I have a Peavey Vypyr 15 and I keep the pickup volume on my guitar between 1 and 2 when I use the high gain channels , mainly JSX, 6505 and XXX

I set the pre-gain to 12 o'clock
post-gain to 9 o'clock
Master Volume to 1

I want to know whether setting the pickup volume on my guitar too low is a bad idea.

Should i be turning it up higher ?
Quote by joey78
I have a Peavey Vypyr 15 and I keep the pickup volume on my guitar between 1 and 2 when I use the high gain channels , mainly JSX, 6505 and XXX

I set the pre-gain to 12 o'clock
post-gain to 9 o'clock
Master Volume to 1

I want to know whether setting the pickup volume on my guitar too low is a bad idea.

Should i be turning it up higher ?

I would always max the guitar volume..

when you hate your neighbours: EVERYTHING ON 10
when you like them: just not damaging your ears-loud
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
keep your pickup volume on max, and roll it back when you want a cleaner sound. that's the general way people do it. as for volume, it's a solid state amp, so tone-wise it really doesn't matter if you have it low or high. set your gain to whatever you damn well want.
why would you roll the volume back while using a high gain setting?
isn't the point of a high gain channel to have high output?
maxed it for a fuller heavier tone if thats what your looking for.
Quote by aeromakesmusic
why would you roll the volume back while using a high gain setting?
isn't the point of a high gain channel to have high output?
maxed it for a fuller heavier tone if thats what your looking for.

I use to keep my pickup volume on 1

My pre gain and post gain at 3 oclock and master at 1 and it was horribly loud.

If i turn my guitar up to Max, i'd have to really cut back on the pre-gain i think. I will have to give this a shot
Quote by joey78

If i turn my guitar up to Max, i'd have to really cut back on the pre-gain i think. I will have to give this a shot

What you really want to do is set the volume slightly under one(thats what i did when i had the amp.) and it should be fine for bedroom practice.
just be very sensitive with the volume knob as it is very sensitive on those amps.
Quote by joey78

Yeah, that's the idea. Guitar-volume all the way up, then set preamp-gain and amp-volume to taste. Roll down the guitar's volume-knob for cleaner sounds without having to switch channels or fiddling with the amp's controls.
The correct volume level depends on how good you sound.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12