I'm looking to purchase my first "serious" amp that I would be able to gig with and get a good sound for recording. I mostly play hard rock and metal. The budget is very flexible.
Could you be more specific about genre, examples maybe, and price? What is the ceiling. Also, what is your location?
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Check out the Carvin V3m I love mine! 3 channels 50/20/7watt switch makes it gig worthy!
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

If your going tube:

I swear by my Peavy Valve King, very versitile tone wise, it's a pretty basic all tube class A/B 2 channel, so you won't get to many special add ons to it, i.e. effects loop, effects, etc. but the head is fairly cheap.

If your going more pricy, Orange is the way to go.
Quote by shikkaka
Could you be more specific about genre, examples maybe, and price? What is the ceiling. Also, what is your location?

Bands that I play range from more classic metal, like Metallica, to modern hardcore bands like Alesana and A Skylit Drive. Black Veil Brides is also becoming a favorite to play.
what exactly do you mean by "flexible"? i understand that you mean you're willing to consider a variety of price-ranges, but if you don't narrow it down at least a little you're going to get a bunch of SLO and diezel suggestions just for teh lulz
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SchecterDean
If your going tube:

I swear by my Peavy Valve King, very versitile tone wise, it's a pretty basic all tube class A/B 2 channel, so you won't get to many special add ons to it, i.e. effects loop, effects, etc. but the head is fairly cheap.

umm... the valveking has an fx loop. i will 2nd it though has worked well for me.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jul 26, 2011,
Egnater Armageddon
Diezel Herbert
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade
Fryette Pitbull
it says on their site goes on sale soon, most likely before end of year
Ian Egnater said the lower cost Vengeance would be in stock by mid September.
I forgot about all the delays
Quote by SchecterDean
If your going tube:

im sorry but WTF ARE you talking about if your going pricey orange is the way to go? what if he doesn't like british sounding amps? what if he deosnt want to spend 2 grand on a rockerverb? A flexible budget as TS says doesn't mean any price... and to the valveking guy...dont get a valveking...i've heard many stories about them but i cant tell you. you go and try one...other than that check out used peavey triple X's on CL GREAT amps. theres peavey trip X halfstack by me for 600...thats a f'in steal. check craigslist for any brands you had in mind before also.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
im sorry but WTF ARE you talking about if your going pricey orange is the way to go? what if he doesn't like british sounding amps? what if he deosnt want to spend 2 grand on a rockerverb? A flexible budget as TS says doesn't mean any price... and to the valveking guy...dont get a valveking...i've heard many stories about them but i cant tell you. you go and try one...other than that check out used peavey triple X's on CL GREAT amps. theres peavey trip X halfstack by me for 600...thats a f'in steal. check craigslist for any brands you had in mind before also.

great you heard stories.if you don't have first hand experience then you really don't know. how much experience do you have with the amps you recommended?