hey guys,

im thinking of buying a new cheap , but good amp for practicing with my band..
i only own a small practice amp (marshall 15W), which i bought for 150 $ ..

i have a second , but horrible no-name amp (60W).. i dont even wanted to mention it, but well..

ive already read maaany reviews and it makes me even more confused about to buy what amp, well..
i actually play everything from classic rock to thrash metal , i love clean tone, but i also want to have a prety nice distortion

and price limit should be about 400$(yes im poor and dont recommend me: "hey if you just put 200$ you get that one, its really muuuch better" im poor ok? )
so i hope someone out there could help me with some recommendations

thx in advance
Last edited by c0rn1x at Jul 27, 2011,
are you looking for an amp head or a combo? i would say an egnater tweaker seems like a pretty good amp, but it goes out of your price range. anyway, here's the link

http://www.thomann.de/pt/egnater_tweaker_head.htm

EDIT: Also, what power are you looking for, what sound do you seek, this stuff's important too xD
Last edited by tntero at Jul 27, 2011,
JCA 20h and 1x12 it will run you about $350 new. Find it in the guitar amps stacks section online, at zzounds, ect.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you want just an amp maybe try a Peavey Bandit? I use an Epiphone Valve Jr. that I got used for $250 and an RP70 for effects I got a couple years ago for about $120. If you could find a used Valve Jr. you could get some sort of multi-fx pedal to go with it. The RP series is generally pretty nice and if you buy used you could get a much nicer one.

EDIT: The Valve Jr. can be used in practice, but you can't gig with it.
you're a stone fox
Last edited by Saint78 at Jul 27, 2011,
Also, i dont know how good they perform, but you can get a pretty decent multi-fx pedal with amp modelling for less than 300$ i know its not an amp, but if you can get a nice tone from it, who cares. if you play in a band, just plug it into the mixer, if you dont play in a band, plug in your headphones, or plug it to your amp
well, i first prefer a combo

amp head cabinets are quite expensive or am i wrong?
Quote by c0rn1x
well, i first prefer a combo

amp head cabinets are quite expensive or am i wrong?

Jet City makes some affordable ones.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
wow i just hda a look at some jet city amps.. and yea.. there are many out of my price range

and btw i own multi-fx, distortions pedals coz of my superbad(!) 2nd amp i mentioned in my first post
Is it a spider?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by c0rn1x
wow i just hda a look at some jet city amps.. and yea.. there are many out of my price range

and btw i own multi-fx, distortions pedals coz of my superbad(!) 2nd amp i mentioned in my first post

why dont you just plug the out of your marshall amp to the mixer and play through the band speakers? i think its better than buy a cheap amp, and then when you do have the money to invest in a decent amp, go for it
umm nice idea tntero but we do not own speakers -.- and my practice amp isnt good enough for gigs

and they said my 2nd amp is a noise machine (can't disagree )
What about a keyboard amp to plug your me50 into?
Quote by kutless999
Is it a spider?

forgot to answer that question.. umm no.. its a own brand name of a music store called "FAME"

Quote by kutless999
What about a keyboard amp to plug your me50 into?

i dont get it sry, never heard of keyboard amps (??)
Quote by c0rn1x

Where are you located?
Ject city is really cheap in the USA you can get the jca20h and the matching 2x12 for only $450 new.
I am only suggesting the JCA 20h, because it will give you really nice build quality and sound for a rediculously low price.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Where are you located?
Ject city is really cheap in the USA you can get the jca20h and the matching 2x12 for only $450 new.
I am only suggesting the JCA 20h, because it will give you really nice build quality and sound for a rediculously low price.

umm i live in germany hehe... no wonder its not so cheap here
Quote by c0rn1x
f

i dont get it sry, never heard of keyboard amps (??)

An amp that's used to play keyboards through, when they need extra amplification.

They have a very "transparent" sound, because they are built for letting the keyboard's signal play through without being "coloured". So one'd be perfect top plug your ME 50 into.
RIP Adam
I just looked at Thomann.de and the VHT special 6 ultra is only 222 euros. And it is a great sounding amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by SexyLikeAPig
An amp that's used to play keyboards through, when they need extra amplification.

They have a very "transparent" sound, because they are built for letting the keyboard's signal play through without being "coloured". So one'd be perfect top plug your ME 50 into.

do you mean a boss me 50?

@robbgnarly the VHT special 6 ultra looks nice.. but 6 W, is it powerful enough when playing with a drummer, i want to hear myself playing
Quote by c0rn1x
do you mean a boss me 50?

@robbgnarly the VHT special 6 ultra looks nice.. but 6 W, is it powerful enough when playing with a drummer, i want to hear myself playing

Keep up with drummer, yes. To gig un-mic'd, no. Also, say goodbye to your cleans.

Oh, and yes, a Boss Me50.
RIP Adam
Many people on UG use a keyboard amp with thier mfx unit(GSLEAD5, for example)
The Bugera V22 will also work, give you more clean headroom than the VHT. It also takes pedals very well, and would need it to go into metal territory.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by kutless999
Many people on UG use a keyboard amp with thier mfx unit(GSLEAD5, for example)

Plus, if you decide to take your band in a different direction (such as a Keyboard-Only-Prog-Folk band) you've got an amp for it!

Quote by Robbgnarly
The Bugera V22 will also work, give you more clean headroom than the VHT. It also takes pedals very well, and would need it to go into metal territory.

This is a good suggestion, just get it new so you don't get one with the plastic part.
RIP Adam
Once again I'm gonna say a peavey windsor. I got mine for 150 bucks used and a used bugera cab for 200 bucks. Its great for gibbing as well. If you want teh Br00talz all u need as a overdrive pedal of some sort. Unfortunatley it doesnt have great cleans.
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Fender Mustang III is $300, has a huge variety of tones and effects, comes with a footswitch, and has a built-in tuner. That would be a pretty uncomplicated setup, and you would have $100 to spare. 100W, 1x12" combo.

Of course, it all depends on if you REALLY want a tube amp or not. If you do, you could get a used, fairly transparent tube combo with a multi-fx, as others have recommended.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Last edited by muso_catolico at Jul 27, 2011,