Preferably a good one >_>

I'm just starting with this technique and a lot of the ones I see suggested are WAY out of my playing level.
seek and destroy? That was the first one I learned.

You obviously dont need to worry about the solo.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Critical Acclaim by Avenged Sevenfold? The main riff is cool and simple palm muting.
PERHAPS try Master of Puppets by Metallica at a much slower tempo, or any metallica song for a matter of fact.
Last edited by vayne92 at Jul 26, 2011,
Just try palm muting the chords of anything you can already play, you don't need a specific song to learn the technique.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Paranoid (Black Sabbath) and All the Small Things (Blink 182)
Quote by almosthuman36
Learning sheet music will add to your knowledge of music theory, which will add to your knowledge of writing, which will make your songs sound better, which will make you more popular, which will increase your chances of getting laid.
Definitely take a shot at For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica. That's the song I learned to palm mute with.
after you get comfortable with it metallica has good songs to improve like intro to master of puppets, seeks and destroy, but for now find a green day song that has palm muting and you should be able to pick it up quite easily.

lots of punk bands use simple palm muting so if your into punk rock you should easily be able to find something.
Quote by Geldin
Definitely take a shot at For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica. That's the song I learned to palm mute with.

What part of that is muted? Is the main riff muted apart from the chords? I swear it doesnt sound like it to me.
Ok so part from 0:57 to 1:13 is mostly palm muted.

I normally have slight palm muting on the section from 1:17 to 1:48.

There are open string mutes between the chords from 1:49 to 2:05.
Quote by Steve635z
Ok so part from 0:57 to 1:13 is mostly palm muted.

I normally have slight palm muting on the section from 1:17 to 1:48.

There are open string mutes between the chords from 1:49 to 2:05.

I see
Quote by Privet Tovarish
What part of that is muted? Is the main riff muted apart from the chords? I swear it doesnt sound like it to me.

During the chorus.

IIRC (If I was playing right now I'd have it correct) it goes something like this.

e----------------------------
B----------------------------
G----------------------------
D----------------------------
A-----5------7------5----8\3-
E-000-3--000-5--000-3--0-6\1-

Each one of those open E's is palm muted. There are also other various parts during the verse, and other areas where there are palm mutes.

But honestly, you don't need a song to learn how to palm mute, just play chords etc. as stated above.
Where's Waldo?
Last edited by chadreed32 at Jul 27, 2011,
Quote by 3OddOnes
Basket Case - Green Day

As much as I despise Green Day, I would have to agree with you here. And because I do despise Green Day, I will throw in one last, ignorant, flame-starting, half-wrong, insult because I can't leave on saying something good(ish) about Green Day without feeling like I just morally degraded myself. If its by Green Day then you know its for beginners.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32

But honestly, you don't need a song to learn how to palm mute, just play chords etc. as stated above.

That's something I don't understand. How do you strum a whole chord if your palm is resting on the bridge? I feel like every time I try to strum, my hand comes of the bridge and it stops the muting from taking place
Quote by Ragu35
That's something I don't understand. How do you strum a whole chord if your palm is resting on the bridge? I feel like every time I try to strum, my hand comes of the bridge and it stops the muting from taking place

Well I think my "chord" he meant powerchords. I don't really see the point in palm muting a C chord Just chug on a Em; great the bottom on your palm either in front of the bridge or on the bridge itself. Once you understand the concept, you can palm mute anything, it's really simple!
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
you need a song to practice the easiest technique known to man? just palm mute the low e string im sure you'll get it....pretty much every metallica song or any metal band use palm muting...
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
An advanced player would be able to palm mute chords, though I've never found a use for it.

Basically if you can't palm mute the power chord, try something like this:

-------------------------
------------------------
2---------------5---------
2---------------5-----------
0-0-0-0-0-0-0-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-

Basically, palm mute the single notes, and use other notes/chords that you know.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
An advanced player would be able to palm mute chords, though I've never found a use for it.

Basically if you can't palm mute the power chord, try something like this:

------------------------
2---------------5---------
2---------------5-----------
0-0-0-0-0-0-0-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-

Basically, palm mute the single notes, and use other notes/chords that you know.

Hmm... I think I already had that down without even noticing it before. What I really need help with are things like palm muting the e string and playing power chords that are on the a string or higher.

I'm not sure how to do the tabs thing, but its stuff like the intro to Orion by Metallica where you're doing open e palm mutes mixed with power chords on different strings. It's a bit frustrating for me.
Quote by Ragu35
Hmm... I think I already had that down without even noticing it before. What I really need help with are things like palm muting the e string and playing power chords that are on the a string or higher.

I'm not sure how to do the tabs thing, but its stuff like the intro to Orion by Metallica where you're doing open e palm mutes mixed with power chords on different strings. It's a bit frustrating for me.

Learn Unholy confessions by Avenged Sevenfold!
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
Quote by !Mike!
Learn Unholy confessions by Avenged Sevenfold!

So much fail...

If he's having trouble with the technique on a certain song, telling him to learn a different song with the exact same technique isn't going to help him worth shit.

Basically palm mute the low E and when it comes time for the the Eb minor third chord ( I believe that's the right chord), lift up your hand and play it, then put it down for the Palm muted B on the low E string.

If you need further explanation, just ask.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
So much fail...

If he's having trouble with the technique on a certain song, telling him to learn a different song with the exact same technique isn't going to help him worth shit.

Basically palm mute the low E and when it comes time for the the Eb minor third chord ( I believe that's the right chord), lift up your hand and play it, then put it down for the Palm muted B on the low E string.

If you need further explanation, just ask.

Sorry! Pretty sure title says can someone recommend me a song for beginners palm muting so I quoted his post and recommended him a song for beginners for palm muting.
Gear
- Peavey Vyper 15

Quote by !Mike!
Sorry! Pretty sure title says can someone recommend me a song for beginners palm muting so I quoted his post and recommended him a song for beginners for palm muting.

Just thought you'd have read through the whole thread first.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Just thought you'd have read through the whole thread first.

I probably should've done that lol
Gear
- Peavey Vyper 15

I started with Harvester of Sorrow. I don't think it's beginner level palm muting, more like intermediate because I busted my balls before I got it up to full speed. But that pretty much made it second nature to me, at least in intermediate level songs.
Thanks guys. The whole technique itself just feels unnatural to me at this point but i'll keep practicing I guess