It's way too fast for dubstep. Try and start with a reggae groove on the drums and build up from there. Listen to some dub reggae for that nice triplet delay and reverb. What you're doing is more drumstep I think.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
What im about to say is purely constructive, I don't mean to be harsh or insultive! Firstly I love the piano riff and i think its a good basis to build the song on, but now for some advice. To begin with you need to remember all dubstep is 2/4 and thats pretty much the defining point of the genre, so you need to make the 2/4 feeling really prominent whether its with the drum track or bass line or whatever. Dubstep is also always 140bpm, it doesnt sound like youre far from 140 anyway, maybe it IS 140, but it sounds a little fast, this is just a point to remember. Youre tasty piano riff needs to be slowed slightly and maybe broken into phrases and chop and change to make it a little less note intensive, it would be perfect for a D&B track straight away though! Those or some basic principles anyway, the only other advice ill give is that dubstep has branched off in alot of directions recently so you need to choose one of these sort of sub genres to aim for, to me it sounds like youre going for a Skrillex/Nero (New material) sound? Just decide on one to really define your sound and polish up your synth sounds and bass line. I really hope that helps, I like the song, Im just trying to give you a bit of a push in the right direction seen as its your first attempt!
Quote by rednightmare
It's way too fast for dubstep. Try and start with a reggae groove on the drums and build up from there. Listen to some dub reggae for that nice triplet delay and reverb. What you're doing is more drumstep I think.

Good idea! but idk what drum step is lol that wasn't my intention.

Quote by andypc
What im about to say is purely constructive, I don't mean to be harsh or insultive! Firstly I love the piano riff and i think its a good basis to build the song on, but now for some advice. To begin with you need to remember all dubstep is 2/4 and thats pretty much the defining point of the genre, so you need to make the 2/4 feeling really prominent whether its with the drum track or bass line or whatever. Dubstep is also always 140bpm, it doesnt sound like youre far from 140 anyway, maybe it IS 140, but it sounds a little fast, this is just a point to remember. Youre tasty piano riff needs to be slowed slightly and maybe broken into phrases and chop and change to make it a little less note intensive, it would be perfect for a D&B track straight away though! Those or some basic principles anyway, the only other advice ill give is that dubstep has branched off in alot of directions recently so you need to choose one of these sort of sub genres to aim for, to me it sounds like youre going for a Skrillex/Nero (New material) sound? Just decide on one to really define your sound and polish up your synth sounds and bass line. I really hope that helps, I like the song, Im just trying to give you a bit of a push in the right direction seen as its your first attempt!

Hey man thnx for the awesome crit. I will take your advice and break it up. possibly change the time signature. I idolize Skrillex so I'm going for a little bit of his sound. I'll be sure to try again!
Click My Library to see what I've written

My Library
Last edited by Jonathan Trejo at Jul 27, 2011,