Page 1 of 2
What is up with "emo"? It was originally an abbreviation of emotional, than it was punk, than it was a style of metalcore and a look that involves someone who wears all black and cuts themselves for attention. How did it become this?
Quote by Megadethfan245
What is up with "emo"? It was originally an abbreviation of emotional, than it was punk, than it was a style of metalcore and a look that involves someone who wears all black and cuts themselves for attention. How did it become this?

Because people who don't know what they're talking about start using the word incorrectly and it catches on.
Quote by jetfuel495
Because people who don't know what they're talking about start using the word incorrectly and it catches on.

I can't help but think you're typing about his use of than
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by Megadethfan245

Oh god, am I about to defend emo?

I smell stereotyping (or I just farted) so yes.

So, Megadethfan245. I assume you're chugging a beer right now? Gonna spider crawl out of your mother's basement soon for a fresh bag of cheetohs she picked up for you at the Piggly Wiggly?

Welcome to 2011, lad. Sit down and pay attention.

"Emo" was a nonstarter fad from several years ago. Yes, there are some vestiges of its bloated corpse, but those are merely the younger brothers and sisters of the great scourge of the naughts that most of us have already lived through. They'll grow out of it, eventually, and probably become hipsters. Actually, probably pale imitations of the hipsters that my generation (Millenials) is in the process of trying to pry out of our psyche.

Soon the Generation Z kids will find a way to stop copying us and all will be well.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
No, moron, penguin is a villain in batman.

no that's just a guy who looks like a penguin

this is what a real penguin looks like
Quote by SeveralSpecies
No, moron, penguin is a villain in batman.

No, moron, villain in batman is the joker.
Quote by Cap'n Braid
Soon the Generation Z kids will find a way to stop copying us and all will be well.

Wait, who comes under us and what are they copying?

Quote by Doppelgänger
no that's just a guy who looks like a penguin

this is what a real penguin looks like

Fool.

That's obviously Barbara Streisand.
Quote by Megadethfan245

Are you like 12 or something?

I remember kids talking about emo shit back in middle school.
Quote by Cap'n Braid
Oh god, am I about to defend emo?

I hope so, Cap'n Jazz

Ultimately, it was this:

Quote by jetfuel495

aye.
call me ziggy.
Quote by padgea7x
Wait, who comes under us and what are they copying?

Don't read that far into my rant!

I've had small, irrelevant, observations that the newest generation (1990s-2000s) for the most part seem to have hilarious renditions of my generation's (1980-1990) fads and such.

My little brother got into metalcore, and after I got done laughing at him I noticed that all his friends were like little caricatures of the already caricatured metalcore kids I knew in HS.

Quote by earthisearthis
I hope so, Cap'n Jazz

I had to separate "emotional hardcore" from "emo" in my head a while ago to avoid more contact with idiots.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Last edited by Cap'n Braid at Jul 27, 2011,
Quote by jetfuel495

This, cuz most people in the world have no idea what they're talking about, even me right now.
because language evolves.

in a corrupted manner, sure, but we have to welcome it. unless you want to be correcting people every time they point out irony when it's not or say literally when it's figuratively.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Cap'n Braid

I've had small, irrelevant, observations that the newest generation (1990s-2000s) for the most part seem to have hilarious renditions of my generation's (1980-1990) fads and such.

My little brother got into metalcore, and after I got done laughing at him I noticed that all his friends were like little caricatures of the already caricatured metalcore kids I knew in HS.

Caricatured metalcore kids? Do they have big noses, goofy teeth and other comical features?

Quote by Megadethfan245

No, just no. It never was and never will be. Mostly because punk is angry and emo is whiny and full of self pity.
you're a stone fox
An American comedian known for his high-pitched childlike delivery
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I have always hated the word "emo". However, this word means something different to everybody. It is very similar to the word "pagan" which also has a million definitions, depending on who you ask.

For me, I don't know what to feel about the supposed "goth" clique which I am assuming resembles the "emo" phrase. Many of these people are rich suburban kids who do this for attention. I feel disgusted by people who cuts their wrists and show them off proudly. If they really meant business, they would have cut vertically instead of horizontally. I do believe people who make their cuts obvious are just looking for attention, and they don't deserve it.
Quote by Saint78
No, just no. It never was and never will be. Mostly because punk is angry and emo is whiny and full of self pity.

You apparently don't know than because once emo was pretty cool. Back when it was ONLY punk
Quote by Cap'n Braid

I had to separate "emotional hardcore" from "emo" in my head a while ago to avoid more contact with idiots.

dude. you were born in 88. so how are you associated with 80's when you were 2 years old in 1990? you may have caught the last part of the 90's. Emo was already out there for a while when you were born and died somewhere in the early-mid 90's. then came the 2000's when it was revived bye the makeup-wearing, depressive, myspace kids we all know. so I'd say you're more of a 2000's kid so don't go playin old school.
Quote by Megadethfan245
You apparently don't know than because once emo was pretty cool. Back when it was ONLY punk

I find this hard to believe, especially from someone who didn't know what emo was. Give me an example.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
I find this hard to believe, especially from someone who didn't know what emo was. Give me an example.

2 examples, Fugazi and Rites of Spring, great bands.
Quote by morciu

I love Fugazi, but I don't understand how that's emo.
you're a stone fox
Quote by morciu
Fugazi isn't emo.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Saint78
I love Fugazi, but I don't understand how that's emo.
You just need some emo educating.

But I'm not going to because these days I don't call anything emo. To me, emo doesn't exist. Or I don't care.

But anyways, this is my favorite example of emo because it shows the links between the Revolution Summer bands and the 90s Midwest bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxwRvNJTGU
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Or I don't care.

Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Quote by morciu
still don't see how fugazi isn't emo. sure they do have their own thing that sets them apart but it's still more emo than it is anything else.
Because they're after that scene. They come after that sound and don't sound like the Revolution Summer bands.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
Because they're after that scene. They come after that sound and don't sound like the Revolution Summer bands.

that's just nerding it out too much dude. good luck with that.
Quote by morciu
that's just nerding it out too much dude. good luck with that.
I don't even call emo bands emo anymore. I'm just letting you know what popular opinion is.

But Fugazi was started with the goal of being a dub version of the Stooges. Emo bands started as slower hardcore bands. That difference is what separates Fugazi from emo. I mean, compare Embrace/Rites and Fugazi. You can hear that in early Fugazi (mainly because the principle song writers in those bands are the principle song writers in Fugazi), but it's different enough to be called something else, which generally is post hardcore.

Listen to this song by SoulSide. Sure there's bits that sound similar to Fugazi, but it's pretty different.

But like I said, I don't care anymore so I don't know why I'm posting all this. MAYBE I CARE AFTER ALL!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by aCloudConnected
it's like we're in 2006 again

So true.

I remember being back in middle school in '06, where every damn person wanted attention.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Page 1 of 2