Hello, I have a problem

My bands bass player is unreliable. He says and promises that he will go to practice, or studio time, or wherever, and then bails at the very last minute. Sometimes on his own accord, sometimes because of his utter stupidity. Once he assumed that we would give him a lift when the rest of us were already at the venue, so thats pretty dumb.

And every time it happens, we talk to him, give him the ol' lecture, and he promises that he's dedicated etc etc, talks a lot and never changes. What's worse is that he's the one most proud to be in the band, like he'll tell everyone that he plays bass for us, and like posts on facebook and shit about it, get henna of our band name, etc. but is the one that contributes the absolute least, and almost never comes to practice anymore. Also, he doesn't know squat about chord theory, I have to write the bass parts for him so he'd play them. And a lot of the times he doesn't play them right.

So we're going to replace him, but we don't currently know any other bass players into our music. What is a good way to find a new member? We are in a college btw, so it shouldn't be hard right?

I'm just worried that we might not find anyone that fits. But our bass player really needs to go. This is the billionth time this has happened and we cannot trust him anymore, as a band member or as a person (he has some personal girl issues with another member that I am not at liberty to discuss).

And on top of that, we have some gigs coming up soon, so we have to make sure that either he shows up (which is very ****ing hard since he never answers his phone or texts, AND also because of the problems I stated above), or we find a good replacement super quick and teach him the new parts before the gigs

My plan as of now is just to ask everyone i know if they know any musicians and ask them for their friends etc. but it might take some time to find a good fit.

What should we do?
a henna tat of your band name? wow.... thats commitment.

It sounds like that guy wants the perks of being in a band (girls) without any of the work. Fire his ass.

If you are in the US, craigslist is great. Its how I found all my band members. Ask friends and friends of friends if they know anyone too.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
We're not in the US so yeah. I should stick to my plan of finding friends of friends of friends then?

Also, would it be a good idea to keep him around at least until our immediate gigs are done?
Well, depending on the music you play if the bass isn't super important (most metal) you can play without one and make the crowd aware that you are looking for a bassist.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Well, depending on the music you play if the bass isn't super important (most metal) you can play without one and make the crowd aware that you are looking for a bassist.

I pray to god you are trolling.

Anywhoo OP: have him do the rest of the gigs that are lined up, then get rid of him. He clearly isn't dedicated, and he isn't worth your time.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
How many guitarists do you have? Do each of them have a specifically important part that couldn't be played by one of the other guitarists? Cause you could always just have one guitarist play the bass, if you're pretty desperate.
Quote by Cheesepuff
We're not in the US so yeah. I should stick to my plan of finding friends of friends of friends then?

Also, would it be a good idea to keep him around at least until our immediate gigs are done?

I would kick his ass out and play without a bassist. Still look online. There must be some online method of you finding musicians.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
hey try to search for both a bass player and a keyboard player. both could do the job.
as friends, use facebook, myspace.
leave flyers around everywhere in towns, (especially next to music stores and instruments stores).

@Macabre_turtle, in every genre you need a bassist, especially in metal.

if you really really need a bassist let a *guitarist* pick up a bass, of course he'll not play perfectly but still better than nothing. or you could play without a bassist and as ^ said, try to say it gigs that u need a new member.

good luck
Our band is as follows : guitar, bass, vocal, drums

We play heavy-ish rock, but not really full on metal. Yknow like progressive-y stuff.

So the bass is pretty important and I refuse to let ourselves play in public without a bass player.

BUT STILL, even if we DID play full on metal, my god, I can't imagine doing it without a bass. I can't imagine playing any kind of rock without a bass. Or keys. And not sound like the White Stripes. Just sounds so noobish.
Quote by Cheesepuff
Our band is as follows : guitar, bass, vocal, drums

We play heavy-ish rock, but not really full on metal. Yknow like progressive-y stuff.

So the bass is pretty important and I refuse to let ourselves play in public without a bass player.

BUT STILL, even if we DID play full on metal, my god, I can't imagine doing it without a bass. I can't imagine playing any kind of rock without a bass. Or keys. And not sound like the White Stripes. Just sounds so noobish.

Search for a bassist while keeping the current one until you find one, at which point you drop the waster for the new one.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
^
thats a good one

^^
we dont have bulletin boards.

Actually , I'm planning on just like asking my friends in the music college across ours if there are any players there that want to join a band. I just needed a second (well, actually 4th) opinion on exactly when we should tell our guy that he's out. I mean like, because it would mean I'd have to fake it whenever I'm with the guy, and I'll feel like a jerkwad. But for the sake of music and for the sake of the band, that's what we'll do. We are gonna hold off until our scheduled august gigs are done then drop the bomb on the guy, and in the meantime find someone new in secret.

Thank you everyone, your opinions are wonderful. Operation : Get my Band a New Bass Player is now a go!
I'm not implying that a bassist shouldn't be important. Every band should have a bassist. And any good band should have a good bassist. I'm saying that not having your bassist doesn't mean you shouldn't still play shows. It'll help you catch the attention of other bass players. My now defunct band went a long period of time with no bassist, and though we never had a show during that time, I would've gladly played shows without one and just tried to pick songs where the bass played mostly root notes and didn't add much besides it's presence. So that a bassist could see it and go "oh, that band needs a bassist, maybe I'll try out."

EDIT: Some people have suggested keeping the bassist until you find your new one. It'd be kind of hard to look for a new bassist while leaving you're current one unaware that you're trying to replace him, don't you think?
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at Jul 26, 2011,
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I'm not implying that a bassist shouldn't be important. Every band should have a bassist. And any good band should have a good bassist. I'm saying that not having your bassist doesn't mean you shouldn't still play shows. It'll help you catch the attention of other bass players. My now defunct band went a long period of time with no bassist, and though we never had a show during that time, I would've gladly played shows without one and just tried to pick songs where the bass played mostly root notes and didn't add much besides it's presence. So that a bassist could see it and go "oh, that band needs a bassist, maybe I'll try out."

EDIT: Some people have suggested keeping the bassist until you find your new one. It'd be kind of hard to look for a new bassist while leaving you're current one unaware that you're trying to replace him, don't you think?

Well, that WAS the plan, and I started the tread because I was unsure if we could do this at all. See it would be hard to keep him on board if he finds out, and it would be hard to find a new bass player if we keep him on board, but we urgently need one very soon, but we also need him to play the next few gigs with us.

So the question now is if we can keep it covert enough? haha
is your bassist a short fat guy by any chance?
seen similar situation before

you say there music college nearby, if people there dont want to join your band try just hiring one of them. Assuming you are getting some money from those gigs, give the hired gun his share, maybe a bit more (make a deal with him/her). Above all - replace your incompetent bassist now, because otherwise you might actually end up basseless when time to go on stage comes
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Wait.Your problem is you have an unreliable bass player who can't play well anyway?

In that case you could practically get anyone else in and as long as they are reliable you are already in a better postition.
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
What country r u in?
Life Story.
Kicked ass at Guitar Hero.
Decided To learn Guitar coz I felt like a pro.
Kicked ass at guitar. Learnt Bass.
Now Guitar Hero looks so F***in Gay.
HAHA HA
Quote by Cheesepuff
We are gonna hold off until our scheduled august gigs are done then drop the bomb on the guy, and in the meantime find someone new in secret.

Wow... remind me to never play in any of your bands. And if I know of anyone, I sure as hell won't be recommending you to them.

Seriously.... you're going to jerk him around with this big secret behind his back, and then collectively lynch him once he has served his immediate purpose?

How would you feel if your girlfriend said:

"I'm gonna hold off until the dinner and concert are done then drop the bomb on the guy, and in the meantime find someone new in secret."

You'd probably call her an exploitative b!tch, and you'd be right.

Don't be one yourself.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
WOW!!! an unreliable bass player. That's a first. Don't jerk him around. If you are going to let him go, do it face to face and ASAP.

You could always get a set of Moog Taurus pedals.

Good Luck.
Dish