Page 1 of 4
I came across the statement in the title recently and I was wondering what you guys think about it.
BLUEGREEN

Quote by sashki
Jazz III. It's not my choice. It's the correct choice.
I disagree. Sure it isn't like playing the guitar or the piano, but it takes talent to be able to do in a manner that keeps a crowd entertained.

Beat matching, scratching, and actually picking songs that a large number of people will be entertained by isn't something everybody can do.

Also, a lot of dj's produce. Which is another difficult thing to do.
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Jul 26, 2011,
inb4 Axelfox comments saying that it takes much less talent than playing a real instrument
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
DJs are talented obviously, but I wouldn't respect them as much as I would a musician who wrote his own material.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Depends on the DJ.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I still have no idea what a DJ does.

*ignores severalspecies*
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by SeveralSpecies

I was gonna post this, nice.
Quote by Survivalism
The Dual Rectifier is my sexy finishing move.

Quote by Survivalism
Nobody knows the words to Evenflow, they all just go "bramamamamamamamamaamamamabooowwllofcornflakes"
Quote by :Vicious--
I still have no idea what a DJ does.

*ignores severalspecies*

They suck peoples dicks for money.

Glad you ignored me now?
Quote by psyks
That's hilarious. As much as I love Rollins, I can appreciate a good 'fuck you' when I see one.

Oh I love Rollins.

He probably got a good laugh out of that track
Quote by SeveralSpecies
They suck peoples dicks for money.

Glad you ignored me now?

Now that's a better post.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Oh I love Rollins.

He probably got a good laugh out of that track
For sure. If that guy stands for anything, it's not takeing himself too seriously.

I think I've got to go watch Rollins stand up clips now. That man entrances me
Last edited by psyks at Jul 26, 2011,
It depends on the DJ, and to be honest that statement could be applied as well to other musicians.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
DJs that actually do mixing/remixing are actually very talented. They make midi tracks that follow a songs chord progression or beats that thy can adjust by bpm to different songs. In order to do that they need a lot of musical creativity. Imo to become proficient at doing that is like becoming proficient at an instrument. Now, the reeaally good DJs can do all that shit live, which is actually amazing to see, and can be loads more entertaining than a band's show.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by ZanasCross
1st grade up through 5th grade, the cool kids always sat in the back of the bus, so I never understood why Black people were so upset, I thought we were telling them they were cool.
Quote by Eric_Fail
DJs are talented obviously, but I wouldn't respect them as much as I would a musician who wrote his own material.

Many do. They use samples to create new compositions, often adding their own and playing "real instruments" to go along with it.

Edit: I agree with the statement if it refers to Disk Jockeys that really are jsut playing other peoples music, of course. Legitimate turntablists and electronic producers are valid musicians.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jul 26, 2011,
Some DJs are amazing, but unless they are also a studio technician or producer, etc., I don't much care about anything they do. To me comparing them to musicians is goofy. They aren't musicians, they are entertainers, although a very skilled entertainer.
And don't forget, like I said. A lot of DJ's are also producers. In fact I don't think I've ever paid to go to a show where the DJ didn't showcase their own productions.

edit: Oh it seems people have been discussing what I just said...
If they write their own stuff and/or take time to put everything into a mix before playing a set, then I respect that.

If they just have 2 cd's, a crossfader and put in some scratches every now and again, they're talentless hacks.
Quote by Butt Rayge
If they just have 2 cd's, a crossfader and put in some scratches every now and again, they're talentless hacks.

Even still, properly beat matching and getting everything to flow in a seamless fashion on a two deck set-up is very difficult to do. If your talking about when they just play a song and then fade it out without beat matching or anything, then yea, that's kinda silly.
Learning to write electronic music (produce) has taken me way longer than learning the guitar. I learned the basics of the guitar in a couple months. I still don't know how to do the vast majority of what a given producer will do, and most will tell you the same. "No, I've actually never tried that! I've always thought it would be interesting though." Kind of thing.
Quote by captaincrunk
Learning to write electronic music (produce) has taken me way longer than learning the guitar. I learned the basics of the guitar in a couple months. I still don't know how to do the vast majority of what a given producer will do, and most will tell you the same. "No, I've actually never tried that! I've always thought it would be interesting though." Kind of thing.

I agree with your thoughts on electronic music or just producing in general. It's so ridiculously complicated that you wouldn't even know where to start if you picked it up. The guitar on the other hand, is much easier.

With that being said, I'm still planning to give producing a chance. I think it's some crazy stuff.
BLUEGREEN

Quote by sashki
Jazz III. It's not my choice. It's the correct choice.
That statement (OP) is complete and utter bullshit if you're, like everyone else is saying, talking about a true turntablist. I've tried that shit. It's so difficult it's not even funny.
"You don't need any hairspray, Clarence... You don't have any hair."

'Ave atque vale'
I shall rise again, Bardo of the flesh
Last edited by TheAndrewSHug at Jul 27, 2011,
If you're the guy "DJing" a high school party putting on one dubstep track after another, then yes, the statement is true.
I've tried Producing before and it's a lot harder to layer sounds when you're creating them all from scratch than it is with one guitar or a band full of instruments which you've heard being played before. There's a lot of versatility and options available so it is very difficult to produce a listenable song which actually makes sense to the listener and isn't insanely boring.
well, when they're playing douchy/shitty dance music for a club full of douches, then yes. but DJs at a few shows i've been to serve a legit purpose playing music in between bands
No
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
I don't think they're particularly talented, but then not many 'proper musicians' are either. There's a difference between possessing a skill and being talented.

As for the musical chops of DJs, that pretty much depends on the individual. Some dick who plays at nightclubs probably isn't reinventing the musical wheel. But there are some electronic musicians who are very clever and creative; Aphex Twin springs to mind. I think there's some difference between an electronic musician live a DJ live though...
Quote by willT08
Whoever said that has never tried to DJ.

Agreed.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
'Real' music and electronic music need different skills, but talent is irrelevant.
Quote by Colgate Total
Is deadmau5 a DJ? I love that guy. Yes homo.

No.

Also Producing =/= DJing.
Quote by 37 Narwhals
'Real' music and electronic music need different skills, but talent is irrelevant.

Why is electronic not real music?

I do believe I have heard it before and its not imaginary, but I could be wrong.
Page 1 of 4