I am going to be getting my Peavey Vypyr 100w amp in 2 weeks from today! I am also 2 weeks from then going to get the sanpera II pedal for the amp! But thats not what this post is about... I've been thinking about my next guitar...

I am currently using an Ibanez rg5ex1, i like it alot but i want something new... I love the looks of a Fender Strat with the Brown Sunburst and maple neck... not anything super expensive, just the $500 version.

My real question is this, would i be able to get tones with the strat with bands like ac/dc, metallica, pantera? I have to ask knowing that the vypyr amp will be able to create an amazing metal tone, a good plexi tone and everything, but will the strat ruin that tone? thanks for the help! dont hate on me... i've been playing for 5 years but i've never taken the time to reallly learn alot about guitars and amps...
AC/DC, maybe. Really depends on your amp and how that sounds. And the pups. I've got Lace Red Silver Blues in mine and its incredibly versatile. The Red is awesome for some hard rock as its wound more and has a higher output. The Blue is hotter than a normal Strat, but it still retains that 'round' tone. But if you're looking to use a Strat for metal, you're probably going to want to swap from single coil to humbuckers.
Quote by Mohican
AC/DC, maybe. Really depends on your amp and how that sounds. And the pups. I've got Lace Red Silver Blues in mine and its incredibly versatile. The Red is awesome for some hard rock as its wound more and has a higher output. The Blue is hotter than a normal Strat, but it still retains that 'round' tone. But if you're looking to use a Strat for metal, you're probably going to want to swap from single coil to humbuckers.

I've been giving it alot of thought, now i might get the strat for JUST rock stuff, then i might stick with my ibanez for metal until i get a better "metal" guitar. i was just looking at the kirk hammett signature and i like the way it looks, im gunna watch some reviews on it right now
I love my Strat. Like I said, incredibly versatile. I've never played a Vypyr before, so I don't know how it would sound out of it, but I recently (today) sold my Genz Benz El Diablo- a high end boutique metal amp. I could get a decent tone from it, but a Fender wants to be a Fender. I got a Fender Hot Rod to replace the Benz and it sounds amazing for rock to even some metal. Best advice; take your amp to the store and plug it in!
It depends on what strat. If you get a strat with 3 three single coils, you may get acdc, but not much heavier. Put a humbucker in the bridge or something like a stacked single coil and you can do metal with the vypyr, but not with 3 singles.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
for the millionth time a strat with single coils can do hard rock no problem and it can work for the less extreme metal as well. pantera, not with a strat.

now i agree with putting in Lace Sensors as they are noiseless and will give a better sound with distortion. my Strat + Deluxe has a blue in the bridge and silvers in the neck and middle. the blue has some real balls but retains the strat sound,the silvers have more balls than a regular strat pup but not a lot more. (see The Land Unknown in my profile the song uses 4 out of 5 pickup combos and shows the range that it can get fromclean to distoted)
Problem with an HSS Strat is you lose two of the standard Strat sounds and some people just don't like how it looks. Especially on something like a sunburst Strat with a maple neck, a modern pickup config can look odd.

What you can do though is stick a stacked, noiseless single coil in the bridge and install a push-pull to switch the bridge + middle setting from parallel to series. That way you keep all the original tones plus you can switch it to have a really full, very loud humbucker tone. The american deluxe Strats already have this sort of wiring in them plus they have the same for the neck too. But it's easy to add to any regular Strat if you can't afford an american deluxe.