I need to know.
I go from using my neck pickup which sounds full and clear like a piano, then I switch to bridge/middle and it rounds the frequencies and cuts a lot of treble.
And for some reason the quack tone brings out individual strings when you play a chord
Why is this? and How can I get more quack?
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Jul 26, 2011,
Its because the strings resonate differently near the bridge, its physics.
The neck/bridge PU's will also be voiced differently, but that not the big deal here.
Much of a Strats quack tone comes from the pickups that Fender uses in their guitars and the way they are wired and wound. A portion of a Strats quack tone also comes from its construction and wood as well.
My Rig: Gibson SG Menace
Gibson Les Paul Menace (Heavy Modded Project)
PRS Mike Mushok Baritone
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone Dot Deluxe
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Epiphone Worn '66 Wilshire
Egnater 15W Tweaker, 112 Cab
I have a set of '64 texas staggers from GFS
I get good quack, But I want the tone SRV got when he played Lenny at the el mocambo
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
i thought it was the in-between pickup settings.

Allegedly (haven't tried this myself) having a non-RWRP middle pickup increases quack. Though that might be verging on eric johnson tonal subtleties.

lower output pickups might have more quack. having the pickups balanced/calibrated would help too (though from the sounds of it yours already are).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SKArface McDank
I have a set of '64 texas staggers from GFS
I get good quack, But I want the tone SRV got when he played Lenny at the el mocambo

I think he had Texas Specials then.

And at the El Mocambo show he was using 18 guage stings... good luck with that...
Where's Waldo?
It's because the pickups are too close together. When you run two of them in series, like a Strat, it cancels out frequencies, and gives you the nasally, quack sound. The hearing every note in the chord comes from the construction of the Strat pick-up.

How do you get more Quack? **** if I know.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
No, He had 13s, but he used an 11 instead of the 13.
Im using two 56s a 46 a 24 a 17 and a 13.
His strings had no effect on the quack.

And Im pretty sure he was still using his 59 strat pickups
- Carl Sagan
Quote by SKArface McDank
No, He had 13s, but he used an 11 instead of the 13.
Im using two 56s a 46 a 24 a 17 and a 13.
His strings had no effect on the quack.

And Im pretty sure he was still using his 59 strat pickups

He used 13's for everything, and wanted to use higher gauge strings, but at that El Mocambo show he had 18's...
Where's Waldo?
Ive read several places that stevie only briefly used 18s and he was quoted from an interview saying he thought they were very limiting so he switched back to 13s.

He didnt seem at all limited.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by SKArface McDank
Ive read several places that stevie only briefly used 18s and he was quoted from an interview saying he thought they were very limiting so he switched back to 13s.

He didnt seem at all limited.

You can't limit genius.
Where's Waldo?
finger strength is limited.
- Carl Sagan
Not if you're Stevie Ray Vaughan it's not, his hands looked like two tarantulas on steroids.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
SRV using 13s is a bit of a myth. For most of his career he used a standard set of .11s. He moved up to a .12 set and then most famously a .13 set after he had a run of breaking strings frequently. He later had some bridge parts replaced and then used .13s with a .11 for the 1st string and eventually moved back to a standard .11 set. It's hard to confirm but it's assumed that the rate his strings were breaking was probably due to rough or sharp bridge saddles, hence why he went back to the lighter gauge after getting his bridge sorted out.

Doesn't matter though. Strings have very little to do with your tone. Thicker strings give you more bass and thinner strings give you more of the overtones and chime but it's a minimal difference and won't revolutionise your tone. Use whatever strings feel best to you, that is far more important. But if you insist on matching strings to your tone and you want more quack you'd be better off using lighter strings.

For pickups the most quack would be in the neck+middle position with vintage-style and identical pickups. If you listen to recordings of really extreme Strat quack you'll find they're mostly done with vintage guitars. Original Strats didn't have different neck, middle and bridge pickups like we're used to today. The three pickups were all made to be pretty much the same and it's their positions along the string which give them the different tones. Modern pickup sets tend to purposefully set three different tones and that gives you a better single pickup tone with more balance across all three but it makes the combined positions less quacky. Dave_Mc is right that a non-RW/RP middle pickup should also boost the quack but it's a tiny difference and not worth it in my opinion.
Quote by grohl1987
SRV using 13s is a bit of a myth. For most of his career he used a standard set of .11s. He moved up to a .12 set and then most famously a .13 set after he had a run of breaking strings frequently. He later had some bridge parts replaced and then used .13s with a .11 for the 1st string and eventually moved back to a standard .11 set. It's hard to confirm but it's assumed that the rate his strings were breaking was probably due to rough or sharp bridge saddles, hence why he went back to the lighter gauge after getting his bridge sorted out.
Just think: if UG had existed back then, we could have troubleshooted his problem immediately and called him a noob.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
If that was indeed the case. I couldnt get the lovely bass out of a set of 11s as I could from the strings im using now. I doubt the only reason was to keep from breaking strings. He uses alot of bassy accents that really stand out with the thick strings
- Carl Sagan
it's mostly in the fingers.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Some amps really bring the quack tone out and others almost whitewash it. My Strat barely quacks at all when I play it through Blackstar amps but the Dumble model on Valvetronix amps make it sound like I'm using an auto-wah.
^ The whole SRV 0.018s thing has clearly gotten out of hand.

I recently remember reading that in an interview he said something along the lines of

Quote by SRV
I use heavy strings. I've even messed around with 0.018s but that was too limiting.

Also SRV's guitar tech said that he liked using heavy strings but his tech would put lighter strings on sometimes to stop him destroying his hands.

Get over the ridiculous string gauges people. SRV was superhuman in playing and hand strength. Just find something that works for you. BB King makes 0.08 gauge strings sound massive and full. It's up to you which strings you use to get there...

(I believe Dick Dale uses ridiculous string gauges though)

EDIT: in fact, here you go...http://www.djnoble.demon.co.uk/ints/STEVIER.VS.html
Last edited by Duv at Jul 26, 2011,
(I believe Dick Dale uses ridiculous string gauges though)

Yeah, but surf guitar doesn't involve much in the way of barre chords or bending.
The point is that just because you can use really thick strings doesn't mean you should and there really aren't any benefits to be gained from using unusually thick strings.
i dunno about string changes making no difference. my cheap stagg with 12's sounds much fuller than my more expensive ibanez with 10s
Quote by teh_goon
i dunno about string changes making no difference. my cheap stagg with 12's sounds much fuller than my more expensive ibanez with 10s

That's probably more because Ibanez designs always sound thin. They've always got those super thin necks which have no tone to them, they usually have very bright ceramic pickups and they often use really bright control pots as well. If you add in a trem bridge to the mix as well like most Ibanez have then you can kiss your bass and mids goodbye. Ibanez have lots of sweet modern features and may play great but they are just about the worst thing you can get for tone.
Yngwie gets plenty of quack and he uses like a hybrid 8's set. ... so it's not the size of the strings..

It's the fingers. like anything else.
Quote by grohl1987
Original Strats didn't have different neck, middle and bridge pickups like we're used to today. The three pickups were all made to be pretty much the same and it's their positions along the string which give them the different tones. Modern pickup sets tend to purposefully set three different tones and that gives you a better single pickup tone with more balance across all three but it makes the combined positions less quacky. Dave_Mc is right that a non-RW/RP middle pickup should also boost the quack but it's a tiny difference and not worth it in my opinion.

just to point out- when i said balanced, what i actually meant was "close to the same output". in hindsight what i said might have given the exact opposite impression

And yeah, i mean the non-rwrp thing might be splittling hairs.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?