So, I let my buddy play my new Tele, and he broke the D string. I wanted to put on some new string anyways so meh, still kinda annoyed. I have a pack of 10-46's I want to put on. Now, if I want to keep everything else the same, neck bow, action(?), etc., will I have to do anything to the truss rod to keep it "normal"?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
You shouldn't need to, the action and intonation might be a bit off, but it'll be far easier just to sort them out than messing about with the truss rod, I don't go near it unless the neck isn't straight, which I've only had to do once on a really low quality bass my mate hadn't looked after.
Alright, thanks.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by elvor0
You shouldn't need to, the action and intonation might be a bit off, but it'll be far easier just to sort them out than messing about with the truss rod, I don't go near it unless the neck isn't straight, which I've only had to do once on a really low quality bass my mate hadn't looked after.

This is true. I've even made changes from 10's to 11's without any sort of neck adjustment and hardly any intonation adjustments, either. But once you start getting into really heavy strings and low tunings, you'll need to adjust the truss rod to avoid fret buzzing and also adjust the intonation accordingly. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
The only reason you ever really need to touch the truss rod is if you actually want to adjust the bow in your neck, or if you're making a big jump in strings, like 9's to 13's or something.

Other than that, you really don't ever need to touch it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I changed from 9's to 10's, only needed to adjust the saddles as the intonation was very slightly off. Been playing with 10's for 3 months now and no problems so far
Depends really, you should learn how to assess your neck and perform setups. In a well setup guitar the truss counteracts the string pull (tension) just enough to give the desired amount of relief. When you change to a different guage, all six strings either create less of more tension (relative to same pitch of course) depending on whether you went up or down a guage. Many necks will experience some degree of change to the relief and it may be barely noticeable or more drastic depending upon how much leeway you have in your preference.
Intonation is affected by gauge of strings, height of strings off the board and relief. The last two things because the strings length is affected when fretting notes based on distance to fret board (height of strings) and the minor scale length change that occurs between a dead straight neck and one with a curve or bow in it.
Moving on.....