I think the acoustics and the drums are really awesome! The vocals are quite nice , too but the trompets (?) don't really fit in my opinion
Quote by Weirdbag
I think the acoustics and the drums are really awesome! The vocals are quite nice , too but the trumpets don't really fit in my opinion
No, that seems to be the general consensus for us as well.

Is it the actual melody or the fact it's a trumpet (as in, the instrument itself) that jars?

I can't work it out lol
Last edited by fender_696 at Jul 27, 2011,
I have to agree. I like the song overall. But I do think that it would be much better if the trumpet wasn't in the intro. I wasn't really able to understand the vocals, but they did sound pretty cool. The song had a nice flow to it, nice job building on itself and progressing with out becoming repetitive.

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464865
HERE WE GO!!

omg this is SO FUN!

the problem with the trumpet is that it's INCREDIBLY silly sounding but I think that this is not a problem at all!! It's not the melody at all, people are just taken aback by the sound quality. VOCALS are through an interesting sort of backwards thing, it's nice. You have a really neat texture going on here! For a first effort it's VERY well done you have excellent attention to detail.

Nice chord progression to!! For just building on it again and again it works out well. This is a nice kind of music and REALLY ENCOURAGE you to make it your first work, not your last.

goggoog

return the luv, my bruv

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464675

sub on the YT and they will too
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Thanks for the feedback guys! Will return soon

We wanted to include trumpets because my mate can actually play the trumpet, but had to flog his trumpet because he was low on cash. So, we used the keyboard as the second best thing; not technically cheating

Also, another friend is in a ska band and has a fair amount of brass. I've asked him if he could record some live trumpets instead if I write down the melody for him. Will see how that goes!
First thing I notice, is obviously the trumpet thing... It sounds very good! but just a bit silly sounding, maybe try to find a different sound but keep that meoldy the same... 100%

very nice acoustics/drums and such... also, vocals sounded very cool. I like that strange backwards/radio sound on your voice... Are you just reverseing it? or have you used some sort of radioish effect as well? Id like to use that effect in my tracks, but it may just be your voice/backwards by-effect

One big thing that is annoying is that its quiet. Ive had to turn my speakers up... It sounds like a great track and exactly the type of stuff i listen to when lighting up a joint or browseing the internet... Should defiantly work more on this track and make it a bit louder and work on the trumpet sound..

good job!
Quote by DarrenReeder
First thing I notice, is obviously the trumpet thing... It sounds very good! but just a bit silly sounding, maybe try to find a different sound but keep that meoldy the same... 100%

very nice acoustics/drums and such... also, vocals sounded very cool. I like that strange backwards/radio sound on your voice... Are you just reverseing it? or have you used some sort of radioish effect as well? Id like to use that effect in my tracks, but it may just be your voice/backwards by-effect

One big thing that is annoying is that its quiet. Ive had to turn my speakers up... It sounds like a great track and exactly the type of stuff i listen to when lighting up a joint or browseing the internet... Should defiantly work more on this track and make it a bit louder and work on the trumpet sound..

good job!
Cheers man. Appreciate the comments.

With regards to the vocals. We had a proper singing melody and such but, once we recorded it (on a computer microphone lol), we realised the quality was appalling (in terms of recording and actual singing). We then just went mad on Cubase adding loads of effects before, ultimately, just reversing the entire thing.

Don't ask what effects we used. Literally just anything and everything!

Apologies it was so quiet! Not really sure how to make it any louder without distorting / losing quality of the track!

Do you have anything I could crit?
I really like this track... its very interesting.

The trumpets just don't need to be as in the front/center of the mix as they are. Maybe try out some sort of expander or something similar on them to get them a little more faded into the background. The guitars themselves all sound just great. I live the melody they carry along.

The vocals are... different. I suppose it is a backwards effect there but they are all entirely unaudible. Perhaps that was the purpose though I would love to hear exactly what's going on. I really like how the drums take a backseat in this aswell, so to speak.

Very neat track, all in all. Relaxing. Very relaxing... if the trumpets were a little less evident. :P

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465942
Criting as i listen
I like the melodies and strummin pattern of the guitar
The trumpet thing really doesnt work for me, maybe do it on guitar or synth
The reverse vocals or whatever i like, it really reminds of radiohead KID A
However sometimes it goes out of time

I like that, maybe add a section with clean vocals?
Thanks for the tip. How do I go about this?

Do you have any software you recommend? I have Cubase, but that's it!
I got hold of a well uhm lets say a veeeery cheap copy of the timeworks millenium pack VST effects, with a really good mastering comp and EQ in it. been using it for years, really good tools man. Quite expensive to buy tho. You could basicly use any compressor-VST, just add it to the mastering effects in Cubase, take a not too harsh compression rate (stay below 1:2.5 for a start, more than that will kill your dynamics - everything being equally loud all of a sudden), then lower the threshold until you hear something happening. Or go the other way, start with extreme settings to get a feel of what happens if you comp too much, then lift ratio and thresshold untill it sounds like music again :-) Make sure your loudest Peaks in your song reach the 0 db or a little less, if your highest peak stays at minus 10 dB, you've wasted some dynamic space - thats how it works in short.

edit - think this speedy tutorial is worth a visit to my signatures link in return ;-)
Last edited by MrSnuts at Aug 4, 2011,
hey thanks for the crit Id have to agree the chorus guitar line could do with improvement, and the acoustic is a bt bright (and the drums werent me so I had no control over that) though I quite like the lyrics (ecept for the chorus, if I do play this song again those chorus lyrics are going straight out the window)

Anyway your stuff, I liked the guitar work especially, they have nice melodys and the drums are fantastically suitable. Also I quite liked the trumpets. My crit is the vocals, they are really incomprehensible, they could do with a hook of some sort as well. I don't think it would take much change but if you turned them up in the mix and distorted them a bit less I think it would improve the songs vastly. Whilst I like the idea of making the vocals quite trancey I don't think the effect works so well in this case, but it seems I'm the only one saying this so maybe its just my taste. Anyway nice work
German Arse - Very ambient chilled relax vibe really enjoy it. I think maybe it lacks a lyrical hook and although I do like the funky vocals think it's a bit much for the whole way through.

Untitled 1 - I like the trumpet but it does sound very sythed and fake maybe a better plugin. The guitar is lovely and pleasing to the ear. Takes you on a journey. But again the vocals are (in complete objectivity) are a little annoying.

If your the one doing the vocals I can hear you through the effects you've got a good tone and seem to be able to carry it well. I think it would make the tracks a lot more complete with some clear vocals. Maybe get more experimental with the effects if you like those sounds but use them more as accents or to throw your listeners ear and have a good strong vocal line to carry the song.

Overall though great quality recordings, the trumpet hook is good but sounds very artifical and I like the chilled relaxed vibe you have going on.
thanks for the crit!

White lightning - cool vocals, guitar and drums, but feels like it didn't go anywhere, this is a great starting point.

Stalker song - awesome. the guitars sound great, and the vocals melodies go really well with it, and good job on the drums. This one had a more solid structure than the one above it, i think you should really push for making them sound like fully fleshed out songs. A lot of cool stuff going on here.

i'm getting a radiohead - in rainbows vibe