I've got an Alexi-600 (alder body, maple neck-thru, ebony fretboard, 25.5" scale, Floyd Rose... essentially a very bright guitar) that needs a hot aggressive passive pickup that will thicken up its sound...

I'm considering...

-Seymour Duncan Alternative 8
-Dimarzio Tone Zone
-Dimarzio Breed

--->> (by the way, I'm not really looking to go Bareknuckle at the moment, I feel like I should first try the arsenal of more standard-priced ones before I decide BKP is for me, because who knows I might not even like it)

My amp is currently a Marshall JCM2000 TSL100 with an Orange PPC212 cab, running through an Ibanez TS7 as boost.

Any recommendations or general input? Or a pickup that fits the bill that I haven't considered?

Thanks!

--edit: general question: If you want a slightly warmer/darker-voiced pickup, is it necessary that the magnet be Alnico? Or can it be Ceramic and still be a quite beefy-sounding (and not too treble-y) pickup?

Will a ceramic pickup always sound like an ceramic and an alnico always sound like an alnico, regardless? Or are they simply voiced differently to begin with and can eventually be EQ'd?
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jul 27, 2011,
DiMarzio Super Distortion? That's a very nice, thick pickup IMO, I have one in my ML, which is basswood/maple, and it sounds REALLY punchy, miles moreso than my EMG 81/85-equipped mahogany/maple Schecter(which I really want to get new pups for). The Tone Zone sounds like a good option too, I think that's just a slightly midsier version of the Super Disto, with Alnico V magnets instead of the Super Disto's ceramic magnets.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
tone zone would probably work, yeah. if it's not too much of a good thing. But probably fine if your guitar really is that bright.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Damn, i was gonna say go for bareknuckles XD

I'd recommend the Seymour Duncan Invader, it's passive and has super high output, yet retaining all clarity.
I have the whole jb and jazz set up in my jackson and i feel the jb can still do heavy tones pretty well. go easy the gain and let the pick up really stand out and you get amazing tone.
idk just my opinion i say give the JB a try if you haven't already it might just be what you're looking for.
NEW SIGNATURE!
I can't recommend a specific pickup, but I can tell you that it's ridiculously easy to swap the magnet in a humbucker, if you decide to go a route that leaves you with a good pickup that needs a better magnet.

Alnico 5 seems to be darker, so that may be a good route. Alnico 8 seems to offer the clarity of a ceramic with some of the complex tone of an Alnico 5. Not quite as dark though.

This guy sells magnets http://cgi.ebay.com/Alnico-8-Humbucker-/220816624106?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3369b249ea
^ Hm... is it really? I'm so bad at hands-on mechanical stuff XD

About magnets though, general question: If you want a slightly warmer/darker-voiced pickup, is it necessary that the magnet be Alnico? Or can it be Ceramic and still be a quite beefy-sounding (and not too treble-y) pickup?

Will a ceramic pickup always sound like an ceramic and an alnico always sound like an alnico, regardless? Or are they simply voiced differently to begin with and can eventually be EQ'd?
Oh I got a couple.

First, there's the DiMarzio D-Activator X set. Very versatile, and hot pickup. Sounds alot like an active, but with the rawness of a passive.

And then there's my favorite, the Lace Drop and Gain. An amazing, overlooked pickup that can get some serious devastating distortion, and can handle anything drop tuned with out getting muddy. (Drop A)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lace-Drop-and-Gain-Humbucker-Pickup-305422-i1167970.gc?esid=lace+drop+and+gain

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP222-D-Activator-X-Humbucker-Bridge-Pickup-104911516-i1396290.gc

Though there are others, like the Super 2, and Super Distortion.
I just bought a Duncan Invader for my bridge on a project guitar and it sounds amazing. Most people say it sounds muddy, but if you're using it for distortion it's awesome. just eq the amp for a little more presence
Marshall DSL 40C
Gibson Les Paul Classic Lemonburst 2014
ENGL Fireball 60
Peavey 5150 412 Straight
CRATE Blue Voodoo BV120HB
CRATE GT412SL 4x12 Cab
Peavey Vypyr 15
Schecter C1-Elite w/Duncan Distortions
Quote by LostKeys

And then there's my favorite, the Lace Drop and Gain. An amazing, overlooked pickup that can get some serious devastating distortion, and can handle anything drop tuned with out getting muddy. (Drop A)

I can definitely agree with this. I tried a set in my Parker. They were monstrous.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by fixationdarknes
^ Hm... is it really? I'm so bad at hands-on mechanical stuff XD

About magnets though, general question: If you want a slightly warmer/darker-voiced pickup, is it necessary that the magnet be Alnico? Or can it be Ceramic and still be a quite beefy-sounding (and not too treble-y) pickup?

Well, they say a good ceramic is supposed to be better than Alnico. I don't know if thats the case though. I used a set of these once in a mahogany body 7 string. they are by far the darkest pickups I've ever used. And coupled with mahogany, they were too dark. I had to scoop the low-mid out almost entirely to make them sound good. I put them in an alder body guitar that lacked balls, and they went very well, not too dark at all just right. They are supposedly a high-end ceramic. Very beefy sounding pickups.

I also recommend getting an EQ pedal if you don't have one. It won't work miracles, but it gives you great control over your sound, and a pickup that may be a little lacking in one area can be made useable. This one is only $30 and well worth every penny.
i'm not sure, regarding the alnico versus ceramic thing. I fancy I can hear the magnets (in some pickups, anyway), but that might just be the placebo effect. I'd say that the mediocre ceramic pickups i've tried sounded very ceramic, but the good ceramic pickups i've tried (e.g. bkp miracle man) were a whole other kettle of fish.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?