not sure if this is the correct place for this but hey ho...

I have been playing guitar for just over 7 years and i have never really had a problem until recently. At around April/May time this year i was practicing for my second year performance exam (university) and i was playing guitar a lot more than i was used to. I noticed that my picking arm became tired quicker and i would leave the band practices with my wrist aching a little. This carried on and my wrist began to hurt whenever i put weight on it (i.e. leaning on it etc). Anyway i did my exam at the beginning of June and thought to myself "finally, I can have a bit of a rest and let my wrist get better". My condition stayed the same for over a month so i thought i should visit a doctor about it and he referred me to the Musculo-skeletal clinic. I had my appointment with him last week and he said that he found nothing when examining me except that i had bad posture, especially when playing guitar, that was causing a little muscle loss in my shoulder. He gave me a wrist splint to wear when playing (to make sure my wrist isn't in an awkward position) and told me some stretches to loosen up my tendons/wrist muscles and sent me packing.
Now, for the past couple of days after i pushed my dad to the shop and back (he is in a wheelchair, it took around 10 mins either way and there are a couple of hills :/), my wrist seems to have gotten a lot worse. It is constantly aching, something that only happened before when i had aggravated it, and there isn't much i can do without it twinging. For example i just sprayed my inhaler and it caned!

Has anyone here got RSI and recognise these symptoms? Can anyone recommend anything else to try to either stop it getting worse or help in any way? Also, does anyone here know the 'correct' posture when playing guitar?

Thanks a lot guys

Oh yeah also the masturbating jokes are hilarious but i only want serious answers. Unless its really, really, really funny.
Quote by Nemesis117

Oh yeah also the masturbating jokes are hilarious but i only want serious answers. Unless its really, really, really funny.

I had some wrist problems periodically and I found that wearing a brace (sleeping with it too) while taking a bit of time of from guitar really helped.

If you are playing really fast with your picking, you could be tensing up your arm too much. Make sure you are always picking from the wrist and never (ever) the elbow.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Last edited by shikkaka at Jul 26, 2011,
"correct" posture for your body is sitting up straight, both hands on the guitar. Your right hand should hold the pick between 2 fingers and stay relaxed, angled a bit.

Your left hand needs to have your thumb on back of the neck, imagine the neck isn't there and your pressing on your thumb. You do not want your palm flat on the back of the neck. That forces your arm to use tendons instead of muscles, tendons can't get big or strong and will wear out. Perhaps this is happening to you?
Go to a doctor if you're worried about it.

*reported*
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by shikkaka

I had some wrist problems periodically and I found that wearing a brace (sleeping with it too) while taking a bit of time of from guitar really helped.

If you are playing really fast with your picking, you could be tensing up your arm too much. Make sure you are always picking from the wrist and never (ever) the elbow.

ITS NGD SOON
i will wear the brace a bit more permanently then, hopefully that should help.
I always pick from the wrist, that might be the problem as i am straining my wrist too much :S
thanks for the reply
Quote by hansome21
"correct" posture for your body is sitting up straight, both hands on the guitar. Your right hand should hold the pick between 2 fingers and stay relaxed, angled a bit.

Your left hand needs to have your thumb on back of the neck, imagine the neck isn't there and your pressing on your thumb. You do not want your palm flat on the back of the neck. That forces your arm to use tendons instead of muscles, tendons can't get big or strong and will wear out. Perhaps this is happening to you?

yeah i don't sit up straight i just huddle over my guitar...

its not really in my fretting hand though, its my picking hand that hurts.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

*reported*

I have been to the doctor. And, as is his job, he didn't help. This is why i turned to my fellow UGer's to see if they could help.
Last edited by Nemesis117 at Jul 26, 2011,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

*reported*

Read his post, he said he went to the doctor and got less information than he anticipated. And like anyone concerned about his health, he is seeking more information from people who might also be dealing with the same thing. His thread is in the right forum and there's nothing spammy or inappropriate about it. Definitely not worth reporting.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?
Quote by irollemphat
Read his post, he said he went to the doctor and got less information than he anticipated. And like anyone concerned about his health, he is seeking more information from people who might also be dealing with the same thing. His thread is in the right forum and there's nothing spammy or inappropriate about it. Definitely not worth reporting.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

I always report any threads asking for advice that could be considered medical. Asking people who have no idea what they're talking about (people who aren't doctors i.e. 99% of UG) can be anywhere from unhelpful to harmful.

TS: having actually read your post now: your doctor referred you to someone else who gave you a reason for what's happening and something to treat it. Does it not occur to you that playing with the wrist splint on and adopting correct posture could be the solution? Freepower has a video on correct posture and all his vids are linked in his signature which is in ALL the stickies at the top of the forum.

Stop playing until it clears up.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I always report any threads asking for advice that could be considered medical. Asking people who have no idea what they're talking about (people who aren't doctors i.e. 99% of UG) can be anywhere from unhelpful to harmful.

TS: having actually read your post now: your doctor referred you to someone else who gave you a reason for what's happening and something to treat it. Does it not occur to you that playing with the wrist splint on and adopting correct posture could be the solution? Freepower has a video on correct posture and all his vids are linked in his signature which is in ALL the stickies at the top of the forum.

Stop playing until it clears up.

Thank you, that was actually helpful, in contrast to your first comment. My thread could be considered medical, yes, but the cause is Guitar orientated and as this is a guitar forum......
Hmm, the doc didn't really give a reason or treat it in anyway. It is all just speculation and "this might help."
Also i tend not to trust doctors too much. As i said, my Dad is in a wheelchair. Because of them.
Last edited by Nemesis117 at Jul 26, 2011,
@Freepower - that was extremely helpful. When i decide to take of the brace i will try some of that :P
Glad to help. Do remember that rest is the main thing - although after a month no improvement is a little worrying.

Are you sure it's the guitar? Driving, typing, boxing... all of those things matter. I actually type badly with my left hand and my index finger doesn't like it if I'm working on lots of typing, but initially I attributed it to guitar.
I'm pretty sure its the guitar, it started with that and i don't do much else to be honest (can't drive, type well, i'm a scrawny ****er so boxing is a no go).
it was a couple of weeks without any guitar then a couple of weeks playing at odd points, like every other day.