I've been trying to think of a way to motivate myself to practice more regularly, and since I don't know anyone to jam or start a band with at the moment, so I thought if I uploaded videos to my YouTube channel that would at least give me something to work toward (I do have long-range guitar playing goals but something like uploading a video every couple weeks would give me a slightly more tangible goal to keep me motivated).

Does anyone else upload cover songs or original songs regularly to YouTube? Any tips on how to go about it? Are there any copyright issues (covering other people's songs or protecting my own original stuff) I should be aware of?
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
make sure you:

1. show both the entire fretboard and your picking hand
2. balance the audio to make sure you can hear the song, but also the guitar enough to distinguish it from the song
3. make sex faces
4. make really enthusiastic sex faces
5. punch the camera at the end.

and yes, there are annoying copyright rules. it'll most likely be blocked in 'some countries'
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I do it too. I was just a little bored a few summers I guess, but I don't really do it anymore. First I find a legit backing track and I put it on my mp3 player. Then as I listen to it through my ear buds, I record myself playing. Then I take the footage of me playing where all you can hear is the guitar and add the backing track to the video (via film editing software). Then export and upload. All done.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
I used to do them every few months a few years ago but lately I haven't had the enthusiasm to do it.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I want to but I don't think I'm good enough
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by laid-to-waste
make sure you:

1. show both the entire fretboard and your picking hand
2. balance the audio to make sure you can hear the song, but also the guitar enough to distinguish it from the song
3. make sex faces
4. make really enthusiastic sex faces
5. punch the camera at the end.

Basically just copy this guy.
I posted something like 50 videos in a 3 or 4 month period of being unemployed. A few really hard songs and a bunch of no effort easy ones. Don't have the motivation working full time now. As someone else said, I record the sound from just the guitar while listening to the song in headphones then add the song to the guitar recording. Better than making a mic catch both the song and you. You won't get in any kind of trouble with copyrights but certain labels will block labels from certain countries is all.
Quote by sloppyjoe24
The faces! My god!

Listen carefully, you can hear him breathing really hard during that, makes it all the more funny
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Quote by sloppyjoe24
The faces! My god!

Didn't punch the camera, though. It's incomplete.
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
I post one every few months. Last one was about three weeks ago, but I can't say I'm too proud with how it turned out.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
I've never really understood why people would do it without making the song 'theirs' to an extent. I have watched a fair few in my time, but all of them me watching their fingers to pick up the right technique.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
i always want to but have no way of taping/uploading them.

the only thing like that i've done is had a friend put a vid of me playing symphony of destruction (solo) on fb
Quote by Anthony1991
I've never really understood why people would do it without making the song 'theirs' to an extent. I have watched a fair few in my time, but all of them me watching their fingers to pick up the right technique.

Well, the whole idea behind "youtube covers" is just showing off that you can play the song, or asking for critiques. Or, in my case to spam all my videos with links to my now defunct band. So people would be like, "oh, this guy can play Protest The Hero and Between The Buried And Me songs? Maybe I should look at his band link he puts everywhere."
one of my covers violated copyrights... only in Germany though
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by Anthony1991

I definitely plan on doing my own version of the song I'm covering, not just trying to show off that I can play the song exactly like the original. And I'm not going to be singing because I'm crap at it, so I'll either be covering instrumentals or doing instrumental versions of songs with vocals, but playing the vocal part on my guitar and and layering that over me playing the guitar part on my guitar in the video, if that makes sense.
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
I want to, but never have. I don't think I play cleanly enough
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Yeah I do. I do jams of songs more than actual covers though. There was a period of time where I didn't upload for a couple months for some reason, but the other day my buddy came over and we just made videos for both our channels all day.

Some tips I would give, like a few people have said, balance the audio, show the whole guitar, etc. Also don't spam the tags with random shit, keep it relevant. Don't do "sub4sub" because people won't actually watch your videos. Try to earn real subs, even if there's not many.

Goodluck man
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by HitTheLights81
inb4 everyone plugs their channels.

You can't inb4 on the 24th post, man. Because by the 24th post whatever you are inb4 either already happened or isn't going to happen. Of course now that I said this however, smartasses will probably plug channels. In which case... you're welcome.
I would, but I'm lazy and don't have any video editing software to mix the videos together, plus syncing the video to the audio would be a bitch to do as well.
Quote by Alex Vik
I would, but I'm lazy and don't have any video editing software to mix the videos together, plus syncing the video to the audio would be a bitch to do as well.

You don't have Windows Movie Maker?
Came here to post, watched that strange dude pulling faces. Somehow got on to a petrucci video, and noticed the large amount of Rocky IV montage videos in the related section?? What is youtube trying to say?

Anyway, nah i dont post on youtube but like many others here i think i would give it a shot if i had some decent recording gear / know how to do it.

Everyone is looking for different things in these covers, some people like the "omg that was EXACTLY right" approach. Others like the "dude you made it yours" thing. I think i'd go for an inbetween sort of style, hit the bits where people want to hear the perfection and then make it my own on parts that arent so memorable?
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
I do them, gives me a good incentive to learn whole songs and also serves as a tangible goal.

The one downside is that my camera isn't too good so it doesn't pick up fast movements (picking hand) too well and it goes a bit blurry.
I record videos and jam 'em on youtube.
Get some alright amoutn of views...though it hurts when I see terrible quality (in playing and audio/video quality) videos of people playing songs that I do have like over 30K views, where mine have 500.

I guess no one likes me on the internet as well as IRL...
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I record videos and jam 'em on youtube.
Get some alright amoutn of views...though it hurts when I see terrible quality (in playing and audio/video quality) videos of people playing songs that I do have like over 30K views, where mine have 500.

I guess no one likes me on the internet as well as IRL...

WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.