Just wondering if anyone else starts a typical minor pentatonic 16th note sequence with an upstroke?

The picking pattern (Am pentatonic for example) is: up-A note 6th string fifth fret, down-C note 6th string 8th fret, down- D note 5th string fifth fret, up-E note fifth string 7th fret, up-C note 6th string 8th fret, down-D note 5th string 5th fret, up-E note 5th string 7th fret, down-G note 4th string 5th fret etc through the rest of the scale to the 1st string.

Although the way I play this uses alternative picking as a basis, by playing it this way also incorporates directional picking, inside playing and by "pushing through' onto the next string is a good introduction and basis for sweep picking.

Love to hear your thoughts
Care to tab that out? I feel like I'm reading a scavenger hunt.

I noticed today that I start a lot of my descending sixteenth note runs with an upstroke.
Tab would help.

All I can tell you is Paul Gilbert starts loads of licks with upstrokes.
Where's Waldo?
Like this:

e|-----------------
b|-----------------
g|-----------------
d|---------------5-
a|-----5-7---5-7---
e|-5-8-----8-------

P|-U-D-D-U-U-D-U-D-

?

I've experimented with playing things that way, I find that economy picking with 2 note per string ideas lends itself more to repeating patterns like this though:

e|-8-5-----8-5-----
b|-----8-5-----8-5-
g|-----------------
d|-----------------
a|-----------------
e|-----------------

P|-D-U-U-D-D-U-U-D-
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Like this:

e|-----------------
b|-----------------
g|-----------------
d|---------------5-
a|-----5-7---5-7---
e|-5-8-----8-------

P|-D-U-D-U-U-D-U-D-

?

I've experimented with playing things that way, I find that economy picking with 2 note per string ideas lends itself more to repeating patterns like this though:

e|-8-5-----8-5-----
b|-----8-5-----8-5-
g|-----------------
d|-----------------
a|-----------------
e|-----------------

P|-D-U-D-U-D-U-D-U-

I edited it to the way I would play it. Then again, a couple people have told me my picking is strange so idk.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
I edited it to the way I would play it. Then again, a couple people have told me my picking is strange so idk.

Nothing wrong with pure alternate picking, it's what I default to most of the time but economy picking sounds and feels different.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
This is economy picking.

I use it in conjunction with all other types of picking (you never should use only 1).

The only problem I've found with economy picking is that you need to already know the phrase, and have already dissected it a bit to find the most economical way to pick it.
Quote by ToXyN
This is economy picking.

I use it in conjunction with all other types of picking (you never should use only 1).

The only problem I've found with economy picking is that you need to already know the phrase, and have already dissected it a bit to find the most economical way to pick it.

You need to have learned something to play it fast with alternate picking, what's your point?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You need to have learned something to play it fast with alternate picking, what's your point?

lol, no, not really. I can jam and improv. Have a band mate or play with someone for the first time, and if they call out keys, notes.. or play a bit. I can jam with them or expand there melody etc. on the fly... usually with alt picking.

But after words i would look at what they wrote and say "hey, you could pick it this way instead and it would be easier to play"

I would say over half of the songs i play, i've learned on the fly while playing with other people.
Quote by ToXyN
lol, no, not really. I can jam and improv. Have a band mate or play with someone for the first time, and if they call out keys, notes.. or play a bit. I can jam with them or expand there melody etc. on the fly... usually with alt picking.

But after words i would look at what they wrote and say "hey, you could pick it this way instead and it would be easier to play"

I would say over half of the songs i play, i've learned on the fly while playing with other people.

If you're fluent with economy picking it works much the same way

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.