This is by far the youngest person I've taught. Ive taught 10 and up mostly but the six year old is my nephew (cousin's son). After two lessons, he can name the 6 open strings just by hearing them, so I know he's got that memorized. If I detune the guitar slightly on one string, he'll say "that doesn't sound right", so I know he didn't just memorize letters. I'm trying to teach him how to play the melody to waving flag, a song he likes and recognizes but as soon as I say the word "note" he loses focus. Any ideas on how to get him to focus?

P.S. I really dont want to discourage him, he likes music and I'd hate to be the one to make him lose interest.
Last edited by FenderMayer at Jul 27, 2011,
Is that a song that HE wants to learn? At that age, anything besides what they want tends to make them lose interest fast. Maybe ask him if there's any song he likes, and then learn it with him.
Quote by unyinz
Is that a song that HE wants to learn? At that age, anything besides what they want tends to make them lose interest fast. Maybe ask him if there's any song he likes, and then learn it with him.

Yah, I asked him what song he wanted to learn and he said "waving flag". I don't like it too much myself but he does so I'm teaching it to him .
I always had a policy when I was teaching privately that I would never take students younger than eight. Until that age, the bones and muscles are not developed enough to start playing guitar.

Maybe start with ukulele or keyboard or something to help him develop *some* musicianship, and have him graduate to guitar when he is physiologically ready.

K'naan is brilliant by the way. There is so much more to him than Wavin' Flag. It's kinda like how everyone associates Guns 'n' Roses with "Patience."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I always had a policy when I was teaching privately that I would never take students younger than eight. Until that age, the bones and muscles are not developed enough to start playing guitar.

Maybe start with ukulele or keyboard or something to help him develop *some* musicianship, and have him graduate to guitar when he is physiologically ready.

K'naan is brilliant by the way. There is so much more to him than Wavin' Flag. It's kinda like how everyone associates Guns 'n' Roses with "Patience."

CT

Yea, it's like how John Mayer is always associated with "daughters".
His 6 years old, I would assume he'd be a fan of The Wiggles?
Mention them and he will start salivating and frothing out the mouth and sing "Hot Potato Hot Potato".
Maybye you could find a really easy wiggles song for him to play along to, lets face it, every single 6 year old LOVES The Wiggles, if they don't chances are they are raised by Neo-Nazi perants who restrict his access to mainstream media or is Chinese.
Deffs teach him Wiggles.
As for focusing, Dunno, not good with child pyhsocolgy, can't even spell it, anything I say will probally get you landed in jail for child abuse so don't take my advice, ) just print out guitar tabs and make it simple, "this is fret 3 on the 1st string, the High E" and so on.
I remember starting to play at 10 or 11 or something like that, LONG TIME AGO, all I cared about was playing Slipknot and Metallica and I really had a hard time remembering note names so the teacher just wrote all the blues out onto tabs and it sped up the learning process, theory came into it later.
METAL!
Last edited by Ultraussie at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by Ultraussie

Mention them and he will start salivating and frothing out the mouth and sing "Hot Potato Hot Potato".

Big Red Car FTW.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Well, music theory isn't exactly a big bundle of action and excitement that gets kids on the edge of their seats. The best thing to do would be to explain to them that they need to learn chords and notes and all that fun stuff. It will be boring, but he needs to do his part by paying attention and understanding the information that you give to him. To be honest, he might be too young to start. I started when I was 6 or 7 and hated music theory. Now, I'm all about it. I'm probably the only kid in my school that explain to you diatonic harmonization, inversions of tetrachords, and symmetrical scales. Once he gets older and makes sure to stick with it, he'll be aching for more theory and will jump at the sound of the word: Chromatic!
Quote by Ultraussie
His 6 years old, I would assume he'd be a fan of The Wiggles?

... My bother is five and he has not the slightest clue who they are, Buzz Lightyear on the other hand...

On topic:
Like I said, I have a little brother, and though I haven't deigned to try and teach him anything, he enjoys mindlessly messing with my instruments. When I play he gets all dancy-headbangy-littlekidoncrackcrazy, so he definitely enjoys music. I've been thinking of sitting him down at the keyboard and trying to get him to understand the concept of the Cmaj, but I'm not sure he'll get it.... Hell ya know what, I'll try it right now..... (5 minutes later) Weeelllll, he could tell me when I played an octave and when I didn't, but his attention span was too short. Like I said, he could tell me when I played two C keys/ two F# keys, ect. He kept blanking out and pointing at things and asking questions though.

So... patience :p Just think, when you started how dedicated were you? Did you spend more time exploring the guitar than learning songs? I know I did!
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.