I am looking to get started in building my own guitars and was wondering what type of router to use? Will a Dremel Rotary Tool be worth buying? Is there any specific model you all prefer? Any special bits I need to get? Pretty much I'm hoping you guys can help me learn some basics about routers. Thanks everyone.
id look for one that has both a 1/4" & 1/2" collet
straight - bearing guided cutters, various lengths and widths
chamfur, round over bits

dremels are very usefull. mainly used for inlay work. can be used for a myraid of other guitar stuff.
buffing frets. screw holes. binding channels , control cover/ truss rod cover shaping ect ect
cutting metal (custom pickguard, pickup rings)
While you don't have to, it helps if you can also mount the router to a router table. I have a Craftsman professional series 2 1/2 hp router that has 1/2" and 1/4" collets that I use and never use the plunge part (I thought I would). I also have a little smaller Ryobi router mounted under a wing I made for my table saw. The table mounted routers make things like rounding over the body and cutting truss rod channels easy and consistent.
I use a plunge router, and yes a dremmel will work great for inlays.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As with any tool.. buy the best you can afford! For routing hardwood, a minimum of (true) 1.5 hp (more would be better!) and geared plunge feature would be a start. Also look for one with a 1/2" collet standard. You can always adapt it down for a 1/4" shank bit.
You cant use a dremel for routing big areas, you need a proper router.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man