I was lent a Keeley-modded (w/o true bypass) TS808 for a while. It ranged from impressive to exceptional for what I play (60s-80s rock & blues), and I want to find a pedal with a somewhat similar sound that doesn't have such a hefty price tag. I'd like to find something under, say $150 retail (that I could find used for less). Things I've been looking at include:
- TS9
- Blues Driver 2 (Keeley-modded one on local Craigslist for cheap)

I'm especially interested in the BD-2. What kind of sound could I get out of it? Any other pedals to check out?
"I have terrible hearing trouble. I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf." - Pete Townshend
see if you can try out the blues driver. its a great pedal. it may fit what you are looking for
Maxon OD808?
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Keeley mod Blues drivers are AWESOME. Highly reccomend.

Fulltone OCD is also an amazing OD box, also highly reccomend.

Cheers,
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Last edited by Petey D at Jul 26, 2011,
If you're getting an OD808 you might as well save like $60 and get an Ibanez TS7. The OD9 is the better pedal to my ears. Even so, have you considered any pedals that aren't of the Tubescreamer variety? I really like my Xotic BB Preamp, and there are many others to consider.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Go for a regular TS808 and maybe down the line you could get it Keeley modded?

Also keep an eye out for Keeley TS808's used, I wouldn't be surprised to see one pop up on ebay in your price range.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I'll be looking at the Blues Driver soon.

Also, I found a used Visual Sound Route 66 for $50 (came up when I was looking for Maxon pedals). I haven't heard of it; is there any comparison to be made between it and Tube Screamers? Determined from pics that it's a V1, not a V2.
"I have terrible hearing trouble. I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf." - Pete Townshend
Last edited by pinballwizard96 at Jul 26, 2011,
You could grab a used Keeley TS9 or buy a regular TS9 and mod it yourself. It's not rocket science.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^ you mean keeley doesn't have teh magic mojo earz?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
nonsense! he is an electric wizard!
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ you mean keeley doesn't have teh magic mojo earz?

Nope. That's Landgraff.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
You could grab a used Keeley TS9 or buy a regular TS9 and mod it yourself. It's not rocket science.

I know; I modded a beat-up fuzz face I picked up for $50, but I'm not very willing to mod anything pricier.

Anyone know anything about the Route 66? How creamy is the sound compared to a TS808? Is the bass boost any good? Is the compression any good? How noisy is it?
Last edited by pinballwizard96 at Jul 26, 2011,
i thought that a keeley modded ts9 was just over $150, but then i checked and his prices have gone up. and ebay doesnt seem to have any with good price tags right now. however, looking at completed listings shows that you can pick them up for around $100-120 if you are patient (im looking at the ts9 mod+). if the pedal was exceptional for your sound, then spend the time and see if you can score one for a price you can pay.

if you just want a real cheap pedal that sounds very similar to a tubescreamer, grab the digitech bad monkey.
A lot of the suggestions so far have been good. The OCD, BB Preamp, Keeley BD-2 are all fantastic pedals, but none of them really sound quite like a TS808 do. Try the Cmat Mods Signa Dirve. I found it to be very similar to the Keeley 808. Cheap too.
Quote by mmolteratx
Nope. That's Landgraff.

hehe
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It may be too high-gain for what you want, but you might look at the Nobels ODR-1. I liked it, but probably only because it was ballsier than the TS's I've used...
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by icronic
A lot of the suggestions so far have been good. The OCD, BB Preamp, Keeley BD-2 are all fantastic pedals, but none of them really sound quite like a TS808 do. Try the Cmat Mods Signa Dirve. I found it to be very similar to the Keeley 808. Cheap too.

Oh ya, Signa Drive is a very similar TS based thing. Doesn't have as much dirt on tap as the Keeley mod though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

tim drive
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by Gearjammer2112
Luther Drive?!!!!

You piqued my interest...

So now, I'm looking at a used Keeley TS9, a used Keeley BD-2, and a Luther Drive, each for $100. I tried the two stock pedals available at GC, and like the TS9 a tad better than the BD-2.

Thanks for all the input!