Page 1 of 2
so ive been going to lots of shows over the past few years and i cant help but notice one thing, and one thing alone, has won the hearts and ears of most of the show-goers out there: breakdowns.

as fresh and thrilling as i use to find them, i cant help but be bored and disgusted by them now. few bands can pull off a creative breakdown like Between The Buried and Me and some weird stuff like Protest The Hero. some other bands like As Blood Runs Black and old All Shall Perish have some pretty tight breakdowns, too.

that being said, i was curious as to where actual MUSICIANS (preferably people whove been in bands and played lots of shows) stand on this topic. as a show-goer and a musician, i know its two different worlds from the stage to the pit. breakdowns are real fun to watch, but im soooo bored when im playing them and im so sick of how lazy bands are these days with their 'just play a breakdown here' attitude instead of pushing their limits and creativity. so guys, tell me, where do you stand on breakdowns?
Sikth is an amazing band. they have some "breakdown" type stuff like i was trying to explain. the more technical picking esq half-times that can be considered breakdowns and not all the boring chug chug chug. but yes, i totally agree with you. fun at one time, but not anymore.
Quote by Samdy
so ive been going to lots of shows over the past few years and i cant help but notice one thing, and one thing alone, has won the hearts and ears of most of the show-goers out there: breakdowns.

Na, I would say that hearts and ears are generally won over by more than that.

How do I fee about them? I don't like or dislike things based on it being a specific section of a song. If it's good it's good.
shred is gaudy music
I like them when they're done originally rather than your standard dotted crotchet stuff, or in odd timings
Just something that sets them apart from the rest
I deffinately love breakdowns, as long as they're good. The slower, the better
ESP LTD MH-53

(Soon to get) Peavey Bandit 112

Digitech: RP 55
Quote by GuitarMunky
Na, I would say that hearts and ears are generally won over by more than that.

i would hope so. i use to live in northeast US and i recently moved to south US on the eastern coast. its a pretty big distance between the two and still, every band, every 20 seconds...breakdown. do you have this problem in your local scene?
I feel like you can't get a fan base without them if you're a metal band. I'm sick of them tbh, haven't heard a good one recently.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Quote by Samdy
i would hope so. i use to live in northeast US and i recently moved to south US on the eastern coast. its a pretty big distance between the two and still, every band, every 20 seconds...breakdown. do you have this problem in your local scene?

Well plenty of them do, but I don't feel the need to be like them, or to criticism them for it.
It's a current fad, but nobody has to follow it.

Quote by brandon2784
I feel like you can't get a fan base without them if you're a metal band. I'm sick of them tbh, haven't heard a good one recently.

That's a pretty sad statement about metal fans. Hope you're wrong.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 26, 2011,
yea, im pretty much on the same page. im not talkin shit on the bands who do it, im just pissin and moaning about how boring it is for me. i was wondering if other musicians felt the same.

and as for making the music you want, im totally with you. we are the only band of our genre in our scene and we were in our old scene. i dont ever plan on changing for anyone. i play what i feel, not what 10,000 pepole ive never met feel.

agree with the sad statement about metal fans. i believe theres a HUGE difference between metal and hardcore. i dont believe true metal fans even like breakdowns. infact, im sure they hate them. haha
Last edited by Samdy at Jul 26, 2011,
i dig breakdowns but when its in every song (or is every song beginning to end, suicide silence im looking at you) it gets a bit old. its there for effect but when you use the effect over and over it... uh... loses the effect.
Quote by Samdy
yea, im pretty much on the same page. im not talkin shit on the bands who do it, im just pissin and moaning about how boring it is for me. i was wondering if other musicians felt the same.

and as for making the music you want, im totally with you. we are the only band of our genre in our scene and we were in our old scene. i dont ever plan on changing for anyone. i play what i feel, not what 10,000 pepole ive never met feel.

agree with the sad statement about metal fans. i believe theres a HUGE difference between metal and hardcore. i dont believe true metal fans even like breakdowns. infact, im sure they hate them. haha

True metal fan right here, and I despise breakdowns
Melo death has the manly breakdowns. This chugga chugga squeal business is child's play.

Bands today abuse open power chords like Kirk Hammett abuses solos: they all sound the same after a while and that gets really nauseating. When a band puts a breakdown into every song they lose their point and don't add anything to the music.

Especially at music festivals.

Breakdowns in every song from 11am to 11pm.

That's why I don't go to Summer Slaughter anymore.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Jul 26, 2011,
I haven't heard them much in metal, but alot in hardcore/screamo stuff. And breakdowns, suck.

But like everything in music, there is a time and a place for the perfect breakdown.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
I listen to a lot of metal but none where there are breakdowns

They're not really my kind of thing.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Personally, I think any kind of overused structural crutch gets old. Be it a "breakdown" or that "key change and double chorus n we'll all get off our stools" that boybands do...

Lazy writing is lazy writing.
Quote by Freepower
Personally, I think any kind of overused structural crutch gets old. Be it a "breakdown" or that "key change and double chorus n we'll all get off our stools" that boybands do...

Lazy writing is lazy writing.

This.

A breakdown can be as good or bad as any other part of a song. What matters is how well the part is written, not that the part exists in the first place.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
As someone who is pretty much stuck in 1980's and earlier listening-mode, can someone post a good example of what these breakdowns sound like?

Also Freepower, those Sligo lads have that second moved nailed!!!
Um, what are breakdowns?
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vgq3UUJjlk

12 seconds into this song is an example of a good break down that isn't your standard "Just hit open, palm muted power chords in a dropped tuning."

As for my opinion on breakdowns. I like them when they're done tastefully and creatively. As someone above said, lazy writing is lazy writing. Breakdowns aren't required to be devoid of any creativity, but when they are, they suck.
Last edited by MatthewLeisher at Jul 27, 2011,
There's a massive history to the breakdowns you guys are referring to as it stems from Hardcore and originally versions of punk and gothic music from the 80's and let me make myself clear that bands like Parkway Drive and As Blood Runs Black, Bring Me The Horizon <insert other bands here> are not traditionally Hardcore bands (Minor Threat, Madball etc) - that's metalcore or whatever amalgamation of genres you want to plaster them with ending in core.

It's more of a trend used to get people to do the hardcore dancing thing at shows.

About 5 - 6 years ago it was a huge thing here in the UK (and I imagine it's still is quite popular but it has died down considerably now) as most of these bands were beginning to appear on the scene and take over from all the regular Nu Metal and Screamo / Emo stuff that was going on.
I remember going to shows in London all the time and bands like Bring me the horizon and Architects etc were just coming out and the legions of other subsequent bands.

Musically I think they can be used to good effect some bands pull them off well like Parkway Drive, Poison the Well and Misery Signals because they were musical. Although Parkway push that envelope a bit in some cases. But it's not just limited to this genre of music - You can have a breakdown in many other types of music (more so in metal etc).

Here's an example from Dream Theater, it's a pretty good one I'd say it has good effect and is actually a section from a song off a different album of theirs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJta8qGNnXw&feature=player_detailpage#t=388s
Last edited by Zanon at Jul 27, 2011,
Quote by MatthewLeisher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vgq3UUJjlk

12 seconds into this song is an example of a good break down that isn't your standard "Just hit open, palm muted power chords in a dropped tuning."

As for my opinion on breakdowns. I like them when they're done tastefully and creatively. As someone above said, lazy writing is lazy writing. Breakdowns aren't required to be devoid of any creativity, but when they are, they suck.

Everyone, pay attention to this man. He listens to Parkway Drive.
Ok. FBD by Pantera was a great album for it's time.

Having said that, after listening to some of the examples provided above, I'm not a fan of breakdowns. I dunno, may I just don't 'get it'.
The only time I've ever found breakdowns cool was the ones on stuff like Anthrax's 'Among the Living' album or when Pantera did them.

It's not that lame "chug-chug-squeal" bullshit, which I've never thought was cool.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I can't stand the open note chug-chug-pinch harmonic ones. They can sometimes put me off a song. :/
Wasn't the original "breakdown" just the stripping back of instruments?

Also I do still enjoy hardcore breakdowns, but I tend to just ignore the bad ones and focus on ones that I really like.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Hail
I think almost no one said that.

NHGBDFGVCVBG FGBGTBVSDFBGSDVFBGbgbsfbvDV VBGFVXbgvx cg.

You guys I just wrote the SICKEST brake-down ever!!!!!!

D|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
F|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
C|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
C|-00000000000000000000000000000000000000---|
Page 1 of 2