I have an Ibanez ART 320. I checked my neck and it's too flat. I've tried loosening the truss rod. I turn it 1/4 turn, retune, then I'll actually give it a day before I check it again. Well, the truss rod won't turn anymore (I won't force it, it just seems to be the max i can loosen it.) and the adjustment still isn't within the specs for this guitar. BTW, I'm using new Superslinks ( 9's). Also, my intonation is off on my low E. It's showing sharp and I have lengthened the string as far as I can. I understand that, by nature, the guitar is an out of tune instrument, but it seems that I should be able to get it closer.

I have set-up another guitar before so I'm not a noob to it, but I'm no expert either. I really would rather do it myself then take it to a shop. One, because there isn't a shop too close to me, and two, I'm cheap.
Last edited by david1707 at Jul 27, 2011,
Ok, it sounds like you may need more experience with truss rods to tackle this. If it's a 2-way truss rod, you should be able to back it off enough until it starts to bow the neck the opposite way. Perhaps the truss rod route is too big and it's maxing out before it's put enough pressure on the neck?

If it's a 1-way truss rod, then it sounds like the nut is seizing, and it may need some lubrication.
It's a two way and I won't force it to loosen anymore, but the neck needs to be a bit more concave.
I'd take it into a shop. They may encounter something like this often.
How far off is the action from the manufacturer's spec? I didn't have a problem getting to the spec with my Ibanez, and it looks like they used just about the same parts/specs on our guitars except your bridge is more modern-looking and it has a solid body.

Also, how are you tuning? I tune to D standard, and even bought a 'Wilkinson Roller Bridge' to try to lengthen the low E string enough to intonate it, and it's *almost* there but not quite. I remember when it was in E standard, it was the same way with the factory TOM bridge. If you look into one of those bridges, they might be able to reach just far enough for E standard tuning. Plus I don't know how the bridge is on yours, but the TOM that was on mine had a nasty habit of breaking strings.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
I don't know much about these guitars, but they sound like junk to me.

Once you get the problem figured out, how about an upgrade?
It's in E standard tuning. It's really not that far off, but enough that I have to have the action too high to eliminate buzzing. I think I'll just take it to a good tech the next time I change strings.
Too flat? Are you getting buzz anywhere? Neck relief is used to prevent buzz, if you've got no buzz then dont worry about how flat it is. I like really flat myself (in a neck anyways, not Everything should be flat).
What kind of bridge is that?
http://guitarneptune.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Ibanez_ART320BB_bridge.jpg
In a "normal" TOM bridge, you can take the thingy out and reinstall it backwards to get another 1/8 or 1/4 inch.
Quote by RebuildIt
Too flat? Are you getting buzz anywhere? Neck relief is used to prevent buzz, if you've got no buzz then dont worry about how flat it is.

+1

A flat neck plays best. If it's not buzzing, and not back-bowed, leave it alone. My best playing guitars have necks that are flatter than piss on a plate.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1