Well a good friend of mine's bridge pick up went down at his rehearsal. He's done me some pretty big favors, Is gigging (I'm not), and My amp is out of action until the replacement tubes come in the mail, so he asked me to "borrow" my bridge pup. I just gave it to him. The old one was too dark with my amp anyways.

So I need a new bridge pick up! I've been looking at Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio. SD had some pretty nice choices, I thought. But DiMarzio's "vintage" page seemed pretty weak compared to their high output (in quality, not power!) if I'm wrong, please say so.

Guitar: Jackson RR/ Alder Body, Maple Neck, 25.5" scale, Floating trem= bright. Rosewood Fingerboard
Amp: B52 AT 112 (dark, 6L6 driven)
Budget: >$100

I play a lot of different stuff and I need a Humbucker that can deliver Both dirty and clean.
I play Classic Heavy Metal like NWOBHM, especially Judas Priest and Old Metallica.
Classic Hard Rock like George Thorogood or ZZ Top.
Electric Blues (Sweet Home Chicago, anyone?)
And finally Old Country, strictly old, rockabilly style country: Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, etc. I need good cleans for the softer stuff and a real vintage crunch for the first two. Nothing modern sounding please!

Any help is really appreciated.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 27, 2011,
I've been particularly interested in Duncan's Customs. How does the SH-5 Custom differ from the Custom Custom and Custom 5 you listed?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 27, 2011,
where are you located?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by VanTheKraut
I've been particularly interested in Duncan's Customs. How does the SH-5 Custom differ from the Custom Custom and Custom 5 you listed?

The Custom has a ceramic magnet, the Custom Custom an Alnico II and the Custom 5 an Alnico V.
I havnt tried them yet, but definitly check out BG pickups. Good prices and I have yet to hear a bad word about them. I am considering ordering a Hellabucker myself.
If you wanna save a few bucks, The GFS fat pat is really nice, kinda like a duncan sh4 with the openess of a dimarzio, I hope that makes sence. You might like the Pearly Gates in the bridge and a jazz in the neck, that willget you some diecent output, but nothing modern sounding.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well the fact that I can go to YouTube or the SD/DiMarzio website and hear them. I'm leaning towards them instead of GFS/ Iron Gear/ etc. Though I hear they are of good quality.

Do you guys think the Duncan Customs have enough output to do the Classic Metal with just my amp's distortion (high gain amp)? Or would I need an OD to help it get there.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

I like my Seymour Duncan SD-4 JB in my Les Paul, but i hear they are quite tempermental depending on the bodywood/construction, so i don't know if it'll be as good for you.

Its got a great, souped-up PAF tone, very versatile, good for metal, hard rock and blues! Plus, it can be set up for Coil Tap, if you want single coil tones