Hi guys, just basically looking for some recommendations with regards to new pickups for my MIM strat. i mainly play pink floyd, hendrix and other bluesy rock type stuff ( dont like to play with alot of distortion.)

I bought this guitar with the idea of upgrading most of its hardware ( tuners and stuff) because i could justify the additional cost for an american strat - plus i really like fidling with things. Ohhh Matron.
Lace Sensor Hot Golds. noiseless and retains the basic strat sound, will work for the artists you mentioned.
What's your budget?
If you have a lot of cash, maybe look into some Bareknuckle or Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups.
For less money maybe some GFS pickups or the Seymour Duncan SSL1s would be a great upgrade.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
I've owned a couple strat with the EMG SA and really liked them Simple to wire, noise free and they sound amazing and for sure you can nail Floyd songs. And the the bridge pickup is still hot enuff to get some hair and classic metal stuff.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMGSASET
Quote by hansolo1106
What's your budget?
If you have a lot of cash, maybe look into some Bareknuckle or Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups.
For less money maybe some GFS pickups or the Seymour Duncan SSL1s would be a great upgrade.

dont have a fixed budget to be honest.
Last edited by Llyr20 at Jul 26, 2011,
Quote by Llyr20
have been looking at these fender vintage noiseless pickups they look pretty good.
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-vintage-noiseless-strat-pickups-set/2485

anyone tried these?

for what you want they should work pretty well. better than the samarium colbolts mentioned which personally i hated (but once again they probably would work wellfor what you want, i just tend to use a fair bit of distortion at times).
Quote by monwobobbo
Lace Sensor Hot Golds. noiseless and retains the basic strat sound, will work for the artists you mentioned.

These, or the Holy Grails
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Rockmonkeys all the way if you're in the UK

http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/

PM CorduroyEW, it's his company so he'll tell you exactly what'll do the job for you
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
+1 to Lace Sensors. Maybe look for a combo of colours to suit your needs too instead of just getting golds
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
right guys ive decided on getting a set of fender vintage noiseless pups. the only thing thats slightly worrying me at the moment is the installation of the buggers.
ive never changed pickups before - is it difficult?
ohh btw if i was going for a non noiseless pickup i was thinking about the custom shop texas specials? anyone tried these? anygood for my taste in music?
Do NOT get the Vintage Noiseless set, I had it, I hated it. It does not do very good at retaining the "Vintage" Strat sound and they sound very think. The only things I liked about them is that they were Noiseless and handled pedals well.

Texas Specials sound thin to me, they were supposed to duplicate SRV's sound, which they did not, but I think Fender also expected you to duplicate SRV's string choice and use .013's. That was the only time I thought they sounded good was with heavy strings.

I have never really tried much other than Fender Pickups, so I cannot comment on other brands, but I have used most current Fender Pickups. For the style's you listed, I would shoot for either the 57/62' Set or the Custom Shop '69 Set. Either will sound great, I feel the CS '69's are the best Fender pickups, they sound amazing clean, they give that bell-like strat tone, they aren't too thin, and they accept distortion and OD extremely well. The 57/62's sound equally great clean, they have a bit more "pop" to them and are very clear when clean, but I find with a little too much OD (like heavier Hendrix and SRV) they get muddy and thin at the same time.

Samarian Cobalts are nice, but since you don't use distortion, you don't really need the noiseless factor, and the Cobalts just don't sound like traditional single coils.
well i ended up buying a custom 69 set, arrived this morning. just installed them and they sound great.