Page 1 of 9
I was wondering how the pit feels about this. I've spoken to quite a few people that fee some sense of pride over their skin colour, and I've always found it to be silly. For example, when you hear a black person say that they're proud of being black because of the hardships that their race has overcome. Most of the people that I hear say that are way too young to have gone through any of those problems that their ancestors had to deal with.
I also feel that it's about as silly as nationalism. It makes as much sense to be proud of being a certain colour as it does to be proud of the country you reside in just because you were born there.

Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I find it idiotic.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I feel the same about that as I feel about national pride. Go ahead and be happy about it. That makes sense. But why be proud of something that happened to you by chance?
Is bloody stupi'
Quote by Milesthedude
If you're havin' room problems I feel bad for you son,
I got 99 problems but a room ain't one.

Artist of the Month: Mic Righteous

Birmingham City FC

Carling Cup Winners 2011
People should be proud of who they are and where they come from. What's so idiotic about that?
I've never seen a smiling face that was not beautiful. ~Author Unknown
As worthless as cultural, national, and religious pride. Why have pride in something you haven't contributed the slightest effort to have/be part of?
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Don't care either way.

I don't see why people can't be proud of where they live though. How does that hurt anyone?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by nishhza
People should be proud of who they are and where they come from. What's so idiotic about that?

It's idiotic to be proud of the fact that you happen to have a certain skin colour, and think that you have a reason to be proud of something that was done by your ancestors. Same goes for nationalism. It's stupid to be proud of the place you were born when you just happened to be born there.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
It's idiotic to be proud of the fact that you happen to have a certain skin colour, and think that you have a reason to be proud of something that was done by your ancestors. Same goes for nationalism. It's stupid to be proud of the place you were born when you just happened to be born there.

It's stupid to be proud of your accomplishments just because you happen to have been born genetically capable of them.
Im proud to be a stupid racist Australian!
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
Quote by WCPhils
Don't care either way.

I don't see why people can't be proud of where they live though. How does that hurt anyone?

It doesn't hurt anyone. But why would someone be proud of something they didn't contribute to?
nobody should be ashamed about their heritage x_x

pride mght be too vague of a term... i think everybody should try to embrace their roots, no?
I think you should be proud of who you are.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by captaincrunk
Racial pride is a good thing. It encourages endogamous marriages.

...why is that a good thing?

Anyway, race has always seemed a silly and fairly meaningless concept to me, and in modern times it's become an increasingly loaded term. I don't think race is something to be proud of - it's just part of who you are. That doesn't mean that it's something to be ashamed of, either.
Quote by piratemetalhead
nobody should be ashamed about their heritage x_x

pride mght be too vague of a term... i think everybody should try to embrace their roots, no?

I never said that anyone should be ashamed of their race. I'm not proud of being white, but I'm not ashamed of it either.
Quote by L2112Lif
i'm damn proud of my race. i don't care what you say, the 100 yard dash is great!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
It doesn't hurt anyone. But why would someone be proud of something they didn't contribute to?

I guess I know what you mean. I'm not proud of being an American because of things that have happened in the past or anything.

I thought he meant more of rooting for your country in the Olympics or something like that. I guess I misunderstood him.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
I guess I know what you mean. I'm not proud of being an American because of things that have happened in the past or anything.

I thought he meant more of rooting for your country in the Olympics or something like that. I guess I misunderstood him.

Nationality=/=Race
Quote by L2112Lif
I'm glad to know that a bunch of white teenagers find it silly.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I have no problem with people being proud of where they came from. But when that pride gets in the way and comes off as egotistical and self-centered, blinding them from the fact that there are hundreds of other groups of people who are also as "special" as they are, it pisses me off.

With that said, I am Asian, and I really dislike my Asian people a lot of the time. It's probably because they're so goddamn clique-y. I'm sure all other people do the same thing, but I just notice it more cuz I'm Asian.
why WOULDN'T you take pride in who you are? there's a point where you can be TOO proud, but come on. i'm proud to be a carpenter, i'm proud to play guitar, i'm proud that have a girlfriend, why shouldn't i also be proud that i'm american? or that i'm white? hell, if i want to be proud that i have prostate cancer, who the hell is anyone to say i shouldn't be?
My sig? Nice.
When people say they're proud of being "x" race, nationality, etc I just take it as them saying that they're happy to be that. For some it can be a big part of their identity, I have no qualms with it.
I may be stretching it a bit but, if you are pride of your race aren't you basically saying that a certain race is superior to the others. And by doing that supporting that people are different by their ethnicity.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by element4433
I'm glad to know that a bunch of white teenagers find it silly.

Regardless of what teenagers think, it's still kinda silly IMO.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Nationality=/=Race

Ah OK, that's what I was confused about. I misunderstood the original post
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Regardless of what teenagers think, it's still kinda silly IMO.
Key word was white not teenagers.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by BurningTurkey
why WOULDN'T you take pride in who you are? there's a point where you can be TOO proud, but come on. i'm proud to be a carpenter, i'm proud to play guitar, i'm proud that have a girlfriend, why shouldn't i also be proud that i'm american? or that i'm white? hell, if i want to be proud that i have prostate cancer, who the hell is anyone to say i shouldn't be?

Those are things that you accomplished yourself.

Because you had no control over those things.
Quote by L2112Lif
noone should be proud of anything.accomplishments=ego.at the end of the day all you really do is destroy the world while your alive.also pride is a sin.

let alone race
Quote by element4433

Regardless, I still think it's silly.
You're not allowed to be proud of anything, ever.

Everything is controlled by your DNA, which, by the way, you did not create. Wow, you can read, good job, too bad your capacity for intelligence is derived from your gene code ASSH*LE.

Play first string D1 football? Get over yourself, it's because you are genetically predisposed to explosive strength muscular fiber types and your hard work ethic is due to your parental upbringing.

Being proud is simply idiotic!
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Those are things that you accomplished yourself.

Because you had no control over those things.

Unless you immigrated here, most legal immigrants I know are extremely proud to be an American, more so than the prideful nationalist Americans, except they are not crazy.
Quote by Ostinattos
I may be stretching it a bit but, if you are pride of your race aren't you basically saying that a certain race is superior to the others. And by doing that supporting that people are different by their ethnicity.

not exaclty. i'm proud to be white, but i dont assume to be better than black people
My sig? Nice.
Quote by element4433

My point is that it's stupid to be proud of something that you had no control over whatsoever. Racial pride becomes even more idiotic when people start bringing up how their people overcame all of these issues years ago. That's as silly as me being proud to be American because of the revolutionary war.
Quote by L2112Lif