Page 1 of 6
I want to buy a really good amp stack for about $400, If you can recommend one good from everything from Blue to Metal. I listen to Green Day and I like their sound, and Ive recently gotten into Rammstein and my current amp isn't good enough to get their sound.
The reason why I need a stack rather than a combo is because my band likes to have things organised lol... kinda dumb i know, but we want the amps to be the same height.
And i need it 100W simply because i want a 100W amp...

I heard the new Line 6 spider IV HD150 is good but i havent tried it, A tube head would be nice
Green day.. Rammstein... I have weird musical taste

well since you provided such a good list of reasons for wanting what you want...

i suggest going to the nearest guitar center and buying the baddest ass stack in your favorite color.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
You're not going to find any 100 watt tube amp under $400... Ever. If you find one used under $400 it probably sucks
Quote by AcousticMirror

well since you provided such a good list of reasons for wanting what you want...

i suggest going to the nearest guitar center and buying the baddest ass stack in your favorite color.

Your a dick, Theres no reason to be an asshole
Do you realise how loud a 100 watt amp is? You don't need a stack unless you're playing massive crowds, a combo can be just as good, and easier to carry around.
Quote by jay3213

I'm giving you the advice you deserve. it's happening. deal with it.
Quote by AcousticMirror

That was great, had a good laugh at that one.

311ZOSOVHJH is right though. You're NOT going to get a quality stack at that price, unless it's stolen or something. Don't know if you've ever carried a stack but it's way too much effort for something you turn to 1, know what I mean?

I'd say forget about the looks and focus on the tone. If you specify I think people will help you find what you're looking for. Good Luck !
$400 will not get you a really good 1/2 stack, it won't even get you a diecent 1/2 stack.

People here hate on the spider amps...It's just how it is. Why don't you look for a used combo? You could find a really nice one used for $400. Maybe an older Peavey Ultra 2x12.

The only thing that comes close to what you want to pay new, is the Jet city JCA20h and 1x12 cab, it runs $350 new as a stack. you can get it with the 2x12 cab for $450.

I know it says 20 watts, but I garantee it will sound as loud or louder than a Line 6 spider 150hd, and much better also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
used egnater tweaker??
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Let me get this straight:

You want a full stack? FAIL
You have a Spider III, which you're not happy with, but you might want a Spider IV? FAIL
You like Green Day? FAIL

Ok, lolz on that last one

But do NOT get a full stack, ridiculously unnecessary and expensive. And do NOT get a Spider.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by jay3213
I want to buy a really good amp stack for about $400

Good luck.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by jay3213

*you're. As in You are.

He was simply pointing out that the only reason you have for getting a stack is "It looks cool, we wanna look cool, regardless of how bad we sound."

In which case, get that Spider IV. It's exactly what you're looking for, you'll sound horrible and waste your money. But at least all your amps will be the same height!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by jay3213
I want to buy a really good amp stack for about $400, If you can recommend one good from everything from Blue to Metal. I listen to Green Day and I like their sound, and Ive recently gotten into Rammstein and my current amp isn't good enough to get their sound.

Green Day uses Marshall's I think. To get their sound you'll want a British voiced tube amp. Their studio sound is humbuckers and single coils meshed together, whereas the live sound is Billie Joe using his P90 guitars and the touring guitarist using Les Paul standards.

Rammstein used Mesa's last time I checked, which are more American voiced I think.

The reason why I need a stack rather than a combo is because my band likes to have things organised lol... kinda dumb i know, but we want the amps to be the same height.

If it means that much to you to have amps the same height, then you could get a combo it put it on a bunch of slats of wood.
If you're DESPERATE for a stack, get a half-stack. Tom Morello plays stadiums with a half-stack. There's no reason for anything beyond that.
My band played a gig where the guitar amps weren't mic'd, and you could hear our other guitarist perfect. He uses a 30 watt 1x12 Orange combo.

And i need it 100W simply because i want a 100W amp...

See my last comment. You don't need 100 watts. I'm about to sell my 120W combo and get like a 50W amp instead because I just don't play that loudly. Even when gigging, I never have my amp turned up past half, because I simply don't need it. It's too damned loud.

I heard the new Line 6 spider IV HD150 is good but i havent tried it, A tube head would be nice

No. Spider IV is good if you you're OK with really sterile sounding stuff. I'm assuimg, however, that that isn't what you want. So go for a tube amp if you can find a decent one used.

Quote by VanTheKraut
*you're. As in You are.

Don't be a grammar nazi. Just use good grammar yourself, and others will eventually see the light. I used to not have good grammar at all on the internet. Once I saw that most other people did, I changed.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by VanTheKraut
He was simply pointing out that the only reason you have for getting a stack is "It looks cool, we wanna look cool, regardless of how bad we sound."

(Invalid img) it is teh coolz
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

ok lets try to be civil.

$400 won't get you a half stack that is worth having. your reasoning doesn't make good musical sense.if you want advice that makes sense then worrying about things matching isn't your first priority.

does someone else in your band have a halfstack? if so what is it?

$400 will get you a 1x12 Peavey Valveking that will get you in the ball park sound wise for what you are talking. it will also be plenty loud and will sound better than the Line 6 you are thinking about.

do yourself a favor and start thinking like a musician it will get you farther.
Quote by jay3213

Since your opening post was really stupid and uninformed, this is the best advice he could have given you. Seriously, you have no idea how ridiculous that post looked.

Look at the link 311 posted, it'll tell you what people need to know to give you some proper help.

There are 100w stacks that can be bought for $400, but they're not even worth their weight in dog-feces, much less their actual price.
You don't need a halfstack and plus, you won't be able to find a good one for $400. If you want green day's sound for that price, then I would just get a modeling amp like a cube 80xl, or you could save up more money and get a nice half stack. You should get a good sound out of it and it's not as big and bulky as a half stack.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 26, 2011,
TS, you're not going to get an anywhere decent half stack with that budget. If your band mates want you to get one either they give you the money for it or give you a non-stupid reason for doing so. It's really a choice between looking good and sounding good, and if looking good is more important to your band mates then you need a better band.

You might be able to find a Line 6 Spider or Marshall MG/AVT half stack for that budget, and they're all terrible. Don't waste your money. With $400 you should be able to get a good tube combo, especially used. It will sound better, have a better resale value and you'll be able to go for a lower wattage as tube amps are usually perceived as being louder than a solid state amp of the equivalent wattage, a 50w tube amp should do you fine.

You don't need a half stack and shouldn't be getting one but if you do feel the need to go against the advice of everyone in this thread, maybe look for a Peavey Windsor or used Bugera.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
just as everyone has already said:

$400 is not going to get you a 100 watt stack that isn't going to be a massive waste of money and a massive waste of space. unless you're playing very large profressional venues, you're not likely to ever need more than 50 watts and 2 12" speakers. i've played some pretty big places with a 30 watt 1x12, and i find even that's got a bit too much power for some of the particularly small gigs.

for $400 you can get some really nice combos that will actually sound good and that should be far more important to you than the height of the amp
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by kutless999
You don't need a halfstack and plus, you won't be able to find a good one for $400. If you want green day's sound for that price, then I would just get a modeling amp like a cube 80xl, or you could save up more money and get a nice half stack. You should get a good sound out of it and it's not as big and bulky as a half stack.

What's your deal with Roland Cubes?

I kid, I kid.

Quote by OliOsbourne
used egnater tweaker??

+1

You can't go wrong with this amp. Seems like a perfect for home practice and gig if you mic it up.
Quote by TheHungryGnome
What's your deal with Roland Cubes?

I kid, I kid.

+1

You can't go wrong with this amp. Seems like a perfect for home practice and gig if you mic it up.

What? They're good amps. I don't think he should get one. He should save up his money and get a nice amp.
Quote by AcousticMirror

Seriously, your band is ridiculous. You could easily save a little bit more on a 6505 112 combo (60W of tube, plenty loud) or try to find a used 6505 with 2x12s

Don't let your band pressure you into a line 6.. At least buy a Crate.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

omg this is amazing. im not even going to say anything! hahah im just laughing my ass off
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by AcousticMirror
I'm giving you the advice you deserve. it's happening. deal with it.

Calm your balls shithead, if you have nothing that can help me then **** off instead of causing trouble
I wouldn't say that to Min if I were you... He really knows what he is talking about.
Quote by jay3213
Calm your balls shithead, if you have nothing that can help me then **** off instead of causing trouble

i'm telling you to follow your dreams.
Quote by kutless999
I wouldn't say that to Min if I were you... He really knows what he is talking about.

this. he just uses lots of sarcasm.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Get a job, doesn't have to be healthy, work at walmart or so for about 2 months, then buy a nice tube 2x12 combo. Peavey, vox, fender, etc.. Mic it if you have to, but chances are you aren't famous.
Quote by jay3213

AND..... Reported. Learn to read the rules and the other stickies before creating threads and then cursing & being generally rude.
Quote by jay3213

I'd go ahead and say that Min is giving you one of the best advice given in this thread along with the guys suggesting you to go combo instead of stack, simply because $400 isn't gonna get you anywhere.

Is your band that well known that you're gonna play venues that require half stacks and to be loud enough to be heard? I doubt it.

Go chill your brains, let common sense hit you, and either settle with a great sounding tube combo, or find a job and save up some more so you can actually afford a nice halfstack if that's what you really want.

OR, you can just ignore everyone here and buy the Spider, just so you could look cool.
Yep
I love how min was the only one he replied to, just to insult. and he's been here over 4 years, lolwtf?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by ethan_hanus
Too bad none of those are real, and the real amp is chillen in the back being miced up.

Lesson learned in this thread, $400, buy a combo, and stop complaining.

TS should get a wallpaper like that and put it up whenever he goes to a gig.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Actually, he insulted someone else with a very rude post, but I reported it and he took it off like a minute later. I forgot who it was though.