Quote by BBC
Liberal Democrat MP Jo Swinson complained that the L'Oreal adverts were "not representative of the results the products could achieve".

The Advertising Standards Authority agreed that the images were exaggerated and breached its code of conduct.

L'Oreal admitted retouching but denied that the two adverts were misleading.

Guy Parker, chief executive of the Advertising Standards Authority, told the BBC that airbrushing was a "question of degree" and that advertisements could only be banned if they were misleading, harmful or offensive.

"If advertisers go too far in using airbrushing and other post-production techniques to alter the appearance of models and it's likely to mislead people, then that's wrong and we'll stop the ads," he said.

The L'Oreal images were banned, said Mr Parker, because the company was unable to show exactly how much retouching had been done to the advert - a requirement for cosmetics adverts.

"Advertisers must be able to provide appropriate material to us to demonstrate what retouching they've done in the event we question them, and they mustn't mislead," said Mr Parker.

"In this event L'Oreal didn't provide us with that evidence so we were left with no choice but to uphold the complaint."

The French cosmetics firm admitted the image of Ms Turlington - promoting an "anti-ageing" foundation - had been altered to "lighten the skin, clean up make-up, reduce dark shadows and shading around the eyes, smooth the lips and darken the eyebrows".

However, it argued it still accurately reflected the results the product could achieve.

The advert featuring Julia Roberts - also for foundation - was down to her "naturally healthy and glowing skin", said the cosmetics firm, who added that the product had taken 10 years to develop.

It added that consumer tests had been positive, showing it helped make the skin "more radiant and luminous".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14304802

, about time misleading ads like that were banned.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
They need to ban those corona commercials. I never magically get transported to a beach when I drink it. I gag. Because it's awful.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I'll just drop this link here so you can see all the fun you'll be missing out on if retouched ads are banned:

http://www.psdisasters.com/

Oh nooo, you just had to link that site, didn't you Now I'll be browsing that for the next few hours.
I really hope the US sees this and does something similar.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Aw, I was going to link to this
Good on them anyways. Solid decision coming out from the UK for once. No offense UKers.

Next up they should ban ads saying their subscriptions offer "free surf" (fri surf in sweden) when they are limited to a certain GB/month. They say the smaller, cheaper subscriptions are something like 2 GB/month, and the more expensive one are "free surf" when they're in fact something like 10 gb/month. Not cool. Not cool at all.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Aw, I was going to link to this
Good on them anyways. Solid decision coming out from the UK for once. No offense UKers.

Next up they should ban ads saying their subscriptions offer "free surf" (fri surf in sweden) when they are limited to a certain GB/month. They say the smaller, cheaper subscriptions are something like 2 GB/month, and the more expensive one are "free surf" when they're in fact something like 10 gb/month. Not cool. Not cool at all.

Oh man, I raged something fierce when I got one of those UMTS sticks and thought "hey cool I can surf the web everywhere!" and then it cut me down to like 5kb/s after 2 GBs download. Had to pay for that crap for two friggin years.

Definitely not cool.
Fuuuuuck yeeeeees, this had better start happening in Canada/ US as well, it's ****ing infuriating, the bullshit.
that's a nice step forward. now it's time to do the same with the models on magazines like stuff and t3. seriously, they should start showing chubbier girls like adele that are just as beautiful just to show that you can be yourself and be more beautiful than all the models out there.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Jul 27, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
Oh man, I raged something fierce when I got one of those UMTS sticks and thought "hey cool I can surf the web everywhere!" and then it cut me down to like 5kb/s after 2 GBs download. Had to pay for that crap for two friggin years.

Definitely not cool.

I'm limited to 25 kb/s at the moment for the same reason. Been like this all month because I wanted to download something big at the start of the month

Seriously uncool.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Lol @ Europe and your monthly bandwidth limits.

The apartment I live in normally has internet that only cost $5 per month and it's 100mbit unlimited. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW??!?!?
Quote by CoreysMonster

But yeah this is good news, I approve.
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
I think the T-Mobil "truly unlimited" commercials should be banned. If you look at the fine print it says "Up to 5GB". So it's, you know, truly unlimited, as long as it's within their preset limits.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by laid-to-waste
that's a nice step forward. now it's time to do the same with the models on magazines like stuff and t3. seriously, they should start showing chubbier girls like adele that are just as beautiful just to show that you can be yourself and be more beautiful than all the models out there.

This should have been happening a long time ago. All this crap about people going anorexic/bulimic just to look like the size zero models plastered all over every advertisement and fashion advice magazine could have been avoided. That and ridiculously skinny people just aren't attractive. It's like being in a museum with all those ****ing bones.
Quote by rgrockr
I think the T-Mobil "truly unlimited" commercials should be banned. If you look at the fine print it says "Up to 5GB". So it's, you know, truly unlimited, as long as it's within their preset limits.

That's ridiculous. I mean they have fair use limits here on unlimited plans (usually about 250gb) but 5gb seems really low to start calling it unlimited.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by CoreysMonster
I'll just drop this link here so you can see all the fun you'll be missing out on if retouched ads are banned:

http://www.psdisasters.com/

*stupid thin*

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this one.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by papershredder
LOLing at Jersey

Jersey is really only bad by the shore. The people who are on that god-awful show aren't even native to the state, they're all try-hards from New York, Connecticut, and other New England states that just do it to try to fit in somewhere because they have no brain cells to do anything else with their lives.

Now, by Rutgers University and most other places around the state, it's usually pretty nice. Stop taking stereotypes so seriously when you've never been there (and no, I don't ride a horse everywhere in Texas). I'm sure England isn't full of this:

GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
I'm sure England isn't full of this:

yeah, it wouldn't occur to us to put a maypole in an american football stadium, or wear that sort of uniform.

this though, England is full of
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by Mechanixx
yeah, it wouldn't occur to us to put a maypole in an american football stadium, or wear that sort of uniform.

this though, England is full of

I sit corrected. Well played sir, well played.

GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by rgrockr

i have t-mobile. the data plan IS unlimited, the 5 GB thing is a "high speed limit" meaning that you'll get 5 GB of high speed internet, and for anything after that you're speed is lowered. you can still use the internet past 5 GB of data, it just won't be as fast.

plus, unless you tether your phone and use it as your primary internet source (as i did for a long time before getting Fios) i don't see how you can go over the 5 GB limit.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I approve
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing