Page 1 of 2
I just picked up a used one.. My distortion pedal crapped out after only one year.

This one seems to be in good condition. I just don't want to have to buy a new pedal every year.
what exactly happened? most of the time when a pedal breaks it is easy to fix.

and to answer your question, most people have a joke about how after the world is destroyed due to nuclear war, all the cockroaches who survived will still be able to play on their boss pedals.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
My two oldest pedals are boss pedals, my super chorus being like 1 1/2 years old, while my metalcore is a year old, and they are still both working just as well as they did when I bought them.

Prick your finger, it is done.
The moon has now eclipsed the sun.
The angel has spread his wings.
The time has come for better things.
Quote by xAntichristx79x
My two oldest pedals are boss pedals, my super chorus being like 1 1/2 years old, while my metalcore is a year old, and they are still both working just as well as they did when I bought them.

a year isn't that old for pedals, thats quite new... ive got behringer pedals a few years old that still work...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
mine is 2-3 years old (not really sure because i got it from a friend and he likes to stomp on his pedal)

and it still works perfectly
I used to throw my DS-1 on stage every time, did that for about 2 years, and it worked just fine, until I attempted to do the Keeley mod to it, and failed, now it holds my soldering iron.

Boss pedals are very durable, but they don't have the best sound, the 80's Boss pedals are pure gold though, find one of those and you'll fall in love with em.
After 2012 all guitarists will be playing boss metal zones into peavey bandit...

if all that shite where to actually be true.
i have two boss pedals that i think are about 7 years old

one works fine

one doesn't take batteries anymore but works fine with a power cable
I've had several Boss pedals over the years and I like them better than other comparable brands. I've had a problem with a rc20xl loop station but besides that I've never had a boss pedal die. Right now I have a super-overdrive and a blues driver that look ancient and both have taken severe beatings over years but work like new. I also use an me50 at home. I love 'em but thats just my opinion and I don't play metal or use alotta fx
they are built fairly well.....they recently cut corners to save cost like the actual housing for the pedal is about half the thickness they used to be. that aside, 5 year warranty on their pedals, still made of metal
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
never seen one crap out. my oldest is 2-3 years old and works like new. only damage it what i did to it (spilled a coke on it, now the knobs are a tad gummed up)

and i buy them used because i trust even used they work great. My used EQ had a slight switching issue (switch wasnt being pushed down hard enough) but a slight bit of tape fixed it (perminent fix, cause give its position the tape cant come off unless you open up he pedal...so the switch is fixed unless i unfix it). bought it for about 70% off so its still worth it. works and looks like new.

and for the record, i just got a used guyatone. solid pedal. different method of construction but its sturdy. no doubt it will go for some years.

and again for the record, i bought a used BBE two timer delay that crapped out on me in 2 hours after i played it fine and the guy at guitar center said he tested it and it worked fine.

.....so technically the "best" brand sucked the hardest in my case.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 26, 2011,
I read somewhere that after the nuclear holocaust the only thing left will be cockroaches and Boss pedals...
boss pedals are pretty much indestructible, but are pretty much bog-standard in terms of how they sound. but sometimes that's all you need.

i've had a DS-2 for about 3-4 years and not had a single thing ever go wrong with it. i like it, but i can see why some people wouldn't. it's nice into a tube amp with a little bit of saturation - adds warmth to the very very cold sterile sound it produces and rounds off the harsh edges of the clipping very nicely. but on it's own it's a very harsh and sterile sounding pedal with very little going for it - it needs a good amp to add the colour to the tone that is severely lacking within the pedal.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 26, 2011,
boss pedals break all the time, they are so freaking unreliable. You want to buy danelectro, the food series or the fab series are the most reliable pedals out there.
Quote by lbj273
boss pedals break all the time, they are so freaking unreliable. You want to buy danelectro, the food series or the fab series are the most reliable pedals out there.

lol. no, behringer are more reliable than danelectro fabs! behringers are the most durable, high quality pedals you can get.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by redandwhite12
Most people generally agree on them being very durbale yet sound horrible. This is my opinion as well. But if you like the sound it should last for a long time.

i don't think they sound horrible. then again i don't use but 1 boss pedal (dd-6), i still own a number of other ones but i just don't really use them. would say it is a bit of pigeonholing to just call all of them crappy)

i think boss has a few losers, but i have also heard some that are quite good (Japanese SD-1 for example, complete with germanium diodes; also like the blues driver alright; and their phase shifter is awesome).

i would say the thing i have seen go bad the most of boss pedals is:

- power supply - "it won't work with my power supply, but still works with the battery". there is a burnt resistor or a wire came undone.

- momentary switch - sometimes they'll get stuck tripping to ground or something similar. also a quick and easy fix.

other than that... the break alot when people try to mod them. you can get tons of DS-1's like that.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by lbj273

lulz
I've had a few danelectro pedals in my procession. one was free with a guitar mag (total guitar, which i grew out of fairly quickly due to the fact that all they did was bum trivium and avenged sevenfold)) subscription and one i was an utter n00b.

I love how the second pedal i got (the overdrive one free with a guitar mag subscription) they decided that because there knobs are so flimsy they'd add some plastic shield thing to stop people kicking them off.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jul 26, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
After 2012 all guitarists will be playing boss metal zones into peavey bandit...

*unnecessary dramatic space*

if all that shite where to actually be true.

Don't forget the LP's. Built like a tank, weighs like a tank.
Where's Waldo?
bought my DS-1 in 1988 traded it in part of a deal this year still worked fine. if boss was total shit as some have said they still wouldn't be around.you can find Boss pedals on the boards of many pro players and name guitar hero types as well. are there better fx out there sure but if you want a reliable pedal that will do it's job then Boss is tough to beat.
yeah BOSS is pretty much an industry benchmark. middle price, great bang for your buck. if its worse than boss, its pretty much crappy. if its more expesive, then it better sound better than a BOSS and have a rep to back it up.

but yeah i would say about 20-30% of boss pedals i dont really like. the rest are pretty darn nice. considering hoe many they make/have made, they have one of the best track records around.

not to mention, if you pay guitar enough your bound to own AT LEAST 1 boss pedal and probably play thier entire collection at some point (play, not own). i mean, im sitting next to 2.
I still have a Blues Driver and a OS-2 that I got almost two years ago. They work fine. Very durable pedals, but, I've evolved past the sound of them. Except for the Blues Driver. Its in the top 3 boss pedals, I just have a TS-808 clone that I like better. Also none of Boss's stomps are TB
Boss pedals are built really well but they still use garden variety electronic components and any electronic component can just turn up its toes and die on you. A transistor is a transistor. Doesn't matter if it's Boss or some boutique pedal, a component can fail.
You were just unlucky.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by monwobobbo
bought my DS-1 in 1988 traded it in part of a deal this year still worked fine. if boss was total shit as some have said they still wouldn't be around.you can find Boss pedals on the boards of many pro players and name guitar hero types as well. are there better fx out there sure but if you want a reliable pedal that will do it's job then Boss is tough to beat.

a lot of professional players have shit for tone and don't know how to get good tone, so yeah a lot of them have Boss on their board. That said they are definitely reliable, but no more so than a lot of the other better sounding pedals you could be using
Quote by monwobobbo

Professional means that you get paid, doesn't in any sense of the word mean that you're good at something.

Quote by Dictionary.com
Following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.

Off the top of my head, a person that was professional that had toasted shit for tone is Kurt Cobain. I do believe he actually used a DS-1 though
Where's Waldo?
Cobain used a DS-1 and a DS-1 (set to the I on Mode).

Let's face it, over 10,000,000 pedals sold. Used by the likes of Slash, Pete Townshend, James Hetfield, Dave Grohl, John Frusciante, Steve Vai… most professionals…. The fact that, in your opinion some have a crap tone, is that they can easily afford “better” pedals and spend time effort and energy ensuring that what is heard on record/at gigs is a true representation of how they want to sound.

As for reliability? I have a TU-2 that’s around eight years DD-3 that’s at least seven years old, an OC-2 that I got used five years ago and my DS-2 has to be pushing 20. I have others, all of which are more than four years old (SD-1, CE-1 and…. Errr… a green one&hellip. All work perfectly with battery or a PSU.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Yep... Boss makes durable pedals that last if the guts don't need to be replaced. No lie, when I got my first Muff, I tossed my DS-1 off my roof and onto the asphalt driveway. The distortion knob had to be replaced, but it still worked fine. I have a Japanese HM-2 that's A-OK and is old enough to have finished college. In fact, after a decade of playing and rotating through a dozen Boss pedals and spending 3 years doing nothing much at all in a strip mall guitar shop, the only problems I've run into (aside from the roof experiment) were scratchy pots and the attack knob crapping out on my old CS-2.

Honestly, you're likely to replace it only for something better, not because it fails you. That, and mods are all over the place. Just ask anyone more knowledgeable than me about that, like an infant.
I am a fake mountain.
I have to wonder how many professionals have some of those pedals only as backups. They are a good thing to have in case your good pedal breaks because you know the Boss one will never fail you. Better a second rate sounding pedal than no pedal at all. Doesn't matter where you go in the world you will always be able to find another. That's one reason so many of the big international acts used Marshalls. It wasn't just the sound, they were easily available in any country you happened to be in.
Luggage didn't arrive? Go to the local store and buy one. The same would be true of Boss pedals.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 27, 2011,
Boss pedals are alright, you get what you pay for. IMHO the older MIJ ones are super overrated. Sure they can sound different but different =/= better.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
The durability of Boss pedals is why the phrase "built like a tank" is quite synonymous with the Boss brand.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Cathbard
That's one reason so many of the big international acts used Marshalls. It wasn't just the sound, they were easily available in any country you happened to be in.
Luggage didn't arrive? Go to the local store and buy one. The same would be true of Boss pedals.

A great point.

I personally don't love Boss pedals, but I also don't hate them. I just find them tiresome because you see them so often. Whenever I see a DS-1 on a local bands pedal board I just get the impression they couldn't be bothered to search for something a bit different and accept the first thing that comes to mind, because it is the easy option and they are reasonable. This may or may not be the case, but personally I love
the hunt for a new pedal, and generally Boss does not come out on top for me. That said I always have a modded CS3 on my board, but then she works for me.
Last edited by ragingben at Jul 27, 2011,
Quote by redandwhite12
Most people generally agree on them being very durbale yet sound horrible. This is my opinion as well. But if you like the sound it should last for a long time.

I actually spit my coffee out laughing. I read that as i took a gulp and my brain thought... oh so it sucks and it will be in your life forever like herpes. thanks for giving me a laugh!
I own a few (sarcasm intended) and they're as tough as they get, they wont snap under your foot in the middle of a gig. I cannot stand plastic pedals. Boss are made tough. As for sound, sound is subjective. I'm fine with mine, but I'm the only one that needs to hear MINE! Well that and a few unfortunate neighbors.
Whoever said the dano ones were the most reliable...facepalm
i had an echo pedal,after being placed after a dist and big muff for 15 minutes,there was the smell of burning coming from the battery compartment,and the thing made only screaming noises when turned on.I liked that better though!
The only trouble I've had with my boss pedal was when I plugged into an in-correct power supply,the thing fried.Stopped working on battery,and only worked on power supply.
$8 fix from the local tech,simply replaced the battery cable.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Some Boss pedals sound like crap, but can easily be modded with higher quality components to fix some of the "Sounds like a bucket of poop" sound.
Also...
Nuclear war proof.
Tank Proof.
Vomit Proof.
Will soon be available at your corner liquor store. Or from the hairy guy that lives in the van behind the liquor store.
Quote by chadreed32
Professional means that you get paid, doesn't in any sense of the word mean that you're good at something.

brought to you from a guy who has a MetalZone as the first item listed in his gear

last time i looked being a pro does mean that you are good enough that someone will pay you for what you do. i'm not talking low end bar bands. plenty of session musicains have stated that they use Boss pedals over the years as have many guitar heroes. sure alot of the time it is for the live rig but gee wondr why ,could it be because they are reliable pedals. not saying they all sound great or even good but they are reliable.

Boss is an industry leader like it or not so they must be doing something right. this is one case where you really can't just write it off as "only n00bs buy that crap".
Hell, I still use Boss.
TU-3
CS-3
GE-7
PS-5
DD-7
all those are still on my pedalboard because they do the job well enough to warrant them remaining there.

And Ian hawkins that was called sarcasm (concerning the dano pedals).
Page 1 of 2