For my second build project I am going to work on a Gibson style flying V with a tune-o-matic style bridge. I'm just wondering what my Tremolo options are?

Edit: I realise that sounded slightly retarded. Of course other hard tail bridges will be an option. Just wondering what my best choice would be for one with a tremolo
Last edited by rivalmage at Jul 27, 2011,
Bigsby behind the TOM? Although I would imagin the TOM sadles would slice through the strings quite quickly when you used the trem.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
Bigsby behind the TOM? Although I would imagin the TOM sadles would slice through the strings quite quickly when you used the trem.

Seems like my best choice of possibilities. That would be something to be careful with
What do you mean my your options? You've already stated that you wanted a 'tune-o-matic'. I guess the only options you leave yourself with are the specific brand you go with, which I would highly advise against going with a cheap brand. I personally only use Tonepros. The only other option I think you have is string through, or stoptail? I've got both, they literally make no difference to me at all. I guess the string through supposedly has better sustain, but other than that I think its strictly for looks.
If you want a trem, Man up and Get an Original Floyd rose if note get a tonepros or make it a string through.... if your gonna use the whammy locking is the way to go.... if it's just for looks.... the other will be fine
There are Tune-o-Matic like bridges with rollers, like this: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Roller-Bridge-Chrome-plated-fits-Les-Paul_p_661.html

You can put a Bigsby behind that or a Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster tremolo.

A regular Tune-o-Matic would definitely cut through strings if you tried using it with a tremolo, just wouldn't work. Everyone else's suggestions are good too if you're not dead-set on a Tune-o-Matic.
Last edited by AussieRHCP at Jul 27, 2011,
Quote by syntheticocean
What do you mean my your options? You've already stated that you wanted a 'tune-o-matic'. I guess the only options you leave yourself with are the specific brand you go with, which I would highly advise against going with a cheap brand. I personally only use Tonepros. The only other option I think you have is string through, or stoptail? I've got both, they literally make no difference to me at all. I guess the string through supposedly has better sustain, but other than that I think its strictly for looks.

I meant my options for a tremolo that would work with a tune-o-matic bridge. I'd rather go with a tune-o-matic than string through.
I, along with everyone I personally know think Bigsbys are hideous and a great way to ruin a good flying V. I know a lot of people on here love them, but lets think about reality, if you don't like them yourself, don't waste time on one since they are so hideous.
Quote by syntheticocean
I, along with everyone I personally know think Bigsbys are hideous and a great way to ruin a good flying V. I know a lot of people on here love them, but lets think about reality, if you don't like them yourself, don't waste time on one since they are so hideous.

perhaps string through with tailpiece would be a better idea. I want to capture the style of the original gibson V's
get a stetsbar
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Just saying, Bigsby, or any tremolo other than a Floyd, will look retarded on a V.
Where's Waldo?
You do realize that string-thru and tune-o-matics have nothing to do with each other, right? I mean other than Fender and a select few others, most all have a TOM that are string thru. (look at all the schecters)
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
WHAT !!! (above). Check the videos on Youtube.There are some there with Les Trems and Bigsbys on Flying Vees.
I bought a cheap trem from China and switched out the stock tom for a roller bridge. I'm really surprised how well it stays in tune for only $40 including shipping. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/RebuildIt/pictures/gear/978509/978558 The biggest disadvantage was that I drilled some holes to mount it, but with the other hacks on this ax, no one is ever gonna put the original parts back on.
Try to get a PRS trem. they're pretty bad ass.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
oops, wrong place for my answer!
Last edited by RebuildIt at Jul 30, 2011,
As far as I'm aware: Bigsby, Gibson Vibrola, whatever Gibson used on the V. Khaler probably has something.
i say u go with a vintage/strat type trem. it would look nice on a V, but then comes the cost of locking tuners
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Who needs locking tuners? If you know how to cut and lubricate a nut right and make sure to string it right it'll stay in tune. I never have any serious troubles with my starcaster
Also a TOM isnt going to slice through strings unless you do some serious divebombing, all the gretsch 5120's/5122's have TOMs, a roller bridge would help with staying in tune but its not neccessay.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
You're pretty much exactly looking for a stetsbar. http://stetsbar.com/stop.tail.html

It is installed using the holes for a TOM and it wont cut through the strings because the tom moves with the strings.
Schecter Damien Elite Avenger FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster Fretless
Samick Dreadnaught Acoustic (Unknown Model)
Various Marshall Amplifiers
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
Quote by AussieRHCP
There are Tune-o-Matic like bridges with rollers, like this: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Roller-Bridge-Chrome-plated-fits-Les-Paul_p_661.html

You can put a Bigsby behind that or a Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster tremolo.

A regular Tune-o-Matic would definitely cut through strings if you tried using it with a tremolo, just wouldn't work. Everyone else's suggestions are good too if you're not dead-set on a Tune-o-Matic.

what i was coming in here to suggest.
Roller+Bigsby, but if you don't like them, Stetsbar.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood