Instead they use something like the Line 6 podfarm...

I am not famaliar with recording at all...can someone link me or explain to me how exactly this works? A lot of the guitarists on youtube have such a good tone...but is it all edited? And all those tones come from computer speakers? What do you need to do this?

I use a peavey 6505+ and mesa cab which I love but some of those videos sound even better than my amp?

Thanks if you can help
it usualy goes like this

guitar-> pod or other, similar device-> PC.

you record everything straight to your computer thats why everything sounds pretty much like a studio recording
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
If it sounds good then chances are they used audio captured over USB and then replaced the cameras audio with the captured audio. Or they may have the Pod audio jacked into studio monitors.
Pod farm is a computer program brah, you run your guitar into an interface and then it goes into Pod farm or Revalver or whatever amp software you are using
Quote by lbj273
Pod farm is a computer program brah, you run your guitar into an interface and then it goes into Pod farm or Revalver or whatever amp software you are using

Ohhhhhhh okay thankyou, what are some popular interfaces for this???
Quote by hr113
it usualy goes like this

guitar-> pod or other, similar device-> PC.

you record everything straight to your computer thats why everything sounds pretty much like a studio recording

What are your guys opinion on this? Do you prefer just playing through an amp or using one of these interfaces to get the sound you want?
Quote by dvm25
What are your guys opinion on this? Do you prefer just playing through an amp or using one of these interfaces to get the sound you want?

Dude, The interface doesnt replace the amp, the interface is for recording, of course you can play through it, but personally i would never go live with a computer interface, amp is the way to go live, and also, if you want an interface that you plug to your amp, get a multi effects pedal with an usb interface, like the Digitech RP series for example, im gonna get myself an RP355 as soon as i get the money, it alows you to play, record and all that.
It features amp modeling and effects.
Personally i think would be the best choice, but i would never trade an amp like yours for a pc interface.
Quote by tntero
Dude, The interface doesnt replace the amp, the interface is for recording, of course you can play through it, but personally i would never go live with a computer interface, amp is the way to go live, and also, if you want an interface that you plug to your amp, get a multi effects pedal with an usb interface, like the Digitech RP series for example, im gonna get myself an RP355 as soon as i get the money, it alows you to play, record and all that.
It features amp modeling and effects.
Personally i think would be the best choice, but i would never trade an amp like yours for a pc interface.

lol NO WAY was I thinking of trading mine...I was just curious what people thought...thanks for the reply though!
Quote by dvm25
lol NO WAY was I thinking of trading mine...I was just curious what people thought...thanks for the reply though!

lol yeah, who would? xD
no prob dude, thats why im here! that and because i got nothing better to do xD
just because you don't see an amp in a vid doesn't mean there aren't any. many bands have there amps off stage for viusal reasons but once again doesn't mean there aren't any.

as for recording, digital is just plain easier to deal with. i use a Zoom Digital 8-track recorder (many use their computer with good results as well) and a Line 6 POD. my "studio" is in a corner of my den. getting a good sound in there with real amps has proved to be way to big a pain in the ass. (see profile for some of the results)
the tone will never replicate a real amp 100% either, can always tell when someones used pods/software. i prefer micing my amp up with a sm57 through an interface. sometimes use amplitube if im needing a completely different tone, though
What the hell videos are you watching? I don't think I've ever seen one with good tone, save for maybe those equipment demos by guitar center or whatever.
well i have a line 6 UX2 studio it's a good little divice and good budget home recording. to make these models sound good you need studio monitors preferably KRK's which are very good.

but the models still suck in my opinion, why? well cause they sound okay but can never sound like a tube amp. what i do is the following: (and thats' where many people are getting the good tones from) i play through my amp but record my amp with a sure sm 57 instrument mic. that mic goes straight into my line 6 UX2 into the program pod farm and it's recorded with adobe audition or protools etc...
Like others have said, they are using something like a Line 6 POD and are recording through USB interface. But you have a pretty beast setup as it is. I'd suggest getting a Shure SM57, Behringer Xenyx 1204USB, and some good headphones like Sennheiser HD280's. This way, you can mic your amp professionally and get a much more professional, full sound for covers. There are tutorials everywhere for micing your amp properly.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Like others have said, they are using something like a Line 6 POD and are recording through USB interface. But you have a pretty beast setup as it is. I'd suggest getting a Shure SM57, Behringer Xenyx 1204USB, and some good headphones like Sennheiser HD280's. This way, you can mic your amp professionally and get a much more professional, full sound for covers. There are tutorials everywhere for micing your amp properly.

+1

A pod or interface+amp sim can be a cool/cheap way to get other tones if that's what you're looking for. But if you like your sound and just want to record it, then the post above is what you want
Quote by AEnesidem
what i do is the following: (and thats' where many people are getting the good tones from) i play through my amp but record my amp with a sure sm 57 instrument mic. that mic goes straight into my line 6 UX2 into the program pod farm and it's recorded with adobe audition or protools etc...

this is what i was going to say some people are probably doing. there amp just isnt shown in the vid, and might edit out bits where they have to tweak knobs.

usually they'll tell you in the info or comments what they're using though
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
the same reason some people run a line drect into the PA.

the sound is pure directly in. with youtube, you have crappy cameras recording teh sound and teh sound does not sound true.

in a gig situation your running a higher wuality insutrment mic into the PA and normal volumes and thesound generally comes through clearer thanm it does crappy handheld recorder mics.

Its generally easy to tell if somebody is doing this on youtube. thier playing sounds like an mp3 song. otehr peoples sound well....like its recorded with a crappy camera with sound bouncing off the balls in their bedroom.

i find people doing this on youtube sound weird cause i know they are playing in real life yet thier sound seems fake or digital. they also sometimes process the recording too much and it really sounds fake....to the point where a guitar would never sound like that in person.

thats just me.
Quote by s31770
the tone will never replicate a real amp 100% either, can always tell when someones used pods/software.

I seriously doubt that. Most pro recordings these days are going to be live amps blended with modeling plugins.

Quote by ikey_

Its generally easy to tell if somebody is doing this on youtube. thier playing sounds like an mp3 song. otehr peoples sound well....like its recorded with a crappy camera with sound bouncing off the balls in their bedroom.

Or...they're miccing an amp and happen to have a high quality recording setup...?
If you're considering getting one ALONG with (not in place of) your current setup, here are my two cents:

I've got the UX2 with pod farm. It's great for practicing and recording. The stock amps and pedals podfarm comes with are ok, but I find it quite hard to obtain a decent metal distorted sound, which is why I'm seriously considering getting the metal pack. Once you put the guitar in the mix (of your recording) it sounds a bit better and blends in. I do get a bit frustrated with the tones I get from it sometimes, and it makes me wish I had my old tube amp back, but all in all it has served me well.

You can check my profile for 2 songs I made with just podfarm guitar tones. One song has drums (poorly recorded electronic drums) and the other is just guitars.
I'd always prefer to mike up a real tube amp. That way I can still have all the playing dynamics that only a tube amp can provide. If all you are playing is stuff where the gain is cranked way up then you aren't getting much in the way of dynamics anyway. In that case; six of one, half dozen of the other.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification