I have one of the 8k higher gain ones in a guitar, but it's wired in wrong and I haven't had time to fix it. I want to put them in a bass and add a neck pickup making it semi strat like.

Does anyone have them in a bass and can comment on the sound verse say Jazz pickups, or rail based pickups?

Also should I do the Original style of 3 identical 5.4k pups in series, or a modern increasing output going towards the bridge?
When I've actually bothered to put a multimeter to bass pickups the neck and bridge have usually both been about the same. My old 75RI Jazz pups I've got lying around are 7.4k at the neck and 7.6 at the bridge. The SCNs I have in that bass now are both 11.4k. You might encounter volume issues if you put something with a significantly higher output in the bridge, kind of like what a lot of people experience with P/J basses, but in reverse, obviously.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Jul 26, 2011,
Forgive me if this violates any forum rules:

On another well-known bass-centric forum, lipstick pups are a favorite for Bronco mods. You'd find some good info poking around over there.

In my experience with a few Danelectro models, i like the Lipstick pups a lot... but it's hard to REALLY comment on their tones, as a good bit comes from the Danelectro body.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
Forgive me if this violates any forum rules:

On another well-known bass-centric forum, lipstick pups are a favorite for Bronco mods. You'd find some good info poking around over there.

In my experience with a few Danelectro models, i like the Lipstick pups a lot... but it's hard to REALLY comment on their tones, as a good bit comes from the Danelectro body.

Yea, I've seen lot's of that, hot rails like yours and just over all conversions to musicmasters and mustangs etc. I just like the idea of a rail based pickup and people say the tone comes from the fact they were in series with relatively low output. Pardon me if I think the RW bridge and the wiring would make up most of the tone.

I already have a mustang, and P bass, I am curious if you think a lipstick based bass could handle doom and stoner style rock and metal well?
Quote by askrere

I already have a mustang, and P bass, I am curious if you think a lipstick based bass could handle doom and stoner style rock and metal well?

Oh, totally.

I've seen a few Danos used for doom/noise rock/post rock. DC-1 (single pickup), DC-2 (double pickup), Longhorn (double pickup), and a Hodad (triple pickup).

Here's a vid of a dude with a DC-2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSYR54pioio
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Well good deal. I have a real problem aesthetically with modern style and metal style basses, and my budget keeps me from buying any bass I like. So my preference and hobby is to just remake what I have into something new.
Just wondering, would a "modern" Danelectro be any good? I've been wanting to get one for ages but I haven't had the chance to try any.
Quote by askrere
Well good deal. I have a real problem aesthetically with modern style and metal style basses, and my budget keeps me from buying any bass I like. So my preference and hobby is to just remake what I have into something new.

This is exactly what i deal with as well. I don't like most of what;s in my budget, and the stuff i DO want, is well outside of it. So, i take what i have and MAKE it into something i like.

Honestly, the result is awesome. I, at least, have much more pride playing something that i've fine tuned into exactly what i want and need.

@shmbluh12: Eh... the modern Dano's are a mixed bag. Many people fault the 'Dead On' series' wood bridge, siting that it doesn't innotate properly. So, if you CAN, try find one from the 90's with the metal bridge for a reasonable (ie-under $400) price.

Different models just had better track records, too... is there a certain one you were looking at?
Quote by shmbluh12
This one particularly, but I quite like most of 'em.

Awesome! I was gonna say... the '63 is one of the ones with a better track record (also note their metal bridge!). I love them, personally. The neck is a bit chunky-ish, but not too bad. I think they sound great.

In fact, one of my favorite bands use ALL Dano 63 models (The bass is a re-issue, but the 2 guitars are the real vintage deal):

Dum Dum Girls... awesome lo-fi indie-pop. Like early 60's girl-groups(The Ronettes, The Marvelettes, The Shirelles, etc.) meets Jesus and Mary Chain. One of my old bands played with them at SXSW. Awesome ladies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMy4CceeBgA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp1UsLG77ic

TLDR; hipster stuff