so ive been working on this, on and off, mostly late at night and its become sort of a really ambiant hard/metal/whatever core mixed in with some djent to fill the mood. to really get what i want everyone to hear out of this turn your moniter off the first time through and close your eyes and just listen with out picking it apart, as it is being ambient styled also very repetitive and youll get bored watching it do the same thing over and over again, just some helpful advice because it bores the hell out of me to watch it and i know it will you as well. in any case c4c, the more informative you are the more ill try to be back.

feel free to tear it apart and post what you think i shouldve done, i love hearing that stuff.
Attachments:
new epic stuff and meh.gp5
new epic stuff and meh.mid
new epic stuff and meh.gp4
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
tbh, Its abit too simple to be Djent in a way, because technically Djent should have polyrythms. But this does have potential, in my opinion, you need to add abit of groooooove, and the bass needs a real bass riff.
Do you actually play in G# on a 6 string? Because honestly mate, it dont make a difference if you play in Drop Z or Drop D, doesnt make you any heavier or better. If the Music is heavy, it will be just as heavy playing it in standard with a 7th fret capo.
yeah the djent bit is kinda just tagged on there from that one part at 67-ish i guess its more post rock but whatever, its all just fancy names to tag similar stuff together, if teh guitar makes a"djent" sound its djent to me lol. and yeah, i love the way my guitar sounds in drop g# [ive got a few in standard too] but the in person tambre of it and the way i can play a full sounding piece with just my guitar really woks nicely when i do all the music by myself, its just a personal thing i guess. wanna throw up some groove stuff for me to check out to improve this? or an idea for a bassline?
Quote by metul kult

the djent part ay 67 didnt fit in at all. it was kind of annoying (the guitar part anyways). thats my only problem.
It's a pretty decent song. Few things I would say though;
The slap bass sounds really annoying and is obviously not a slap bass part so I presume would just want the sound. If that's the case what I do is have a picked bass track on around 15/16 and then a double bass track on slap bass at around 13/14, get a nice bass sound that way.
This isn't djent at all in anyway by any definition.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
Djent is used to describe a certain kind of guitar tone characterized when a two-octave power chord is palm-muted; a "djent" sound is created rather than the typical chunkier (chug chug chug) sound.

Djent also refers to repeated staccato playing of the lowest-pitch string on a detuned 6 string or 7 string guitar with a powerful attack such that the string goes very slightly sharp upon the pick's release from the string. Lower-gauge strings are used to facilitate this.

i guess that needed clarifying =/

but in anycase ill try that on the bass, it may work a little better, guitar pro just doesnt really have good midi bass tone, but ive never tried that
Quote by metul kult

Quote by envoykrawkwar7
Djent is used to describe a certain kind of guitar tone characterized when a two-octave power chord is palm-muted; a "djent" sound is created rather than the typical chunkier (chug chug chug) sound.

I agree, this is the original onomatopoeic meaning that Misha popularized. Your song did not contain this.

Quote by envoykrawkwar7
Djent also refers to repeated staccato playing of the lowest-pitch string on a detuned 6 string or 7 string guitar with a powerful attack such that the string goes very slightly sharp upon the pick's release from the string. Lower-gauge strings are used to facilitate this.

Well Meshuggah, the godfathers of djent, play 8 strings.

I would say that rather than being a technique or onomatopoeia, djent is now considered a genre that is a branch of progressive metal; the focal points of the genre being low tuned guitars, syncopation, polyrhythms, odd time signatures and time signature changes.

Once again your song did not contain this.

Colossus
Quote by frankibo
I
the focal points of the genre being low tuned guitars, syncopation, polyrhythms, odd time signatures and time signature changes.

Once again your song did not contain this.

so really, because i dont have polyrhthms and time signature changes that would in an atmospheric sense sound unpleasant to an unfinished song such as this im wrong in generalizing it by having 60% of that "genre" present? i find this argument about something thats less of a genre and more of a #trendingtopic in metal irrelevant to the song and working on it, im just looking for ideas of what to do with it, not to argue about something as useless as whether or not it fits in a tag
Quote by metul kult

I see your point completely, all I'm saying is don't call it djent if it's not djent.

Colossus
Quote by frankibo
I agree, this is the original onomatopoeic meaning that Misha popularized. Your song did not contain this.

actually, messugah did. but that's neither here nor there

as for the song itself, it does have potential...but the guitar and drums need some serious work if your going to be going for the Djent tag, i could show you what i mean, if your alright with me futzing with your gp tab.
Quote by JunKDepot
Holy double post here's my edit.

it starts at Bar 67.

that was absolutely awesome man. thank you. now i hate the rest of my song =) lol.
but seriously thank you a lot. i might actually be able to salvage the rest of this with that to give me new ideas
Quote by metul kult

Quote by JunKDepot
actually, messugah did. but that's neither here nor there

He said popularized, not invented.

And to damo13, yes playing in G# will be heavier than standard with a capo, and it's stupid to say otherwise. Not that most people tune low to be heavy anyway. It's about range.

And to the couple people that mentioned polyrhythm, I don't think I've ever noticed any polyrhythm in djent. Just polymeter. There's a big difference.

And finally to OP. I actually have nothing to say wrong about this piece and I didn't think the djent bit felt tacked on at all.
I can give two shits about the genre labeling , this is just a great song man. When all the orchestral parts come in around 59, it's beautiful. The djent part actually added quite the atmosphere, I thought it fit well with the piano and strings. Menacing and serene, odd combination, that section reminds me of Aspirations, by After The Burial.

Great job man.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7
that was absolutely awesome man. thank you. now i hate the rest of my song =) lol.
but seriously thank you a lot. i might actually be able to salvage the rest of this with that to give me new ideas

Cool beans dude. XD though i don't think you should hate your song