long story short im working on a dumbasses guitar and he basically put duct tape on it for no reason. the strap pole came out but he replaced it with a screw and after i took the duct tape off it was pretty solid so idk why he put it on in the first place.

so how how would i get it off without messing with the paint? ive been suggested goo gone but idk.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
a combo of goo gone, hot water, soap, and some elbow grease. I broke my strap lock on tour a few years ago and duct taped my strap to my bass. That took a while to scrub off haha.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
+1 for googone. my friends bass had vinyl stickers literally covering it. took a LONG time, but looked great after and you'd never know it was there.
*insert witty statement here*
goo gone may or may not be quite strong enough. if all else fails, you can use lacquer thinner to remove it. won't take terribly long and wont hurt the paint job. it'll leave behind a milky coating but that can be buffed right off. note there is a difference between paint thinner, acetone, lacquer thinner, etc. it has to say LACQUER THINNER.

i had a guitar once where a guy did some kind of frankenstrat thing over the original paint and he never lacquered over the new paint. i took some laquer thinner to it and after alot of scrubbing it was back to its original state, albeit heavily pick-scratched from the brush i used. most of the scratches buffed out though. ah well, live and learn.
i would be very nervous about lacquer thinner anywhere my guitars, that stuff destroys everything finish related. most modern factory made guitars have a clear polyester finish which is indestructable by any solvent, but i am still nervous.

but completely serious, charcoal lighter fluid is a great adhesive remover. ive been using it for years for stickers and tape goop.
Last edited by brentonlatour at Jul 26, 2011,
Quote by PTModIT
Ronsonal lighter fluid.

+2 (me and the mouse in my.... Head...)
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by Invader Jim
goo gone may or may not be quite strong enough. if all else fails, you can use lacquer thinner to remove it. won't take terribly long and wont hurt the paint job. it'll leave behind a milky coating but that can be buffed right off. note there is a difference between paint thinner, acetone, lacquer thinner, etc. it has to say LACQUER THINNER.

i had a guitar once where a guy did some kind of frankenstrat thing over the original paint and he never lacquered over the new paint. i took some laquer thinner to it and after alot of scrubbing it was back to its original state, albeit heavily pick-scratched from the brush i used. most of the scratches buffed out though. ah well, live and learn.

This......as long as you don't drown the guitar in the stuff then this (below) won't be a concern....

Quote by brentonlatour
i would be very nervous about lacquer thinner anywhere my guitars, that stuff destroys everything finish related. most modern factory made guitars have a clear polyester finish which is indestructable by any solvent, but i am still nervous.