted_Aerosol_Guitar_Lacquer.html

The hard part for me would be the gold lefty bridge. I would probably ask you guys where to get that.
Quote by nick1962
when the dust settles after a nuclear war, Teles and cockroaches will be the only things still intact - fact!
Last edited by JohnnyGreenwood at Jul 30, 2011,
Not completely sure if you want to build from the start or just buy one but Ive seen them go for about 1k!

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/msg/2520155448.html

2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Jul 30, 2011,
Dont drop in texas specials. He didnt use those. He used '59 pups from a different strat in #1.

But I dont get the point in making a guitar EXACTLY like his... I was going to do that then I thought how douchey that would be. Have some creativity..I made my strat my signature, and I know no one has one like it.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by SKArface McDank
Dont drop in texas specials. He didnt use those. He used '59 pups from a different strat in #1.

But I dont get the point in making a guitar EXACTLY like his... I was going to do that then I thought how douchey that would be. Have some creativity..I made my strat my signature, and I know no one has one like it.

so if i never need a good amount of money fast i can sell it
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

also picked up a 2011 nitro finish alder highway 1 body to use and a neck plate with srv laser engraved on it
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive