I was playing my ibanez rga42t on my amp and noticed the output level was much lower than normal. i decided to check the batteries only to discover that there were no batteries. this is odd as in the past the guitar simply didn't work without batteries. Is this related to an issue i've had with the eq switch( a cheapo alterntaive to a tone knob), whereby the switch tip fell off, cutting the sound off unless i jab a string end in it. Can anyone explain this?
no.

srsly can't explain...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
getting it fixed would be prohibitively expensive as i have absolutly no income.

i forgot to mention the pickups are only powered by 2 3volt batteries, could this be a low enough voltage that the pickups still work without them? i had to significantly raise the volume on my amp to hear them as normal
Actives are just low output pickups with a active preamp to boost their signal, tis how they are so quiet. So, technically, they will still act as a passive pickup without batteries, but it's best to use batteries with em, they work better.
i actually thought it sounded better tbh, when clean at least. there wasen't enough signal for distortion thought.
Replace that switch, man. You're making the contact with the string you jam in there - that's just nasty.
No idea why it was still working without a battery, that is a bit odd. You normally get naff all through a transistor if it's not powered. It is conceivably possibly that a signal can get through depending on the schematic. A transistor is sort of like two back to back diodes so they could have been behaving like that and letting through some signal. I'd be surprised if both halves of the signal got through. I'd expect it to be very small and distorted.
Here's a tip that I did on my EMG equipped guitar. I put a small phono socket on the back on the inspection plate (guitar with no pickguard like yours) that I wired up to the battery. It's a switched jack so it cuts the connection to the pickups when you plug in the charger. I then run a rechargeable battery and when it starts to get low I just plug in a battery charger. Before a gig I let it sit there on charge and even sometimes during breaks. Had the same battery in there for well over 10 years and still going strong.
If you are paying somebody to change your switch you might want to consider it. He's already poking around in there. You will need an actual battery charger to plug into it, not just a 9V adapter. I retrofitted a small phono socket into that as well so all I need to do is run a phono/phono cable to charge it up. A decent tech shouldn't charge too much for that mod if you explain it to him. He should be able to do it in less than an hour.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 28, 2011,
cathbard that is genius. holy crap.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I would have to look at the EQ circuit since according to the wiring diagram that's the second stop for the signal out of the p'ups (first being the selector switch), but it sounds like you're bypassing it with your 'fix', since it's an on/off (bypass) system.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
cathbard that is genius. holy crap.

It amazes me that nobody else does it. It just seemed so obvious to me. Who wants to go removing the inspection plate all the time? They are woodscrews after all, it's just a matter of time before you strip one.

Quote by Arby911
I would have to look at the EQ circuit since according to the wiring diagram that's the second stop for the signal out of the p'ups (first being the selector switch), but it sounds like you're bypassing it with your 'fix', since it's an on/off (bypass) system.

Ah, looked up the schematic? Good lad.
Makes sense, the EQ unpowered would be even more attenuation.

TS: fix your switch ffs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Ah, looked up the schematic? Good lad.
Makes sense, the EQ unpowered would be even more attenuation.

Thanks, but I'll note we're damn near the same age...(Although it is true that you will forever be older than I, at least a bit!)
On the Ibanez stock actives (some at least) you can switch the active circuit on or off. If it's switched off, you get less output but it also doesn't need the battery.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by PsiGuy60
On the Ibanez stock actives (some at least) you can switch the active circuit on or off. If it's switched off, you get less output but it also doesn't need the battery.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's just for the active EQ, not the active p'ups?
Quote by Arby911
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's just for the active EQ, not the active p'ups?

I heard it was the other way 'round.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by PsiGuy60
I heard it was the other way 'round.

Not according to what I can see in the wiring diagram, but I haven't found a schematic for the actual EQ circuitry yet.