Page 1 of 2
I'm probably going to have $1,500+ by the end of the summer to spend on either a new guitar amp or on building my own computer. I love music and guitar and I plan on going to college for music but I also love computers and gaming.

I have a crappy Line 6 Spider III 75 watt amp that I have been wanting to replace for years but I also only have an HP desktop with a crappy graphics card, 2gb of ram, and a dual core processor which is decent for playing WoW but only on lower settings for a constant high frame rate, so I have always wanted an awesome computer too.

I probably won't have this much money to spend until next summer or the end of next summer so it's a really hard decision to make for me haha. I love computers and music and I feel like a good computer would have advantages for my musical interests as well as gaming.

Asking this on a guitar website is probably going to completely bias my answers but whatever haha.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Last edited by Stringz of Fury at Jul 26, 2011,
You obviously need a new amp.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
What you really need...

...wait for it...

...is a new amp.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Coltrane

The apple always falls close to the tree, but the tree always falls on the power lines.
A new computer will deteriorate much faster than a new amp will.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Last edited by Carnivean at Jul 26, 2011,
I just bought a new amp last weekend. Damn you guys and your crappy memes.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
In all honesty, you should probably get what is more convenient overall. A new amp may motivate you to practice more and a new computer can help you with your studies.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Coltrane

The apple always falls close to the tree, but the tree always falls on the power lines.
Quote by Gyroscope
$1,500 is enough to buy both.

Not if I want a Mesa Boogie Mark IV and a computer that can run new games on max settings and get good fps.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
What you really need is a new fog machine. FFFFFFFFSHHHHHHHH
Quote by Milesthedude
If you're havin' room problems I feel bad for you son,
I got 99 problems but a room ain't one.

Artist of the Month: Mic Righteous

Birmingham City FC

Carling Cup Winners 2011
Guitar > video gaming
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Why buy a computer? It will be obsolete in a year. An amp will last 35. At least my last one did.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Why buy a computer? It will be obsolete in a year. An amp will last 35. At least my last one did.
You're not the most taxing player.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by Swannie
Guitar > video gaming

true, but it seems fun to build your own computer and you could use it for more than just gaming.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by UraniYum
You're not the most taxing player.

Huh?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
You can build a decent computer for 800 dollars, leaving you 700 for the amp. You probably won't get a horribly overpriced Mesa (yes I know they play nicely), but you can still get a good amp.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
Quote by Jackal58
Huh?

being the age you are, your need for a computer is much less than most other people.
Anything is going to sound amazing compared to your Line 6 dude. If you're savvy you can afford both.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by Marshmelllow
being the age you are, your need for a computer is much less than most other people.

That's not at all what he meant. He meant basically that the reason he's had the same working amp for 35 years is because he uses it very lightly or very rarely.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Marshmelllow

My computer can beat up your computer.
And my amp rocks too. Pffffftttt.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Definitely a new amp. Spend less time on the computer, more time playing guitar. Get good at guitar. Play guitar for money. Buy/build a new computer with the money you get from playing guitar.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by chaos13
Definitely a new amp. Spend less time on the computer, more time playing guitar. Get good at guitar. Play guitar for money. Buy/build a new computer with the money you get from playing guitar.

Hmm? Logic in the pit? AWAY WITH YOU!
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by mike_anderson25
Anything is going to sound amazing compared to your Line 6 dude. If you're savvy you can afford both.

Yeah, I just like to go all out and focus my money spending rather than spreading it out and losing potential quality. I feel like I should dedicate all my money to music/guitar but sometimes it's nice just to play some video games and relax from the repetitive practicing of guitar since it really is a lot of hard work and dedication to get good.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Unless you gig, get a new computer. Get one of those digital modelling amps and you will pretty much get a tube sound at a $300 dollar price. If you do plan to gig,

- Tube Head

- Speaker Cab

- Distortion Pedal

and your set basically.
Quote by Carnivean
That's not at all what he meant. He meant basically that the reason he's had the same working amp for 35 years is because he uses it very lightly or very rarely.

I used it all up. That thing had over 250K miles on it. It's been puked on, kicked, burnt, in two car wrecks, acts of procreation performed behind it and the tubes replaced about 6 times. Half the knobs are missing, the tube sockets are worn out, the main power transformer is arcing and all the speaker outputs are worn out. The handles have been missing since I lived in Belgium, the on/off switch hasn't worked since I moved to Michigan. I play through it for about 10 hours each week and finally decided to buy a new one Saturday morning when it started smoking again. Bless Mr. Peavey and his amplifiers. I bought another one.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I would say both.

You can build a nice AMD machine, or a lower end i5 Intel machine for around $1000 and still have enough for a better amp. That PC should hold you for another year or so depending on what you are playing. Also what is the res. of your monitor?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Carnivean

Thats not what i meant. all im saying is the longevity of the items life shouldn't affect the persons need for it. also ive found that people who have grown up with computers in most cases will use (and need) them to a larger extent. i could go further into it but i wont.

also that was not meant to be offensive.... and im sure your amp could kick the hell out of mine. not my pc though
This is my opinion, and I think its genius....But...

I'd get a new amp. Hell you could spend 80% of the money and get a great new amp. Then when you're comp dies, you could ask your parents to help with that. Say for school and blahblahblah. Most parents would help get their kid a new computer but not a new amp.

Just my two cents.
start waiting tables, get enough money to buy both. problem solved
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by longman240
What you really need is a new fog machine. FFFFFFFFSHHHHHHHH

This.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by axethrower13
This is my opinion, and I think its genius....But...

I'd get a new amp. Hell you could spend 80% of the money and get a great new amp. Then when you're comp dies, you could ask your parents to help with that. Say for school and blahblahblah. Most parents would help get their kid a new computer but not a new amp.

Just my two cents.

Nah my parents are the opposite my mom was already going to help pay for my amp up to $200 if i needed it but she would probably never help me buy a computer cause I already have an alright one.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by CullenT
start waiting tables, get enough money to buy both. problem solved

Next summer I will as I am only 17 and I just started working in a restaurant as a busser so I don't have that much experience :/
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
I'm kinda confused because your profile says you're 31. I initially assumed that you were some kid a couple years from college. If so, your computer will be pretty much obsolete by the time you hit university, so it would be best to wait on getting a new one until you absolutely need to. Therefore, get the amp, practice your ass off, pay for college by playing bars at night and/or on weekends and double major in music and either engineering or Comp Sci and you're set.
Quote by creelers
What if he doesn't want to do Engineering or CS?

I would love to do computer science it's just if I could only pick one major it would probably be music theory mostly because music is more something you can show off than computer science and I know more about music and am already more talented at guitar/music than I am with computers.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Last edited by Stringz of Fury at Jul 26, 2011,
Get computer.
Practice computer skills.
Get competitive job in growing computer industry.
Become ludicrously wealthy.
BUY TWO AMPS.
Page 1 of 2