Page 1 of 3
Misleading title - this thread isn't what you think it's about.

I'm from the UK, and from August I'll be on an exchange programme studying in Montreal. Here's the kicker: my girlfriend is on an exchange programme as well, studying in Amherst MA, which isn't a million miles away from me. In fact, it's about 400 miles.

Naturally I'll want to go visit her, but I've no idea how to travel in America. So far I've looked at:

- Amtrak - For some reason trains take about twelve hours and I have to transfer in New York. I'm more used to the British system, where trains go everywhere every half an hour, and are faster than driving. What the actual fuck?

- Greyhound - For some reason, coaches also take twelve hours and I have to transfer in Albany. Again, WTAF?

- Buying a car - I'll only ever use it to go to Amherst now and then, and it'll be expensive as hell, but it won't take twelve hours.

So, my dear Pit: how the hell do USAians/Canadians get places when they can't drive? And what the hell is wrong with America(an public transport)?

tldr: How do you get from Montreal to Amherst, MA without a car in under twelve hours, spending the least amount of money possible?
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Last edited by McTodd at Jul 26, 2011,
I drive. Even if it's really far away.

EDIT: if you don't have a car, i guess the best option would be train or bus.
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Buy a plane ticket and fly for about an hour or two.

Any idea how much that costs, where I can buy tickets, etc?
There are many things wrong with America.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Fly.

America is Awesome. I mean... American Airlines (lol, you'll understand when your on it)
I usually just teleport.

Public transport sucks here, but most people have cars so it doesn't matter.
There's something wrong with America because it doesn't provide public transit FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY?

I would suggest Greyhound. It's a bus company. Look into it.
Quote by McTodd

- Amtrak - For some reason trains take about twelve hours and I have to transfer in New York. I'm more used to the British system, where trains go everywhere every half an hour, and are faster than driving. What the actual fuck?

When did this happen?
Flying costs nearly $400 each way. EACH WAY.

I'm not fucking flying.
Edit: ^Well, what do you want to hear? Because there really aren't many other options if the idea of spending a half hour in a bus depot is really that unbearable to you.

Back in my day, we didn't have your fancy aeroplanes or locomotion vehicles to see our girlfriends. When I was a lad, we would circumnavigate the earth three times just to see them, in eight feet of snow, uphill. The earth was nothing but a rising incline back then! And we liked it!

But on-topic, if you're really that miffed about transfers, buy another plane ticket.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 26, 2011,
Quote by daytripper75
I usually just teleport.

Public transport sucks here, but most people have cars so it doesn't matter.

How do you do it?
When I do it; I usually end up somewhere else.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Trains in the U.S. take longer than trains in Britain because, YOU GUESSED IT!

Britain is smaller than a lot of our states....
Quote by Spud Spudly
There's something wrong with America because it doesn't provide public transit FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY?

I went Interrailling last year. That's a £300 train ticket that can get you anywhere in Europe all month. It's kind of a standard thing to have good transport links. So yes, there is something wrong.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Trains in the U.S. take longer than trains in Britain because, YOU GUESSED IT!

Britain is smaller than a lot of our states....

I've been from London to Edinburgh. That's 400 miles. It took seven hours, not twelve, and I didn't have to transfer in Cornwall.
Last edited by McTodd at Jul 26, 2011,
Train
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Quote by McTodd
Flying costs nearly $400 each way. EACH WAY.

I'm not fucking flying.

Well you clearly don't want to go too badly since every single option is unacceptable.
Welcome to America where it costs abhorrent amounts of money to do something fast. Yeah, our transit system sucks, pretty much. The only thing we got going for us is this "freedom" thing. Too bad we're all slaves to the dollar
Quote by McTodd
I went Interrailling last year. That's a £300 train ticket that can get you anywhere in Europe all month. It's kind of a standard thing to have good transport links. So yes, there is something wrong.

no one here uses public transport. Everyone just drives.

v And that. Why is this about the US when you are in Canada?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jul 26, 2011,
So you can't find cheap travel going from Montreal to MA and you blame our country on it?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by McTodd
I've been from London to Edinburgh. That's 400 miles. It took seven hours, not twelve, and I didn't have to transfer in Cornwall.

That's a little different than going in and out of the U.S. don't you think?
Quote by daytripper75
Well you clearly don't want to go too badly since every single option is unacceptable.

That's not really fair. I can't fly because I don't have the money. I was just wondering if I'm being a fool and missing something obvious, but I guess I'll suck it up and take the 12-hour coach.
Quote by McTodd
That's not really fair. I can't fly because I don't have the money. I was just wondering if I'm being a fool and missing something obvious, but I guess I'll suck it up and take the 12-hour coach.

The problem is that in America/Canada trains aren't a very popular form of travel, if you had a car it wouldn't be that bad.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
America is much less compact than Britain, it would be tough to have trains that go everywhere so often, even in a given region. Also I guess they never really caught on... but they seem a good way to travel. I don't know if there's a route that services your area, but MEGABUS is a useful company that has variable rates--if you go at an off time (like 4 am on a Tuesday) you can ride for practically free.

Incidentally, I've never seen a long-distance relationship work. I've seen dozens of them (including my own) go down in horrible soul-destroying flames. Good luck lol.
Quote by McTodd
Any idea how much that costs, where I can buy tickets, etc?

Try a site like expedia or travelocity. You can probably find a flight to Boston and drive west for a couple hours.
Driving might actually be better cheaper. Flying would take around 30 minutes.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
That's a little different than going in and out of the U.S. don't you think?

+1 Its because you are changing countries...
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by McTodd

See, the thing is most Americans have owned cars or motorcycles since the 1950's, when the start of the interstate highway system meant traveling across the 3.5 million square miles of America without riding a plane, which weren't as safe as they are nowadays, was actually becoming feasible. It's pretty much expected that most people over 21 have some sort of motorized transport. And given it's the third largest country and, as said, has millions of miles of land, much of it populated, it's not without reason.

Most people only take public transit locally, and even then the majority drive instead. As such, it's just not economically feasible to build a high-speed public transportation system when most people already and would still prefer to drive themselves. So yeah, you're not going to find the same quality or expediency in our public transportation as you would in Europe or the UK.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 26, 2011,
Thanks a whole bunch guys, there's a lot to think about (aboot?) here.

Probably should have called the thread "What the hell is wrong with America/Canada?" or "What the hell is wrong with North America?". I didn't mean to offend anybody, sorry if it seems like I'm taking the piss.
Quote by Lion_Slicer
America is much less compact than Britain, it would be tough to have trains that go everywhere so often, even in a given region. Also I guess they never really caught on... but they seem a good way to travel. I don't know if there's a route that services your area, but MEGABUS is a useful company that has variable rates--if you go at an off time (like 4 am on a Tuesday) you can ride for practically free.

Incidentally, I've never seen a long-distance relationship work. I've seen dozens of them (including my own) go down in horrible soul-destroying flames. Good luck lol.

All of this. Rail Transportation in north America are more like something you do on special occasions. And, like was already said, America and Canada are both extremely larger, and cars and planes are more convenient here.

EDIT: ^ WE DON'T ****ING SAY ABOOT

Quote by necrosis1193
See, the thing is most Americans have owned cars or motorcycles since the 1950's, when the start of the interstate highway system meant traveling across the 3.5 million square miles of America without riding a plane, which weren't as safe as they are nowadays, was actually becoming feasible. It's pretty much expected that most people over 21 have some sort of motorized transport. And given it's the third largest country and, as said, has millions of miles of land, much of it populated, it's not without reason.

Most people only take public transit locally, and even then the majority drive instead. As such, it's just not economically feasible to build a high-speed public transportation system when most people already and would still prefer to drive themselves. So yeah, you're not going to find the same quality or expediency in our public transportation as you would in Europe or the UK.

+1 internets to you
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by McTodd
Thanks a whole bunch guys, there's a lot to think about (aboot?) here.

Probably should have called the thread "What the hell is wrong with America/Canada?" or "What the hell is wrong with North America?". I didn't mean to offend anybody, sorry if it seems like I'm taking the piss.

I came into this thread all "Now hang on a damn minute!!!!.....oh well you see, yadda yadda yadda...."

also lols @ aboot.
Wouldn't a better public transit system benefit the USA? It would solve congestion, you can do work in the train, less greenhouse gases are emitted. Seems like a win, win situation.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
If trains in the US were faster and cheaper (Amtrak sucks balls) people would use them more.

That would lead to more train stations, less cars and trucks on the road, etc.

If you're going by train, stop off at New London, hitchhike to Norwich and say hi to me
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Neo Evil11
Wouldn't a better public transit system benefit the USA? It would solve congestion, you can do work in the train, less greenhouse gases are emitted. Seems like a win, win situation.

Well that would be swell and all, but our automobile industry is already just totally dominant. You can't get everywhere via public transport right this second, so everyone is going to go for convenience over anything else. Since a car can take you anywhere at a fast rate, people here will always pick that.

Train prices have to come down, there have to be more rails, stations, etc.
Quote by daytripper75

Yeah your bitching about every suggestion
Why would you buy a car? Just rent one, if you don't know how to drive, then please don't attempt, American drivers are horrible, and they'll prolly run you off the road. Otherwise, fly.

Americans don't need public transportation outside the cities, because we all have cars, and we don't mind driving 400 miles. Plus, our cities are not packed close together like they are in Europe, so, your 30 minutes to get to one city to the next may be 50 miles, in America, it's more like 150 miles to each major city(ballparking).

Also, we have a amtrack here in Austin, but it only goes two places, downtown, and to the middle of flippen nowhere, and it shares the cargo trains track, so it can only run at a certain time. And you can't build a new track system because everything is already built, you have to pre plan a city with a track system before you build it. So if a city has no train system, then it's never gonna have one, the costs to do so are just too much.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Why would you buy a car? Just rent one, if you don't know how to drive, then please don't attempt, American drivers are horrible, and they'll prolly run you off the road. Otherwise, fly.

This thread is now about which state has the worst drivers.

I vote anywhere in the mid-atlantic region. (People in Jersey and New York know how to drive, they just don't give a flying shit).
Quote by Lost Dog
^ WE DON'T ****ING SAY ABOOT

Yeah... sorry. My degree is in linguistics, so I should know better. Ah, it was worth it for the lols.

Did a whole class on Canadian English phonology once. Turns out Canadians mostly say "aboat" (it's called pre-fortis diphthong clipping), it just sounds like "aboot" to everyone else. True story.
Quote by beadhangingOne
I prefer just flying an arbiter there and using recall.

Too bad, we're the zerg. And before you pull that "we used mind control to get a drone" THIS ISN'T BROOD WAR!

****in protoss
Page 1 of 3