Page 1 of 2
This belongs in the massive Opeth thread in the metal forum. At any rate, I'm not overly fond of the new song. It's not bad, and it definitely has that "grow on you" potential, but coming out the gate I'm not wowed by it at all. It sounds like all the parts of Watershed I didn't really care for.
Opeth fans have always claimed that they've gotten better with age. But actually each album since blackwater park has been progressively less compelling
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Carnivean
Opeth fans have always claimed that they've gotten better with age. But actually each album since blackwater park has been progressively less compelling

*ahem* Ghost Reveries?

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Afroboy267
*ahem* Ghost Reveries?

worse than watershed, somehow
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by lateraluspiral

How?

Watershed is a good album but Ghost Reveries is on a completely different level. Blackwater Park is immense as well as Still Life but Ghost Reveries has a much darker atmosphere which suits them more imo.
Quote by Carnivean

Blackwater Park is a boring album. It has some great songs on it, but as an album it's fucking boring. I can't listen to it like I do their other cds.

Quote by lateraluspiral

I disagree. Watershed had some of their most disjointed songwriting since their first two albums, and a great deal of it was this wanky, "look at how 70's prog rock we are" stuff that was comparable to pineapple on a meat lover's pizza. Musically Watershed might have been more ambitious, but there's no denying that Ghost Reveries had a much better flow and structure to it.
Quote by madbasslover
Blackwater Park is a boring album. It has some great songs on it, but as an album it's fucking boring. I can't listen to it like I do their other cds.

Blackwater Park was so good it influenced the Beatles. It was the album that put Opeth on the world map. It has Leper Affinity, Harvest, Bleak, Blackwater Park, and Drapery Falls--all of which are show favorites and encore selections. Aside from these songs, the others on BWP are still ****ing incredible, yet I could see how you might see them as boring. But I find that every Opeth album has the mix of orgasmic and more boring songs. Blackwater Park's advantage is that its orgasmic songs are just better than any of their other albums'.

In short, opinions conflict.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
Blackwater Park was so good it influenced the Beatles. It was the album that put Opeth on the world map. It has Leper Affinity, Harvest, Bleak, Blackwater Park, and Drapery Falls--all of which are show favorites and encore selections. Aside from these songs, the others on BWP are still ****ing incredible, yet I could see how you might see them as boring. But I find that every Opeth album has the mix of orgasmic and more boring songs. Blackwater Park's advantage is that its orgasmic songs are just better than any of their other albums'.

In short, opinions conflict.

See, the strange thing is that I like all of the songs on Blackwater Park, but when I listen to it all together as an album it bores me to death, and it's the only Opeth cd I've ever listened to that's like that.
Quote by madbasslover
See, the strange thing is that I like all of the songs on Blackwater Park, but when I listen to it all together as an album it bores me to death, and it's the only Opeth cd I've ever listened to that's like that.

For me I get that feeling when I listen to Ghost Reveries. Just goes to show that every Opeth album is their best album. (but not really)
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
For me I get that feeling when I listen to Ghost Reveries. Just goes to show that every Opeth album is their best album. (but not really)

Maybe it's just because Ghost Reveries was my first Opeth cd that I like it so much. It's like that fanatically religious neighbor you befriend when you move into the neighborhood because she brought you cookies before anyone else could warn you to stay away from her.
To be honest, I really, really prefer the old Opeth until Blackwater Park over the new Opeth. It just has better structures and less oestrogen.
Quote by The_Casinator
To be honest, I really, really prefer the old Opeth until Blackwater Park over the new Opeth. It just has better structures and less oestrogen.

Well, yeah. I'll defend Ghost Reveries to the death until someone says it's better than Still Life.
Quote by madbasslover
Maybe it's just because Ghost Reveries was my first Opeth cd that I like it so much. It's like that fanatically religious neighbor you befriend when you move into the neighborhood because she brought you cookies before anyone else could warn you to stay away from her.

Aha, well then, we've found the deciding factor. Blackwater Park was my first album. Lmao.
Quote by Overlord
Disappointing.

Edit: Still Life/Morningrise are the best IMO
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Jul 27, 2011,
Quote by madbasslover
Well, yeah. I'll defend Ghost Reveries to the death until someone says it's better than Still Life.

To be honest, Ghost Reveries doesn't deserve any of the hate the metal conaisseurs give it. It's a damn good album, period.
Quote by The_Casinator
To be honest, Ghost Reveries doesn't deserve any of the hate the metal conaisseurs give it. It's a damn good album, period.

I... I think I love you...
I enjoyed it to an extent. I realize that Opeth is going through a bit of a transition since Watershed and that they're writing different material to their old stuff. Bands change. I'm fine with that. I still love the older darker Opeth too.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Watershed was my first Opeth album and i still think Ghost Reveries is their best

like madbasslover said, Blackwater Park has tons of amazing songs on it, but i get bored listening to it for some reason nowadays.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Ghost Reveries is amazing! It's definitely up there with the best Opeth albums. A good album to say farewell to the best lineup/era of Opeth with I think. I really like the new track though, I was expecting, and hoping it was going to be like this.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
I was hoping ditching the metal might lead to song structures that make more sense. It hasn't.

And it sounds like they've kept the unique Opethy phrasing, but gotten rid of the atmosphere that was the whole point of having the unique Opethy phrasing. Not a fan I'm 'fraid.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Deliverance>other albums

I am very much not enjoying this. First the cover and now this? Michael better lay off the shrooms man.

Also, dem fucking lo gain guitars, dat fucking Hammond.
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Jul 27, 2011,
This is great, I'm really enjoying the track and the direction they seem to be going to with this song and hope it remains that way for the entire album. This is what I've been waiting to see Opeth do for some time now. Sadly although Opeth are taking a huge turn from Watershed and Ghost Revieres I still see the same fans are hating on them no matter what they do. It's true what others have said that they've done downhill since Blackwater Park (save Damnation) but I think this may be the breaking point fellows.

Anyways in terms of opeth album I say:

Damnation > Blackwater Park > Still Life > My Arms, Your Hearse > Deliverance > Ghost Reveries > Morningrise > Orchid > Watershed

The first two albums they released could have potentially been much better weren't they produced and mixed so horribly.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Jul 27, 2011,
Am I the only person who doesn't completely hate Watershed? Sure its a bit disjointed (as was orchid, but that still gets tons of praise) but in terms of individual riffs/melodies I think its just as good as any other Opeth album

Not completely sold on the new song, its decent but as another poster stated the first half seems to be completely devoid of the atmosphere that makes their music so enjoyable.
Quote by metalfan986
Am I the only person who doesn't completely hate Watershed? Sure its a bit disjointed (as was orchid, but that still gets tons of praise) but in terms of individual riffs/melodies I think its just as good as any other Opeth album

Not completely sold on the new song, its decent but as another poster stated the first half seems to be completely devoid of the atmosphere that makes their music so enjoyable.

I don't completely hate Watershed, it's just the runt of the litter as far as I'm concerned.
My lineup: Blackwater Park -> Damnation -> Still Life -> Ghost Reveries -> Deliverance -> Morningrise -> Watershed -> Orchid -> My Arms, Your Hearse
Quote by Overlord
Very much excited about the Herbie Hancock and Weather Report influence!
Quote by metalfan986

I like Watershed . Not so big on this new song.. but I don't always like listening to a sneak peak. I always feel it's better to listen to the whole album the first time around.
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS
Last edited by TheEducatedFool at Jul 27, 2011,
I'm liking it a lot. Different from anything they've done to date, but yet very Opeth. Let's see the rest of the album. I've yet to hear something I don't like from them on their 20 years of career, so I doubt Heritage could disappoint me.

For me the order would be: Still Life > Blackwater Park > Ghost Reveries > Deliverance = Damnation > My Arms, Your Hearse > Watershed > Morningrise > Orchid.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
My order: Ghost Reveries > Blackwater Park > Still Life > Deliverance > Watershed > Damnation > My Arms, Your Hearse > Morningrise > Orchid.

Even their worst stuff is good, their best stuff is absolutly amazing though. Ghost Reveries has to be one of the best albums i've ever heard.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Jul 27, 2011,
I'm glad they're going away from the Death Metal aspects, I much prefer Damnation over all of their other albums. This album looks like it might be a very close second if this single is any indicator.
Last edited by NothingRocks at Jul 27, 2011,
Everything After Deliverance has been meeeeeeeeeh. A good song or two maybe, but pretty boring. I blame the influence hanging out with Steve Wilson has had on him, probably because Wilson is a tit.
Quote by true_bacon22
Everything After Deliverance has been meeeeeeeeeh. A good song or two maybe, but pretty boring. I blame the influence hanging out with Steve Wilson has had on him, probably because Wilson is a tit.

I went ahead and highlighted your mistakes. A good effort, but hopefully you'll learn from this and do better next time.
Quote by true_bacon22

You're kidding me right? Opeth's best work was done when he took them under his wing as their producer. If anything you can attribute the decline of Ghost and Watershed due to Wilson's absence. I believe he's back to mix on Heritage
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Steven Wilson was a always a better producer of music than maker of music. Porcupine Tree is meh, way more shitty songs/albums than good.
Quote by Overlord
I think the discog makes a little pyramid:

Blackwater Park
     Still Life  Deliverance 
   My Arms,        Your Hearse
 Morningrise          Damnnation                  
Orchid                 Ghost Reveries 
                               Watershed

The new song, I don't dislike it, it's nice music, but it just doesn't compare to their older stuff.
Page 1 of 2