So anyway, just bragging, but I'm going to see the Allman Brothers tonight at the Beacon Theater in Manhattan. Awesome. One of my favorite bands of all time at a great venue that's actually a short walk from my house. Gonna be fun. I haven't seen Gregg Allman since around 1988 when he was in NYC with Johnny Winter opening for him.
Technically, you are seeing the Allman Brother Band.. :3

Still, enjoy the show man! I've always wanted to see the ABB!
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
when I saw them at Jones Beach they kept breaking into 15 minute jam sessions and people were literally pouring out the door and leaving the venue... i was outside the gate watching it all happen it was pretty funny.
Lucky Dog! Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks are two of the best guitar players out there. Derek Trucks is the only guitar player that plugs straight into his amp and plays, no pedals or effects. Gregg Allman still has his amazing voice, and the music is timeless! I am jealous. Peace.
Quote by Larry Masterson
Lucky Dog! Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks are two of the best guitar players out there. Derek Trucks is the only guitar player that plugs straight into his amp and plays, no pedals or effects. Gregg Allman still has his amazing voice, and the music is timeless! I am jealous. Peace.

I'm not even sure whose in the band these days. Last time I saw Gregg Allman he still had Dickey Betts playing with him.
haynes is a beast at guitar.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Great show, exactly four hours long with intermission. It was a benefit for hepatitis C awareness so had several guests perform including Natalie Cole, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Phil Lesh and Billy Gibbons. Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes on guitar and a 4-piece rhythm section with three drummers and a bassist. And of course Gregg Allman on keyboards and vocals.

Haynes did a lot of the lead vocals, splitting around 50-50 with Gregg Allman. They opened with what IMHO is the perfect way to open an Allmans show -- with Don't Want You No More leading into It's Not My Cross To Bear. Other staples in the first set were Statesboro Blues and Black Hearted Woman. Natalie Cole came on and did three rousing songs that reallly got the crowd on its feet. Then they closed the first half with an excellent rendition of Mountain Jam.

The second half opened with a surprise as David Crosby and Graham Nash came out as a duo and did Teach Your Children and Guinnevere. After more Allman songs Phil Lesh joined them for a few Dead tunes (which, frankly, I could do without). The show closed with Whipping Post. There was one encore that started with Midnight Rider and I honestly don't remember what came after that, except that at one point lined up across the stage L to R were Gregg Allman, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, Billy Gibbons (who came on for the last song and seemed kind of bored really), Natalie Cole, David Crosby, Graham Nash and Phil Lesh.

The Allmans are really a Gibson band BTW. Trucks never puts down his red SG and Haynes alternates between a Les Paul and a big red 335. David Crosby was the only one who played acoustic all night and it looked to me like a Martin, though it was hard to tell. For other songs Crosby played a black and white Strat. Gibbons also had a LP for his one song.

I heard too that the show was broadcast live on SiriusXM and is going to be rebroadcast Friday, July 29 at 6:00 pm ET and Sunday, July 31 at 12:00 pm ET.
Last edited by Spud Spudly at Jul 28, 2011,
Sounds like you had a great time Spud. Glad to hear it! Crosby and Nash always wanted to see them, could't imagine seeing them also with the AB's! Thanks for letting us know how it went.
I'm still having trouble talking this afternoon, I lost most of my voice last night. Also walked out of there with a contact high. The smoke started drifting up as soon as the lights went down.
Sounds like it would be a great show, I'm gonna check Jambase to see if there's a setlist lying around. I just saw the ABB two nights in a row this past April at their Wanee Festival down in Florida, they sounded great. I also got to see The Warren Haynes Band play its' first gig, The Tedeschi Trucks Band (which was fantastic), and Jaimoe's Jasssz Band (which was also fantastic). I got to meet Jaimoe too, as well as Devon Allman (Gregg's son, whose' band Honeytribe is also pretty kickass).

To answer questions about the line-up, it is as follows:

Gregg Allman - Vocals, keys, and acoustic guitar (occasionally)
Butch Trucks - Drums
Jai Johanny Johnson (Jaimoe) - Drums
Warren Haynes - Guitar, vocals
Marc Quinones - Percussion
Oteil Burbridge - Bass (and vocals, if they cover Franklin's Tower)
Derek Trucks - Guitar

I'd like to know who this third drummer was, I know that Paul Riddle from The Marshall Tucker Band has taken a third drum seat with the ABB before.

Quote by blackbird51
when I saw them at Jones Beach they kept breaking into 15 minute jam sessions and people were literally pouring out the door and leaving the venue... i was outside the gate watching it all happen it was pretty funny.

That's one of the many things that they're known for. I mean, it is very well known that The Allman Brothers Band will take songs to the 15, 20, 30, and even 40 minute mark. And you say that this was at Jones Beach? The king venue for the Grateful Dead on the East Coast? As if those people are suddenly disgusted by long jams? I don't know man, but that just reeks of bullshit to me...
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Wow! That's a helluva set list. Lots of different stuff on there.

And Natalie Cole sang "Whipping Post"??!!! Crazy.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Sounds like a good time. What's wrong with them jamming for a little bit? Doesn't that make the concert better for us musicians? Longer concert and better than hearing them play it as is off record.