Page 1 of 2
I'm not trolling, honestly. I need you guys' help, for a friends sake.

So my friend who's a guitar player is looking to get a new amp, as all he has right now is some no-name practice amp with shit distortion. He's completely sold on the Line 6 Spider IV. Why? Well, he's never heard it or played it, yet he's read the descriptions on MF about how it "Faithfully reproduces the sounds of Valve Amps", has "Mind blowing distortion", and has 100's of presets that sound "just like the real thing".

I've tried to explain to him that it sounds like shit and is not worth getting, but he keeps saying "All the reviews say it's good". And yes, I have recommended him amps like the Cube, Vypyr, etc., and he again brings up the reviews and says "Those amps didn't get as good of reviews as the Spider. The Spider is supposed to be the best".

So he won't listen to me, but maybe he'll believe you people. So please, give me all the reasons why the Spider sucks, and be serious and mature about it. I'll show him the replies when enough are given. Help me save him from himself.
^this. Alot of people wouldnt know or realize. but its true
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Make, I mean make him play other amps, from $2000 all tube 100W heads to the Cubes and Vypyrs you mentioned.

Show him clips of it sounding fucking terrible.

Hell, show him UG.

And if you're reading this, friend of Ian, please listen to him. there are too many stories of people hating their Spider series amps because they sound terrible.

If all else fails, let him suffer.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Yea what he said ^^^. Clearly he has never played pure tube distortion and has no ear for the quality of tone. You need to help him quickly (an impossible endeavor) develop his ear and he will soon change his mind.
why do you care.

back in my day when my friends did something stupid i would laugh at them.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
The Spider II was my first amp back in the day, and I loved the hell out of it. It's probably not a lot better or worse than any other modelling tech, realistically. I like Line6, and I enjoy their products and their way of doing things, and I liked their Spider.

I think most of, if not all the bad things said about it from from bigoted purists. And **** those people.

If he likes the Spider, let him get the damn Spider.

Only thing I'd say, regardless of brand, is hold out for something with a 12", and at least 70 watts. You can at least muddle through a band situation with one of those.
Last edited by Wolffgang at Jul 27, 2011,
Quote by AcousticMirror
why do you care.

back in my day when my friends did something stupid i would laugh at them.

Because he will have to listen to it.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
He shouldn't believe anything anyone says without playing the amp first.

Also, I think a lot of the hate around here has stuck around from the spider II, which sounded crappy. Maybe they've improved with the IV, maybe not, either way he needs to take buying an amp more seriously and not decide on what to buy based on advertising.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
cause it doesnt replicate tube sound nothign so far replicates tube sound and thats why we still put up with tubes

it sounds digital
and the amp isnt good for anything else than for begginer practice and even that its not that great...

TS's freind listen to your freind he is wise and for the same price oyu can get much much better tone

forgot to mention...these are all my opinins your might be different but try out the amp and then try out different amps(not the mg) to compare for tone and youll see
Last edited by supersac at Jul 27, 2011,
It's overpriced and sounds digital. The smaller ones are alright for beginners learning what different effects sound like I guess, but the big ones are a ripoff.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Honestly, I don't mind the Spider series that much. It's supposed to be a beginner amp, and it does that well. After a year or two of playing, yeah, you will want to upgrade to a quality tube amp. But until then, I think the Spider amps get a lot more gruff than they deserve.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dBOqHqKMzk

In the right hands (ie. someone who knows what they are doing) they can sound pretty good. In the wrong hands (ie. 99% of beginners and people who don't know how to operate an amp) they'll sound like shit.

I still wouldn't get a line 6 amp personally though, as there are better options out there (the ones you metnioned)
i say just let him get it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
We all make our own mistakes at some point and learn from it...
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
exactly. let him buy it. im sure he'll love it. and maybe one day he'll realize he hates it. maybe not. but if he does, you can throw him an "i told you so" party. now wouldn't that just be grand?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Simple test. Take him to a shop that has the Spider and a few of the amps that it models. Dial up the amp on the Spider and have him plug into it. Then you plug into the actual amp it's trying to model and both play. If he can't tell the difference give up trying to talk him out of the Spider and try to talk him into going to an ear doctor instead - because he has a more serious problem than naivity in the face of marketing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
A lot of us here are paid by the competition to recommend something else.

Dood, can you not spoil it for the rest of us?

Tell your friend its got sound that has a snarly and digital edge, the only model that is usable is the clean model, plus for whatever he forks out for the higher wattage Spiders there's probably an ACTUAL tube amp that will sound significantly better than a Spider.

NosralTserrof: your sig makes my day
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 27, 2011,
Are there better sounding amps in that price range? Yes. Are there worse? Yes. The Spider series isn't that bad.. for a beginner playing in the bedroom they're fine. Awful amps for gigging or playing at anything other than bedroom levels, however.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
A lot of us here are paid by the competition to recommend something else.

So everyone in this forum is paid by Peavey just to say 6505?
Quote by Steve635z

Not all of us! There are a few who aren't on the bandwagon (although I think it's a solid amp, just not the greatest piece of matter in the universe).
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Never tried it, doubt I would like it anyway.

OT: Take him on a date to a guitar shop and let him try it and various other amp in that price range. If he still wants the Line 6 then he's not a keeper.
Quote by Steve635z

If so many kids didnt come in here asking to sound like generic overproduced metalcore bands (that use 6505s) who all the sound the same, then we wouldnt have to recommend 6505s all the time
True, but there are a few people who just say it religiously even when people are asking for an amp for a totally different genre.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Yeah but they're muppets who've sneaked in here from the EG section

For some the answer to life is 6505, not 42.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by coolstoryangus
If so many kids didnt come in here asking to sound like generic overproduced metalcore bands (that use 6505s) who all the sound the same, then we wouldnt have to recommend 6505s all the time

This is definitely not the vibe I get from the recommendations. You make it sound like people reluctantly recommend 6505s. Someone could be wanting a country-sounding amp and the 6505 would be recommended.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Again. Only by morons who've migrated from the EG section who would also recommend a schecter hellraiser for such a task.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Again. Only by morons who've migrated from the EG section who would also recommend a schecter hellraiser for such a task.

Got it the first time. I was just pointing out that people aren't as reluctant as you. That is all.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Meh, when i first started playing, i was smitten with my 2nd hand 150w spider II, and often brought the br00t4l1ty from its "INSANE" setting (because metal is not metal enough).

Eventually i matured to the point where i was bored with it, but up to that point it was fine.
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
Quote by WantsLesPaul
* Warlock and Line 6*

Dayum!! That person would be able to br00talZ me to death!
It's not that bad, but there are better amps for that price.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
The reason we all hate the spider is that for the same price (or less, in the case of the bigger ones) you can get an amp that is so much better.

You should tell your friend not to place so much trust in the reviews at MF, most of those are 13 year olds who either just got the amp an hour ago or don't even have it yet, they're just so excited waiting for it to ship they BS their way through a review based on how they think it will be.

The first rule of the free market: "Everything is worth what it's purchaser will pay for it." And poorly adjusted 12 year old's moms must pay a lot, because Spider IVs are getting expensive for what they are.

Also folks, I've played the Spider III and IV. I don't know about the II but I've heard theyre quite different. So saying you loved the II has no bearing on the IV.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
The reason we all hate the spider is that for the same price (or less, in the case of the bigger ones) you can get an amp that is so much better.

+1

I'd have one if it were free

But for the price they are (even used)...you can usually do a lot better.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
cmon tis looks way better than som gay ass combo

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I think the spider IV is great for what it is, a small practice amp, it's not meant for gigging and recording, so it won't be very good at it.

ive gotten good tones out of my spider. And they work fine.

ON the other side, the Fender Mustang III i tried was great.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Page 1 of 2