Hey people. So earlier this year I got a guitar (an acoustic because my parents thought it would be cheaper and less "noisy" than an electric). I've been trying to learn how to play guitar using the internet and what I've learned from playing the sax in school and I have discovered that it's harder than I thought. Currently, I'm on my summer vacation (probably the only large amount of time I have to try to learn guitar) and I have about a month before I go back to school and become stuck with schoolwork, sports, and band. So within this month, I want to be able to play my guitar well or at least learn a good amount to make me feel like I can actually play guitar.

So basically, I've made this post because I wanted to know what exactly I should start learning. I've been told to learn some simple chords, to learn power chords, and to learn some songs that I like. So far, I don't feel like I've made much progress. So if anybody could give me some ideas of different stuff to learn, I would appreciate it a lot.
Last edited by Chirag210 at Jul 27, 2011,
You've kind of answered your own question. Since you play sax I'm guessing you've already got some music theory knowledge.
Learn scales, learn open & power chords. Learn songs that are just 3 repeating chords, and above all. Practice.
Learn some Petrucci or maybe some Rusty Cooley, they have some great beginner songs

no dont do that, do what they said above me
Check out this video here for a bunch of songs with four chords

Edit: Damn it, got beaten to it
Quote by Chirag210
Do you guys happen to know some examples of 3 chord songs?

Blitzkrieg Bop-Ramones
Highway to Hell-AC/DC
Yellow Ledbetter-Pearl Jam

Pretty much any pop song from the 70's and 80's or from any period that I can think of generally uses 3-4 chords. Take a song like "Beat It" by Michael Jackson. Even though the main riff and the solo would be difficult for a beginner to pull off, the song still utilizes chords. If you played this along with the actual recording, it would sound great. It's just a matter of looking past the lead guitar/keyboard/vocal part and hearing the chords that make up the meat of the song
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Your Betrayal by Bullet for my Valentine has 1 chord for the Rhythym guitar, and 3 for the 2nd rthyym guitar. Lead would be ****ed on acoustic.
You can find the tab for it on the Ultimate Guitar website, I recommend you try and get Guitar Pro software and use the better tabs, they have playalong MIDI etc AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.

Its in a Drop C tuning so get some heavier strings or you'll be playing rubber bands.
METAL!
Quote by Ultraussie
Your Betrayal by Bullet for my Valentine has 1 chord for the Rhythym guitar, and 3 for the 2nd rthyym guitar. Lead would be ****ed on acoustic.
You can find the tab for it on the Ultimate Guitar website, I recommend you try and get Guitar Pro software and use the better tabs, they have playalong MIDI etc AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.

Its in a Drop C tuning so get some heavier strings or you'll be playing rubber bands.

Did you even read the original post?

TS, there's plenty of stuff you can be doing but you're not going to get "good" in a month - you need to be realistic about this. Ignore Ultraussie because stuff like BMFV is going to sound like absolute crap if you try to play it on an acoustic.

Pick a simple chordy song to learn and work on changing chords cleanly and getting something recognisable to come out of the guitar. I wouldn't attempt anything that was originalyl recorded on a distorted electric because again, it's going to sound like ass.

Try Every Rose Has it's Thorn by Poison or Knocking On Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by WalrusNutFart
go to justinguitar.com and check out the beginner's section, and the song section.

Yea that website seems to be quite good. I've already figured out some tricks to help with chord changing
Lots of stuff by CCR is three chords.

Bad Moon Risin' - D, A, G
Up Around the Bend - D, A, G
Down on the Corner - C, F, G

Lots of Green Day is three chords.

Warning - D, G, A
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - D, G, A (IIRC?)

Lots of "classic rock" stuff:
Brown Eyed Girl - D, G, A
Some Kind of Wonderful - D, G, A
I Go Blind - G, C, Am

What do you like?

Very important point, though, about not expecting too much too quickly. Just like sax took some time to learn, so will anything else.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Hotel Yorba - White Stripes - G C D

Don't Cry - Guns N Roses - Am Dm G C (there is more to it but you can blag it just using those)

For picking stuff, I recommend "Spanish Romance". It's not too hard and sounds lovely Just take it sloooowwwwwww
Great suggestions.

I'll be honest, I find the idea of learning guitar in a month distasteful, its a lifelong process, so the title of your post made me initially ignore it. I'm glad I clicked because I was able to understand the context of your needs and that's why I am responding.

But I respect you for wanting to start out correctly and slowly. Learning a few chords and basic strums and applying them to songs is the way to go. My first beginner chords that I teach are Dsus2 and G6 and Cadd9.

They are all 2 fingers and facilitate the idea of chord changes and open up several songs were I can incorporate by design chords like Am7, a great precursor to the C major chord.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by axemanchris
Lots of stuff by CCR is three chords.

Bad Moon Risin' - D, A, G
Up Around the Bend - D, A, G
Down on the Corner - C, F, G

Lots of Green Day is three chords.

Warning - D, G, A
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - D, G, A (IIRC?)

Lots of "classic rock" stuff:
Brown Eyed Girl - G - C - D - Em (corrected)
Some Kind of Wonderful - D, G, A
I Go Blind - G, C, Am

What do you like?

Very important point, though, about not expecting too much too quickly. Just like sax took some time to learn, so will anything else.

CT

^ this is where I would start . (or similar songs)
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Sean0913

My first beginner chords that I teach are Dsus2 and G6 and Cadd9.

They are all 2 fingers

Cadd9 is only two fingers?? Which Voicing? Csus2 maybe as an open chord, but how a beginner could relate that to songs is beyond me, though I am interested in how this chord(if it is the sus2) could work in relation to teaching beginners...care to elaborate?
Quote by James116
Cadd9 is only two fingers?? Which Voicing? Csus2 maybe as an open chord, but how a beginner could relate that to songs is beyond me, though I am interested in how this chord(if it is the sus2) could work in relation to teaching beginners...care to elaborate?

Sure.

x3x0030

You have the notes C E G and D - C add 9 It's not a sus2 as it has the E. Would you agree?

Try Sweet Child Mine in E standard Dsus 2 C add9 and G6...very easy to recognize. You can even do a beginner version of MTB, Can't you see, I can add Em and do Brown Eyed Girl. Capo 3 and I can do Lightning Crashes, I can do Semi Charmed Kind of Life, I can do Sweet Home Alabama... Add an Am and I can do Knockin on Heavens Door. I can do Eagles songs..it goes on and on.

Best,

Sean
Learn a load of Beatles tunes - their progressions are interesting and 99% of the time played in the open position. This has the benefits of developing your left and right hand techniques (switching between chord shapes and strumming) and learning something musical at the same time.

Obviously learn your major scale(s) and pentatonics which I might add; you will find surprisingly easy to remember on guitar as it's 1 shape that you simply move around the fret board - unlike sax.

Once you are comfortable with your chord forms then take a look at the CAGED system for chords and scales, given that you have theory knowledge already then understanding where the triads form on the neck should be easier for you.
Last edited by Zanon at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by Sean0913
Sure.

x3x0030

I like this way of learning. I thought you were going to teach Cmaj7 for some reason but meh
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I like this way of learning. I thought you were going to teach Cmaj7 for some reason but meh

Nope. That major 7th interval is way too defined and characteristic to function as a regular C transparently, until they get their fingers stabilized.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Sure.

x3x0030

You have the notes C E G and D - C add 9 It's not a sus2 as it has the E. Would you agree?

Just clicked that this voicing works and jumped on here to see if you'd already answered. I actually really like this-sounds more open with the E on top. At first I thought you meant a x30010 fingering which sounds a little dissonant for a beginner!
But yeah, totally stealing this voicing now ^_^
Quote by James116
Just clicked that this voicing works and jumped on here to see if you'd already answered. I actually really like this-sounds more open with the E on top. At first I thought you meant a x30010 fingering which sounds a little dissonant for a beginner!
But yeah, totally stealing this voicing now ^_^

LOL - I do this for a living, I hopefully know my stuff or Im in big trouble

Best,

Sean