Page 1 of 2
I have a bugera V5 (amazing ) but doesnt have a lot of distortion and i wanted to buy some effects... I saw this Digitech RP90 for about 100$ and was thinking of it (mainly cause of the whammy option, i just admire jack white too much...) but i think i heard that is sacrolegious to run a digital multieffect through a tube amp... is this true? will i lose the good features of my amp by doing this?

Quote by static_music34
your guitar doesn't exist, apparently

good one...
:Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Well, think of it like this.

Tube Amps are known for their Valve Distortions. When you crank that baby, It's gonna rock.

Every effect you put in your signal chain diminishes the output sound coming from your amp.

I have the RP70 (Same as the RP90 without the built in Pedal :V), and I run it through a solid state amp, but I refuse to run it though my tube amp (Super Champ XD).

When you use the RP90, or any multieffects pedal, you are basically running 8-9 Pedals at the same time, slowly diminishing the output sound.

If you were to only run the RP90, here would be your signal chain.

Guitar - Compressor - Disortion - EQ - Noise Gate - Chorus/FX - Delay - Reverb - Whammy - Amp.

The problem with multieffect pedals is that ever effect you turn on, slowly muddies your signal.

Some Tube amps take pedals great, others don't. My Super Champ XD hates my RP70.

Multieffects pedals work best with Effects loop, because your effects will be placed after the Amp, so your Valve distortion will stay intact.

The Bugera V5 does not have an effects loop, so you will have to keep the amp to a shimmering clean if you want to get a good sound out of it.

Sorry for the rant, I hope I made sense to you.. xD
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Last edited by Joe-Floyd-lover at Jul 26, 2011,
buy an effects pedal, and maybe a used whammy pedal (there are some knock offs that are cheaper) But yea the RP90 distortions and overdrives are terrible, along with most of the effects. And the amount of tone that it eats is awful. You're amp will go from warm and crisp, to nasty and muddy.
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover
Some Tube amps take pedals great, others don't. My Super Champ XD hates my RP70.
Try using the "Direct" amp model and then using the stomp box models for distortion.
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover

No man! that was actually really helpfull thanks
oh well too bad, i guess imma look for the whammy on a separate place (I cant believe they make multieffects with the expression pedal under 120 but the whammy by itself is more expensive than my amp )
a good overdrive under 70 bucks?

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
look if you want jsut teh whammy then get the MFX (i'd say at least RP250 or 255, but i just dont know anything about RP90 much) and then put it in front of your amp, turn off all the effects and put on the Whammy only, see if when the whole thing is bypassed you get any degradation if no be happy if yes build a passive true bypass box and be happy
Quote by HectorBznRg
No man! that was actually really helpfull thanks
oh well too bad, i guess imma look for the whammy on a separate place (I cant believe they make multieffects with the expression pedal under 120 but the whammy by itself is more expensive than my amp )
a good overdrive under 70 bucks?

Digitech bad monkey
Quote by Vendetta V
look if you want jsut teh whammy then get the MFX (i'd say at least RP250 or 255, but i just dont know anything about RP90 much) and then put it in front of your amp, turn off all the effects and put on the Whammy only, see if when the whole thing is bypassed you get any degradation if no be happy if yes build a passive true bypass box and be happy

I didnt know you could build those
but very helpful, anyone knows the difference between the Rp"small number here" and the RP250-55-"higher numbers" other than the color they come in?

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Quote by mmjohn
Digitech bad monkey

better than the Super-Overdrive?

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Quote by Vendetta V
dude check out the digitech thread in my sig, and ask the questions about RP there, the guys are really nice and helpful

as for teh difference, the RP90 has an older DSP chip. newer models are solid metal, sturdy, with a new DSP chip called DNA 2.

lol yeah right after i asked you i saw that it was on your sig thanks man imma check it out ^^

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover

Tube Amps are known for their Valve Distortions. When you crank that baby, It's gonna rock.

Every effect you put in your signal chain diminishes the output sound coming from your amp.

I have the RP70 (Same as the RP90 without the built in Pedal :V), and I run it through a solid state amp, but I refuse to run it though my tube amp (Super Champ XD).

When you use the RP90, or any multieffects pedal, you are basically running 8-9 Pedals at the same time, slowly diminishing the output sound.

Guitar - Compressor - Disortion - EQ - Noise Gate - Chorus/FX - Delay - Reverb - Whammy - Amp.

The problem with multieffect pedals is that ever effect you turn on, slowly muddies your signal.

Multieffects pedals work best with Effects loop, because your effects will be placed after the Amp, so your Valve distortion will stay intact.

The Bugera V5 does not have an effects loop, so you will have to keep the amp to a shimmering clean if you want to get a good sound out of it.

NO.
It is a single chip, not 8-9 pedal. It has the same effect as a single buffered pedal. Less actually.
Quote by kutless999
Does your v5 have an aux input? If it does, you can connect the rp via aux cable to youy amp and bypass the amp and go direct to the speaker. It sounds a lot Better that way if you have a modeling amp.

Its qa vintage all tube amp. So no aux input.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Its qa vintage all tube amp. So no aux input.

Well, he'll just have to try it out.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by Vendetta V
i still say that if the OP is buying it solely for a Whammy he'll betotally fine running it in front of the amp. Whammy goes before the distortion

and cause i wanted a chorus... but yeah those are about all the effects i feel like i need... thanks man imma try it in the guitar shop without any effects on but the whammy

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover

Wtf. Where did you you get this shit from? GG&A is really painful to look at today. maybe the pit goers have started to diffuse out to the rest of UG.
Multi effects are an insult to tubes. Get a TS-9? You don't need a whammy as badly as you think you do.
Quote by Dmaj7
Multi effects are an insult to tubes. Get a TS-9? You don't need a whammy as badly as you think you do.

MFX an INSULT to TUBES? You gotta be kidding. There are tons of guys BIG in the industry running an Axe FX in 4CM with a mighty tube amp like an ENGL / Mesa.

And alot of people love using tube amps with a Pod HD / Digitech RP / GSP in 4 cm to get all the effects they use in one box.
I don't care who uses mfx. I'm giving him my suggestion so he doesn't sound like a robot.
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't care who uses mfx. I'm giving him my suggestion so he doesn't sound like a robot.

What MFX of what age have you tried? Have you even tried any of the recent ones? They sound NOTHING like a robot.
Mfx sound nothing like a robot. The new ones sound better than you think.
Chill guys... emm Dmaj7 thanks for the advice, and the other guy I think i know how much i need the pedal or how much i dont.
Imma find a way of bringing my amp to the guitar store see if they let me try the pedals in my own amp
Thanks you guy (most) of you were of alot of help

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Quote by Dmaj7
Its still more fun to collect/trade/mod stompboxes.

Also a little more expensive... Im 18 man ._.

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Got one... But 120 a week wont do ._. i help pay the rent...

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Quote by HectorBznRg

Bummer..
Quote by Dmaj7
Bummer..

Sorta... anyways I will start getting some pedals, but its gonna take a while...

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Always check your local craigslist, for cheap stuff. People will sell anything to get quick cash nowadays.
I run an MFX out front and another in the loop of a superb tube amp. It works extremely well (granted that the one out front has a lot of analog effects and those are the ones I use in it). The question shouldn't be "will a MFX ruin my tube amp?" but rather, "is this particular MFX any good?"
Maybe save up your pennies and look for a used G-major or some other quality unit.
And as for FX loops; they can make some effects work a bit better but the absence of a loop certainly does not negate the ability to use effects. Most effects were invented long before FX loops were invented. They didn't suddenly stop working when the FX loop was invented. Any live recording you've heard made before the 80's was done with the effects out front. This obsession with FX loops is highly amusing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
TS, while I can understand that money is an immediate concern, I would still advocate single pedals over a multiFX.

1. When somehting goes wrong, and something will go wrong, it is much easier to troubleshoot a few pedals than the settings of whole multi-FX.

2. With the exception of a few multiFX, most multi-FXs will be complex to use and navigate. By their nature, multiFX are very versatile and powerful units. However, with this versatility comes too many parameters to adjust. Unless you're gonna really sit and tweak, its much easier to just use individual stompboxes.

3. A lot of Multifx have a few good amp models and effects, while the rest sound generic and lacking in character. Individual stompboxes tend to sound more unique.

4. A lot of multiFX tend to have high depreciation rates, so you lose a lot in the resale.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Cathbard
I run an MFX out front and another in the loop of a superb tube amp. It works extremely well (granted that the one out front has a lot of analog effects and those are the ones I use in it). The question shouldn't be "will a MFX ruin my tube amp?" but rather, "is this particular MFX any good?"
Maybe save up your pennies and look for a used G-major or some other quality unit.
And as for FX loops; they can make some effects work a bit better but the absence of a loop certainly does not negate the ability to use effects. Most effects were invented long before FX loops were invented. They didn't suddenly stop working when the FX loop was invented. Any live recording you've heard made before the 80's was done with the effects out front. This obsession with FX loops is highly amusing.

THIS.
Some MFX's sound good, some bad. Plain and simple.
And dont listen to DMaj, thats typical narrow minded tube snob advice.

Quote by ragingkitty
TS, while I can understand that money is an immediate concern, I would still advocate single pedals over a multiFX.

1. When somehting goes wrong, and something will go wrong, it is much easier to troubleshoot a few pedals than the settings of whole multi-FX.

2. With the exception of a few multiFX, most multi-FXs will be complex to use and navigate. By their nature, multiFX are very versatile and powerful units. However, with this versatility comes too many parameters to adjust. Unless you're gonna really sit and tweak, its much easier to just use individual stompboxes.

3. A lot of Multifx have a few good amp models and effects, while the rest sound generic and lacking in character. Individual stompboxes tend to sound more unique.

4. A lot of multiFX tend to have high depreciation rates, so you lose a lot in the resale.

This too. Though the last point is kinda moot, as anything that is very easily available will have high depreciation values.

EDIT: Hey wait, Cathbard has a MFX? I thought all you used was a GP8, a quadraverb and a tuner in your rack?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jul 27, 2011,
The GP-8 and the Quadraverb are both MFX units.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I wish they still made analog mfx units. Or do they?
Quote by Cathbard
The GP-8 and the Quadraverb are both MFX units.

Doesnt the quadraverb do.....um....verb?
And what does the GP 8 do?

Quote by kutless999
I wish they still made analog mfx units. Or do they?

this
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jul 27, 2011,
Quote by joe_k
Wtf. Where did you you get this shit from? GG&A is really painful to look at today. maybe the pit goers have started to diffuse out to the rest of UG.

Seriously... it's a wonder I even bother sometimes.

Quote by Dmaj7
Its still more fun to collect/trade/mod stompboxes.

This. You can build pretty much any drive pedal for under $50.

Quote by HectorBznRg

A cheap multi-effect is worse value in the long run. Just save and get the 2-3 stompboxes you will actually use frequently.

Quote by Cathbard

Thank you! People tell me I'm crazy when I say there is nothing wrong with running delays in front.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Doesnt the quadraverb do.....um....verb?
And what does the GP 8 do?

this

How much is that in U.S. dollars? And I mean like a lot of effects not just a couple. They probably don't make something like that anyways.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 27, 2011,
Page 1 of 2