Hi UG,

I have had this amp since last summer and until now it seems to have been a great little amp. But, it seems to have a problem.

Sometimes when I stop playing, the amp gives off this hissing sound that gets louder and louder and then gets quieter and then the amp goes back to normal. Sounds like waves do when they go into shore and then back out. It's very strange. It happens at any volume really but has only happened a few times

I have had this for a while so I imagine the warranty is not working anymore. Does it sound like a tube problem? Maybe a speaker problem (have not been able to try other speakers, but should be getting some soon) and also, the amp probably only needs to last until christmas as hopefully I should be getting a new amp head then

Thanks alot
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Could it be just signals interfering with the amp some how? My amps is in the same room as my home hub and a laptop that I use whilst playing so could that be it?
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
You could need a valve replacement, but I'd be thinking about interference. It could just be that you live too close to a new radio transceiver or something like that.
My friend routinely picks up radio through his ZVex fuzz factory at his house, but I own the same pedal and have never had the problem half a kilometer away.

EDIT: ^yeah that could be it. Do you use Wi Fi connections at home? I'm not sure but that could be the cause...
Last edited by guy_tebache at Jul 26, 2011,
Yes, we always use wi-fi connections. And, I also know that there is a phone tramsceiver near me (not sure how near) but it's just strange that it only happens quite rarely. How long do tubes usually last? I basically play everyday quite quietly for about 30 mins but somedays (like 2 - 3 times a week) I play the amp with the volume nearly full for about 2 hours straight.
Sounds like RF interference. It'll depends on atmospheric conditions as well (which is why AM radio drops out and your {pre-digital} moblie phone signal can drop off). You may also be under a flight path (commercial, military, accident and emergency) and some aeroplanes and helicopters can affect signals, too.

Ever been playing and had your phone go off and get buzzing through your amp? Same deal.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
It's not only radio that transmits on RF. Everything from bar-code scanners to train signal boxes operate in that way. I used to work for a company that designed and built the stuff for a variety of applocations - from radio reception and broadcast, military communications through to wireless broadband and the aforementioned train signalling.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I think all of the Ht5's pick up a radio station or 2....I know the one I had did bad at the same time every evening.
Yes there is a mobile phone mast near me and a train station just down the road. Also, I don't think it's a tube issue as when it's hissing I sometimes turn the amp to stand by and back on again and it'll still be hissing. Also, a few helicopters fly over my house each day so maybe it's just that. It seems to do it randomly, not every day like mmjohn. I also know there's an army camp close to me aswell so I must just be in a really bad location! Thanks alot for the help! Stopped me worrying
HT-5's have a slim tube compliment so it'd be cheap to retube. Is it still running stock tubes? Even if it isn't them causing the hissing problems (which it probably is) it'll drastically improve the amp's tone for little cash. People have had great results retubing HT-5's with a full JJ compliment
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
HT-5's have a slim tube compliment so it'd be cheap to retube. Is it still running stock tubes? Even if it isn't them causing the hissing problems (which it probably is) it'll drastically improve the amp's tone for little cash. People have had great results retubing HT-5's with a full JJ compliment

Stay away from the gold Ehx 12bh7 it made the radio issue worse.....
Really? I've heard that retubing the ht-5 doesn't make much of a difference, I have been thinking about retubing it. Is it self biasing? Nobody seems to really know!
Quote by Slap-happy
aeroplanes

What is this "aeroplane" you speak of?
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Quote by larson8er

Thanks for the help...
Quote by larson8er

i spose colour is wrong too huh?

mensa is calling, for your sister...

UK did you get it sorted?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
i spose colour is wrong too huh?

mensa is calling, for your sister...

UK did you get it sorted?

Yes I think I have. It seems to be whenever a Helicopter passes over my house so no amp problem I don't think! I'll keep checking just in case it is coincidence but right now that seems to be the problem